Lt. Commander
# 1 Best shield tanking cruiser
02-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I am looking for some input on the best shield tanking cruiser. (other than the tier 5 excelsior). and maybe some pointers on the best Boff abilities setup for the shield tanking ship.

EDIT: I know there are a bunch of post on this subject but with all the changes and new ships in the past few months are they still relevant posts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Sort of bump...

I only ask because of all the changes to the game over the last few months. a lot has changed.

anyone have a reliable Sovereign set up? Boff skills and gear that works with the new changes?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Here's what I do.

2 copies of Emergency Power to Shields, 1 Tac Team, 1 Transfer Shield Strength, Shield Batteries (for small heal/short shield resist and regen buff), Auxilliary Batteries (before using TSS to beef it up).

Macro set up to fire weapons, balance shields and activate either copy of EPtS.

This works for me in most situations.

However you can go further, adding another copy of Tac Team and another copy of TSS to increase the uptime of these skills and their buffs. Although you'll have to go without some other skills to do this. Personally I use 1 copy of TSS and use Hazard Emitters for the other sci Boff power because I can counter more threats that way, and I use 1 copy of Tac Team because otherwise my offense is even less imposing.

Covarient shields (if you can't get the MACO shields) are pretty popular because of the high capacity which helps when Tac Team redirects shield strength for you, and because of the shield heals from EPtS and TSS diminishing your reliance on natural shield regen. If you're using two copies of TSS, a resilient shield can work to mitigate bleedthrough damage. As for consoles, Field Generator (the +35% shield capacity one) is a must and Shield Emitter sci consoles help too with TSS.

I fly a Galaxy refit and my setup works for me, however the above is viable for all cruisers, Sovvy and Excelsior if you want mroe powers for offense, star cruiser so you can have 2 copies of TSS and 1 of HE. Not looked into this with the Oddy though, but it'll probably work well as it has a higher shield strength modifier than the other cruisers. Galaxy refit is, I'm told, the worst VA cruiser, I just fly it for the love of that ship.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2012, 07:53 PM
With the SOV, limited to one shield Engineer heal and Sci, the third backup comes from the Doffs, especially the Maintainence ones, that helps when using the Brace for Impact feature *double stack them--each gives 40% chance for shield heal*

And also attain, if you can...Deflectors that help increase Shield and Hull strength.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Personally I'd say the Odyssey would be the best shield tanking cruiser with it's boost to overall shield and +10 power to both shields and Aux.

Transfer Shield Strength 3, Emergency Power to Shields 3 and Science Team can all be used together...

For shields themselves I'd go for the MACO, the bonus to power levels, while not much, will help overall resistance and heals though for overall capacity Covariant with Cap3 can't be beat (br the Partrinic rewrd shield)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen666 View Post
Personally I'd say the Odyssey would be the best shield tanking cruiser with it's boost to overall shield and +10 power to both shields and Aux.

Transfer Shield Strength 3, Emergency Power to Shields 3 and Science Team can all be used together...

For shields themselves I'd go for the MACO, the bonus to power levels, while not much, will help overall resistance and heals though for overall capacity Covariant with Cap3 can't be beat (br the Partrinic rewrd shield)
How much cap does the COV capx3 give? is it higher than the reman cov mrk 11 which gives about 7093ish when used on my sov on my ody is higher.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Odyssey with Sci team 3, and aux2si 3, and whatever. Make sure you have two maintenance engineers, and you have two very powerful heals every 15 seconds. Not enough dps for me though.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Shield tanking for shield tanking sake is pretty ineffective.

However here is a build that will let you do some damage, give others heals and give you a very strong shield tanking ability

1. Get a MACO Shield it has 10% damage resist , 3 Part Borg set, for auto shield heals and the auto hull heals , this is a very powerful set up

Tac
Tac Team (auto balances shields fab skill)
Attack Pattern delta (gives you damage resists when fired on and debuffs the thing shooting you)
Eng Commander
Emergany Power to shields 1 , heals and damage resists
Reverse shield polarity 1 , turns incoming damage into shield heals
Engineering team 3 hull heal can be used on others too
Extend Shields 3 (best skill in game you get given one of these and you'll tank near anything)
Eng Ltd commander
Emergency power to weapons 1
Emergany Power to shields 2 heals and damage resists
Aux to Sif 2 , quick hull heal and damage resist
Science Lt
Hazzard emitters 1 , hull heal damage resist
Transfer shield strength 2 great shield heal with damage resist and can be used to heal others too
Ensign sci
Transfer shield strength 1 great shield heal with damage resist and can be used to heal others too

This is sci cruiser , if you go assualt cruiser , take FAW

Get the Doffs to reduce your Tac Team and Eng Team cool down and the Shield Dist brace for impact ones as mentioned above

Try get you speed to 23 say engine power 60ish for max defense , set your shields to 50 the emergancy power to shields will keep the power up, weapons full power.

With, Maco Shields, Attack Pattern DELTA, Emergency shields, Transfer shields on you your resist will be sky high and you will be very hard to kill
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions and replies. Lots to choose from.

I was thinking the Odyssey would be better for shield tanking but I love the Sovereign. Maybe I'll stick with the Odyssey until a +1 of the Sovereign gets made.

Here's my Boff skill setup for the Odyssey right now.

Sci ens slot : Science team 1

Sci Lt slot : Hazard emitters 1, Transfer shield strength 2

lt cmdr universal slot : (engineer) EP to weapons 1, Reverse shield polarity 1, EP to Shields 3,

Engineering CMDR slot : EP to Weapons 1, Engineering team 2, EP to Shields 3, Aux to SiF 3

Tac Lt slot : Target Shields Subsystems 1, Torpedo: High Yield 2

I was thinking of changing the first tac ability to tac team 1.

any suggestions???
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpost View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions and replies. Lots to choose from.

I was thinking the Odyssey would be better for shield tanking but I love the Sovereign. Maybe I'll stick with the Odyssey until a +1 of the Sovereign gets made.

Here's my Boff skill setup for the Odyssey right now.

Sci ens slot : Science team 1

Sci Lt slot : Hazard emitters 1, Transfer shield strength 2

lt cmdr universal slot : (engineer) EP to weapons 1, Reverse shield polarity 1, EP to Shields 3,

Engineering CMDR slot : EP to Weapons 1, Engineering team 2, EP to Shields 3, Aux to SiF 3

Tac Lt slot : Target Shields Subsystems 1, Torpedo: High Yield 2

I was thinking of changing the first tac ability to tac team 1.

any suggestions???
First off, let me say this: Fly the ship you love. I do, I fly the "worst" cruiser yet it's still viable for Elite STF's and PvP. You can make the Sovvy a viable option, and you'll enjoy it all the more for doing so.

Right, there have been reccomendations for getting Doffs to reduce the CD on various Team powers, do not rely on this, this is getting changed once Heretic decides what to change it to.

It looks like you're trying to get 100% uptime on both shield and weapon EPtX skills and unfortunately, I really don't reccomend this. Mainly because the damage buff is only 10 seconds long from EPtW and you should be able to hit the power level cap without even using this, it's better to replace it with another heal, or perhaps EPtAUX to buff your sci heals. You can do it but you'll notice a pretty poor uptime on the EPtW damage buff. Defiantely do this for EPtS though cause you'll get 100% uptime on both th epower level boost and the shield resist.

If you're serious about shield tanking, Tac Team is a must because it'll redirect those shields faster than you can which helps you to keep that enemy at bay while your heals do their work on your other shield facings or while on CD. 1 is enough for me but you can have 2 in a Sovvy.