Lt. Commander
# 11
02-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post

Well, perhaps Cryptic does care because frankly, this lock-box / master-key thing seems a bit more harmless and merciful than giving us dancing Pandas and then threatening to kill off them off if we don't feed them their special leafs...
< Deep down in the PW / Cryptic evil base at the C-Store Marketing Office in Cubical B >
My god. LordOfPit is a genius. Quick. Get the CEOs on the line. I have a dancing panda idea that will make us rich.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Well in my opinion... it wouldnt.

True, a few people would be more likley be temptet to be buy keys for their 5 boxes, but seing their 50 boxes they'd react like "I can never efford to open them, so I dont start in the first place".

But... I'm sorry if i'm insulting anyone... but to say it harsh: that thought would require either more brain cells then any person buying the keys can have... or the people who buy it have to have so much money that they do not care in the first place if they invest hundrets of dollars or euros - so that thought isnt an issue for them.
I dont see much in between.

Most people I see arround are smart enough not to start in the first place, and they wouldnt with 2 or 200 boxes.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish View Post
My god. LordOfPit is a genius. Quick. Get the CEOs on the line. I have a dancing panda idea that will make us rich.
For my next trick I'm going to show BioWare how to utilize Companions as Bridge Officers on Player-ships in SWTOR. Also, get Blizzard to add player-owned Battleships in WoW that players can take to the open seas and fight it out in Azeroth.

EDIT :: Seriously speaking though, regarding the quantity of the lockboxes, Cryptic is fighting a psychological war of attrition and every time you log into a character and look at your inventory, you're faced with the choice of either deleting the boxes or buying keys to unlock them. The gamble Cryptic is taking is that out of 100 people who look at their inventories and see 100 boxes, 20 of those people are going to delete 80 of their boxes and open the other 20. That's $500 right there no matter the source of the CP's used in buying the keys!
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
For my next trick I'm going to show BioWare how to utilize Companions as Bridge Officers on Player-ships in SWTOR. Also, get Blizzard to add player-owned Battleships in WoW that players can take to the open seas and fight it out in Azeroth.
If you could convince TOR to remove the rails you would be our savior..
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
If you could convince TOR to remove the rails you would be our savior..
They've already said that was in the works for a future content publish.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
They've already said that was in the works for a future content publish.
Jeez way to ruin the joke roll. sigh... Well lordofpit looks like I will have to worship you for battleships in WOW. but only if we can get a liam neeson voice over when one sinks.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-15-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't doubt they are making great money on boxes but how long will it be before that runs out. Eventually the stream of people coming in will dry up. Because they haven't made an effort to keep anyone playing long term. Plenty of players still get bored with STO in a month because they have done everything in STO many times over.

Lots of people don't care about buying a new ship. To do content they were bored with a year ago. Until they start making a decent amount of game play on a regular basis. It's just going to be a revolving door game. Because many think there is no reason to spend money on a game with nothing to do. Not to mention the ones they have angered and wont spend until there are massive improvements.

A featured series every four to six months wont keep them here, spending money.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish View Post
Well lordofpit looks like I will have to worship you for battleships in WOW. but only if we can get a liam neeson voice over when one sinks.
Pure genius!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
I don't doubt they are making great money on boxes but how long will it be before that runs out. Eventually the stream of people coming in will dry up. Because they haven't made an effort to keep anyone playing long term. Plenty of players still get bored with STO in a month because they have done everything in STO many times over.

Lots of people don't care about buying a new ship. To do content they were bored with a year ago. Until they start making a decent amount of game play on a regular basis. It's just going to be a revolving door game. Because many think there is no reason to spend money on a game with nothing to do. Not to mention the ones they have angered and wont spend until there are massive improvements.

A featured series every four to six months wont keep them here, spending money.
That has always been my feeling. Why do I need a new ship, uniform or weapon if there is nothing to do with it? Quality, meaningfully repayable, content would help alleviate that. The DOff system does not exactly require too many of the game's bell's and whistles, but it's a good example of said content.

I have no idea what percentage of active players these days are new since F2P, but it is probably a rather high number. Those are the customers who will be making purchases, since they have "new" content to play with their items.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-15-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm ok with the dropping chance of the boxes.
It was fun to get one from a heavy plasma torpedo