2. Attempt to find things - as you experience, doing a google type 'general info' search on the "all" tab often does not work. Searching for a phaser gives you all sorts of nonsense of the wrong level, so, the logical process to use the exchange is...
3. Look at your existing ship's equipment. Are you using Mark VIII (Mk 8) equipment? Want to get a cheap disruptor beam (no one uses them) instead of a phaser (overpriced)?
4. Go to Exchange - Ship Weapons. Search for Mk VIII
5. Viola, you now know how to precisely search for Captain's rank items
6. Apply same logic to your own search - search for the item level (Mk) and not the item name
7. For other misc items, try to search by typing in the first part of the item's name. Like, buying mineral samples? Search for 'mineral'
8. You cannot search for duty officers by class, role or traits right now. To search for doffs on the exchange, randomly type one letter and look at the results. I.e., seach for "a", "b", etc.
Hope it helps. If you need further tutorials, PM me or ask for me in-game tomorrow morning (EST time).
ps. I once was discussing cats and pillows and searched for meow in the exchange. I bought a duty officer named Meow! :3
Thanks, I had most of that figured out but I was wondering about the selling items side of using the exchange.
Thank goodness and the wonderful contributors at the wiki, there are lists of names of duty officers listed by type, skill, and attributes. I found a nice quartermaster that way, which is good because my mean one always fails.