Lt. Commander
# 21
02-15-2012, 01:44 PM
I consider the gambler's boxes to be a vicious slap in the face to every loyal customer of this game.

I was perfectly willing, and did, purchase ships from the c-store as well as various other items. Loyalty and a willingness to put money in their pockets in exchange for a predictable item is no longer good enough, it seems. I do not believe or accept the "blame CBS" line and will not until we see documentation and the name of a person authorized to make that decision at CBS.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
*Somthing about pandas, I was confused due to text color*[/color]
its still pretty malicious with boxes being 10x more common then any other drop in the game, plus the system messages that spew (possibly fake) names at you about people getting the Galor.

Its like the game is saying:

"SOMEONE GOT A SHIP DID YOU BUY A KEY?"

"ARE YOU BUYING KEYS YET?"
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by platewearingbird View Post
its still pretty malicious with boxes being 10x more common then any other drop in the game, plus the system messages that spew (possibly fake) names at you about people getting the Galor.

Its like the game is saying:

"ARE YOU BUYING KEYS YET?"
In response, allow me to quote a later post I made:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Seriously speaking though, regarding the quantity of the lockboxes, Cryptic is fighting a psychological war of attrition and every time you log into a character and look at your inventory, you're faced with the choice of either deleting the boxes or buying keys to unlock them. The gamble Cryptic is taking is that out of 100 people who look at their inventories and see 100 boxes, 20 of those people are going to delete 80 of their boxes and open the other 20. That's $500 right there no matter the source of the CP's used in buying the keys!
Malicious or not, it's working and there's not much we can do to stop it other than delete the boxes or simply not bother logging in!
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-15-2012, 02:08 PM
I'll only forgive Cryptic when they double their development team and bury me with massive content updates on a regular basis.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Not to state the obvious here, but keep in mind the boxes aren't designed for you [veterans]. It's designed for those noobs who haven't seen ships decked out in full purple XI or XII gear. I know lots of people who got the non-unique items and were quite happy because it was a nice improvement over what they have. It's a matter of perspective.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Boxes tend to be worth 1 ec on the exchange.... this drop rate is way too high. After I got a few hundred on all my characters I just "pass" them now. Oh and yeah..I haven't, and will not buy a single key from this latest scam.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johhanne View Post
For me, Cryptic really dropped the ball on the lock boxes. They drop so often that many people just ignore/pass on them. I could have 50 easily in a play session.

I can't possibly buy keys for them all - so I buy keys for NONE. Now say the boxes dropping were rarer - say I could expect 3 or 4 a week - maybe I'd buy keys for them. Maybe I'd be excited to get them.

Anyone else think the frequency of drop rates is HURTING key sales?

Jo
+1. That's why Team Fortress 2 is doing so well. The lock boxes there drop relatively rarely. I think STO (and alot of F2Ps) could learn a thing or two from Valve.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidKnight View Post
+1. That's why Team Fortress 2 is doing so well. The lock boxes there drop relatively rarely. I think STO (and alot of F2Ps) could learn a thing or two from Valve.
But if they make the lockboxes rare, then that limits the ability of people to get the Galor, and that might make people complain just as much? (But then it would actually make the Galor, you know, rare in the game, like we're told it's supposed to.)

I have to laugh, though. With all the Galor spam from the past week or so, to play Second Wave and to hear the Cardassian ambassador say that the Union is still weak and has only a small police force and doesn't have the resources to make any sort of militarily significant stance.... Well, then, maybe you shouldn't be handing out your cruisers to random people (and plasma torpedoes), now should you?!
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Boxes tend to be worth 1 ec on the exchange.... this drop rate is way too high. After I got a few hundred on all my characters I just "pass" them now. Oh and yeah..I haven't, and will not buy a single key from this latest scam.
And that's an extra 20 clicks you have to do every ground STF. I wish you could opt out of certain loot.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
And that's an extra 20 clicks you have to do every ground STF. I wish you could opt out of certain loot.
And that my friend is Exactly what I was going to say, give me 3 loot options here an I would squee with joy.

#1 Automatic green box destroy (and gold if it has to be do not care)
#2 Automatic common food recycling
#3 Automatic banking of commodities drops/rewards

would just make my year