Lt. Commander
# 1 21 Phasers
02-15-2012, 09:42 PM
I'll be away from the forums for a few days after tonight, more than likely.

5 years ago today (the 16th) my roommate was killed.

I was going back through photos of everyone together and the ones that stood out to me were the ones of him in his Captain Kirk shirt.

Obviously, he never played STO but we used to have a lot of fun in City of Heroes with the character creator. One of my last memories was us remaking all of our friends in there. I started my WoW main at his request today, not even knowing what would happen to him a few hours later.

We used to have these photos on the living room wall, all 8x10 and B&W of Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday, Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones, and Captain Kirk. After Bob died, we put his photo up there with them.

To this day, I'll always remember our conversations:

We all wanted to be more like Picard.

Sisko rocked so much awesome he could make your head explode.

Voyager wasn't as bad as we'd thought when we watched it in reruns. Heck, it was pretty good.

Klingons were actually pretty bad***.

But, at the end of the day, Kirk was the man.

Here's to the first friend I ever had who also spent his teenage years learning Klingon and memorizing the Star Trek Encyclopedia, who loved the Twilight Zone and collected vintage Ray Bradbury books. And somehow made all of that naturally seem like something any rockstar would do.

Keep a bat'leth ready for me in Sto-vo-kor, buddy.

I'd had nerd friends before but they were more Star Wars and super-heroes. I'd been to comic-con before but this was like living there.

Anybody else remember the first time you fell into a group of Trekkies...? It's like that. :-)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2012, 09:47 PM
All Cardassian ships are firing weapons in your friend's honor and the spirit of true friendship. The forums will miss you for those days and we will remember with you into the future.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2012, 10:21 PM
I would like to say that me, and the crew of the USS Hood will be doing a 21 Photon Salute to your roommate, friend, and fellow officer.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2012, 10:31 PM
In honour of your friend, I assure you that no Tal Shiar vessel will attack the Federation for 21 days. Sadly, I cannot speak for the rest of my people...

Really though, my thoughts and prayers to you and yours. Be well, mate.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2012, 11:02 PM
You're a good friend, Leviathan, to remember the people you've cherished so.

My respects to you and your friend.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2012, 06:23 AM
That was a very moving story. It reminded me of a friend I've lost, and the nostalgia of good times past. It will be an honor to fire the cannons in memory of your roommate!
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2012, 09:09 AM
The Jevonite Order will be providing a 21 phaser salute for this young man's friend and all lost friends. Honor and Glory my friend.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2012, 10:25 AM
I think your friend is with you every time you play STO, enjoying the game right by your side.

Peace to you.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'll be away from the forums for a few days after tonight, more than likely.

5 years ago today (the 16th) my roommate was killed.

I was going back through photos of everyone together and the ones that stood out to me were the ones of him in his Captain Kirk shirt.

Obviously, he never played STO but we used to have a lot of fun in City of Heroes with the character creator. One of my last memories was us remaking all of our friends in there. I started my WoW main at his request today, not even knowing what would happen to him a few hours later.

We used to have these photos on the living room wall, all 8x10 and B&W of Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday, Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones, and Captain Kirk. After Bob died, we put his photo up there with them.

To this day, I'll always remember our conversations:

We all wanted to be more like Picard.

Sisko rocked so much awesome he could make your head explode.

Voyager wasn't as bad as we'd thought when we watched it in reruns. Heck, it was pretty good.

Klingons were actually pretty bad***.

But, at the end of the day, Kirk was the man.

Here's to the first friend I ever had who also spent his teenage years learning Klingon and memorizing the Star Trek Encyclopedia, who loved the Twilight Zone and collected vintage Ray Bradbury books. And somehow made all of that naturally seem like something any rockstar would do.

Keep a bat'leth ready for me in Sto-vo-kor, buddy.

I'd had nerd friends before but they were more Star Wars and super-heroes. I'd been to comic-con before but this was like living there.

Anybody else remember the first time you fell into a group of Trekkies...? It's like that. :-)
Take care man. STO brings some space adventure fantasy to life for us and I can understand why a part of you would imaging he is playing it with you just for a moment. Like what his character would be etc.

Good friends leave that kind of mark especially if lost young. I know it ain't easy.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-20-2012, 07:00 AM
a good idea to honour your friend in this way ...