Lt. Commander
So, yes, I expect that a standard response to this question will be: "It's a video game, and it's meant to be entertaining."

Yes, and Star Trek was an entertaining TV show that also dealt with serious issues.

Can you name 1 mission in this game that thoughtfully, provocatively, and intelligently deals with a serious issue that relates to our world, our past, or our future?

Beyond just the realities of war, territory, etc., is there a Cryptic mission that deals with a serious issue, in the way that the television shows attempted to do?

Can you name a featured episode the "stood for something," advocated an argument about "inane human rights," or generally put forth some kind of "point of view"?

By "serious," you can take your pick of isms: racism, anti-semitism, nationalism, etc. Or, you could try to relate a Cryptic mission to some of the more preachy episodes of Trek, from "Let that Be your Last Battlefield" to Voy's "Critical Care."

Thanks for playing the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
So, yes, I expect that a standard response to this question will be: "It's a video game, and it's meant to be entertaining."

Yes, and Star Trek was an entertaining TV show that also dealt with serious issues.

Can you name 1 mission in this game that thoughtfully, provocatively, and intelligently deals with a serious issue that relates to our world, our past, or our future?

Beyond just the realities of war, territory, etc., is there a Cryptic mission that deals with a serious issue, in the way that the television shows attempted to do?

By "serious," you can take your pick of isms: racism, anti-semitism, nationalism, etc. Or, you could try to relate a Cryptic mission to some of the more preachy episodes of Trek, from "Let that Be your Last Battlefield" to Voy's "Critical Care."

Thanks for playing the forums.
Does the character editor only offering bipedal races confront the issue of racism? I kid of course, but not a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Breen Series - Slavery
Reman Series - Slavery; Racism; Rebellion; Freedom
Fek'Ihri Series - Spirituality; Good vs Evil

Those are the ones I can think of off-hand.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2012, 07:11 PM
I think the closest they got to serious was killing the Jem' Hadar baby in that mission. I hope they took that out because that was wrong and really bizarre for a quest in a video game.

The only serious issue they deal with, is the problem of greed. That's demonstrated by the management of the game and not a mission. Most of the game is just blah blah blah kill'em all. This game really has nothing to do with Star Trek other than the skins.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Breen Series - Slavery

Please elaborate. It's been a long time since I played these missions. How exactly did these series deal with issues of slavery, etc.? How were the issues presented in a thoughtful and provocative way?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Can you name a featured episode the "stood for something," advocated an argument about "inane human rights," or generally put forth some kind of "point of view"?
Closest thing would be the Cloaked Intentions episodes. Do ends justify the means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Breen Series - Slavery

It "deals with" them but you can't affect the outcome in any way.

Edit: Except obviously the reman series
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Please elaborate. It's been a long time since I played these missions. How exactly did these series deal with issues of slavery, etc.? How were the issues presented in a thoughtful and provocative way?
Maybe you should replay them and see first hand?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Cstore issues, yes
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Yes, to all.

The main storyline, if you read the text, has several of these moments:
  • Rights of minority groups, including political self-determination
    • whether Reman nationalism during Romulan Featured Series or even holograms during the main storyline

• "Just War" theory and protected roles during combat
    • you can reject Drake's offer during the main storyline, if I recall

• Treatment of prisoners of war
    • see Deferi Featured Series; due to being a game, you can violate these beliefs, usually failing the mission

• Interventionism versus Isolationism
    • see Klingon hardline interventionist stance, Federation's growing interventionist stance, and the hard-line isolationism of minor factions in the game--who you usually kill.

• Slavery and trafficking within the Klingon Empire.

• Appeasement of State Terrorist Actions
    • see Breen daily, where you can pay off the Breen with latinum..

• Nature of Propaganda/double-speak
    • Anything involving Section 31 or the the same mentioned Breen Daily above.

• Worker rights and labor unions
    • see first "diplomatic" mission in main Fed Storyline on the mining colony.
The list goes on.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Yes, to all.

The main storyline, if you read the text, has several of these moments:
  • Rights of minority groups, including political self-determination (whether Reman nationalism during Romulan Featured Series or even holograms during the main storyline)
  • "Just War" theory and protected roles during combat (you can reject Drake's offer during the main storyline, if I recall).
  • Treatment of prisoners of war (see Deferi Featured Series; due to being a game, you can violate these beliefs, usually failing the mission)
  • Interventionism versus Isolationism (see Klingon hardline interventionist stance, Federation's growing interventionist stance, and the hard-line isolationism of minor factions in the game--who you usually kill).
  • Slavery and trafficking within the Klingon Empire.
  • Worker rights and labor unions (see first "diplomatic" mission in main Fed Storyline).

The list goes on.

Gee, I probably need to play the game all over again. Can you specify as to what makes these missions thoughtful and provocative, in comparison with episodes of Star Trek? Yes, I guess I should replay them to understand.

How do they compare with Star Trek's attempts to deal with the same issues?