Lt. Commander
# 1 Money in the future?
02-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Several times in Star Trek, they mention that there is no money in the future. Hunger, poverty, homelessness have all been removed.

Yet, there are times they do mention some sort of currency. During the TNG episode where everyone was bartering for the rights of that one wormhole that led to the Delta Quadrant, Riker was offering several thousand Credits. Janeway had the price of an item doubled by a Vulcan when he saw her starfleet badge. DS9 crew had to pay at Quark's somehow!

So, I was wondering, what is the economy like in the future. Then it hit me like a car slamming into a brick wall. Right now, we are in a pay to play economy. The future is going to be free to play/ pay to win!

Sure, you can play for free. Get housing, food, etc, but if you want the gooood stuff, get a job and earn some credits!

And for those who don't know what an Energy Credit is, it is like this. Everything costs energy to produce. Power, replicated goods, etc. An energy credit is literally what it sounds like, a credit of energy.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2012, 01:08 PM
money gets complex in star trek, and things often dont add up.

it should be said that its mostly humanity that does not use money. other races even within the federation, do. so its not gone entirely. having no money is not a requirement of joining the federation.

its also shown that while humans dont need money, thats not to say they dont own some money. many of them win at dabo for example. they can then use that money to buy extra stuff. its just not something that drives them any more.

i can only imagine the federation keeps a currency of sorts, lets call them credits, for dealing with other races.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo

i can only imagine the federation keeps a currency of sorts, lets call them credits, for dealing with other races.
Federation credits. We don't accept federation credits here. only money. ( PS wiki page on Federation credits in link )
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
"Energy is the currency of the future." - CEO Nwabudike Morgan

Fictitious as the above quote is, the truth of it has never been more real. It's something Star Trek got right, society just hasn't caught up with this concept yet. It's why money has gone from a standard to paper to electronic.

Notice the countries with the largest energy consumption also have the largest economic impact. That's no coincidence.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
"Energy is the currency of the future." - CEO Nwabudike Morgan

Fictitious as the above quote is, the truth of it has never been more real. It's something Star Trek got right, society just hasn't caught up with this concept yet. It's why money has gone from a standard to paper to electronic.

Notice the countries with the largest energy consumption also have the largest economic impact. That's no coincidence.
Which makes you wonder we are spending so much money on "green" energies when that same money could provide proven nuclear energy.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Nuclear fission energy is good, but has one major potential problem. There have been a couple of incidents, though human failure was part of each one.

GIVE ME NUCLEAR FUSION ENERGY! The only trick is getting it started, but once it does.... safe and nearly unlimited power.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Dont get me on a Anti-NWO rampage.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2012, 04:24 PM
There is always money...... O_O
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Its really a utopian ideal that the Federation pushes an an example to others. It much easier uphold these ideals if you are serving for Star Fleet where all your essential needs are met. It worked really well n TNG .... not so much in DS9.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverius View Post
Nuclear fission energy is good, but has one major potential problem. There have been a couple of incidents, though human failure was part of each one.

GIVE ME NUCLEAR FUSION ENERGY! The only trick is getting it started, but once it does.... safe and nearly unlimited power.
But according to Star Trek, do one better. We go from the evils of nuclear energy to the positives of matter/antimatter reactions. Now, tell me which one is more likely to leave the planet behind when there is an oops.