Lt. Commander
# 1 Daily game downtime
02-16-2012, 07:27 AM
ok this is geting stupid !!!!

How can you really need to have 2 hours daily for maintenance, this really is unacceptable.
Either your devs are idiotic or perfectionist.

Please i would rather have downtime once a week maximum and if there is a bug just wait for a few days for it to be resolved.

please stop taking it down on a daily basis.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kill4virus

How can you really need to have 2 hours daily for maintenance, this really is unacceptable.

Please i would rather have downtime once a week maximum and if there is a bug just wait for a few days for it to be resolved.

I rather see the daily patches and downtime! It means stuff is being done to improve our gamming experience...
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2012, 07:34 AM
It's only "daily downtime" if the game goes down every day. It doesn't. It's usually every other day.

The main thing to keep in mind here is that the game ALWAYS goes down on Thursdays. That's the day they do their primary patching; plus it's the day the implement the new C-Store items and new FE part into the game for Saturday. No matter whatever emergency/unexpected maintenance happens any other time of the week Thursdays should always be planned for by the player-base.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2012, 07:49 AM
FE ? What is FE?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2012, 07:50 AM
FE stands for Feature Episode.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2012, 07:54 AM
love how when theres daily maintenance people always whine. I think theres more then one game other than star trek online? I think there are anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Quote:

I really do not understand how you can start insulting people who hold the plug to this game...sure you can by all means express your thoughts, and opinions, but is it really necessary to throw around insults? If downtime in a game drives you mad enough to insult the Devs, then perhaps you should re think your priorities.
Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Hmm i havnt seen any improvement myself, but maybe i just havnt noticed.
but with so much content i would happily go do something else while its being fixed.

and im not suggesting not to improve the gameplay. but also with the daily patches they are getting into the frame of mind , "hmmm will this work well if not we can just roll back the patch tomorrow :/"
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
It's only "daily downtime" if the game goes down every day. It doesn't. It's usually every other day.

The main thing to keep in mind here is that the game ALWAYS goes down on Thursdays. That's the day they do their primary patching; plus it's the day the implement the new C-Store items and new FE part into the game for Saturday. No matter whatever emergency/unexpected maintenance happens any other time of the week Thursdays should always be planned for by the player-base.

Many thanks for this

love how when theres daily maintenance people always whine. I think theres more then one game other than star trek online? I think there are anyway.

Yes there are other games apart from STO but i am currently playing STO

I really do not understand how you can start insulting people who hold the plug to this game

By that you mean the paying customer ????
Trust me these people dont work for free.

I have noticed a certain amount of downtime for the past week on a daily basis.
I run game servers myself. Granted on a smaller scale and smaller budget. But regardless I would be ashamed to have this amount of downtime regardless of the reasons.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Many thanks for this

I really do not understand how you can start insulting people who hold the plug to this game

By that you mean the paying customer ????
Trust me these people dont work for free.
Have you ever seen those signs in the post office or bank that says our staff deserve to be treated with respect etc?

Insulting devs, calling them idiots or perfectionists perhaps says more about your own character than theirs and it certainly will not help your case.

Just because you pay for a service doesn't mean you can throw abuse to the service provider. I run my own business too and sometimes have to put up with a lot of crap from customers (although 99% show respect and tolerance), in rare cases I have simply sent the job back and refused to work for them, money will not buy my self respect that I would lose had I taken it on the chin.

Maintenance is a constant requirement of a game so large and complex as STO especially with new content, bug fixes and a lot more players recently. Most players would be happy to settle for a couple of hours a day scheduled maintenance rather than a system crash half way through an elite STF.

As for timing well Cryptic are in the Pacific timezone, they come in at 7am to apply the patch etc, they have looked at the times when the demand is lowest throughout the world and they generally use those times. If you are in Europe or the UK (like me) then yes it can be at an inconvenient time for us, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

And in any case they are adding: "The water in Starfleet Academy has had splashiness added" so what more could you want?