Lt. Commander
# 21
02-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
But DK, I asked if these missions compared to Star Trek, plain and simple.
Some do and some don't. Not every episode of Star Trek, of all the series, were gems. No one's holding up banners for Spock's Brain or The Royale, after all.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Some do and some don't. Not every episode of Star Trek, of all the series, were gems. No one's holding up banners for Spock's Brain or The Royale, after all.
So true, "Cold Comfort" was more medically nuanced and covered prisoners of war much better than Spock's Brain from TOS.

Don't get anyone started on The Animated Series.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
You never asked whether the game as whole is more thoughtful/nuanced/etc. than the entirety of the Star Trek series (including film and television). This is a goalpost you moved later on. I already pointed out that the original questions did not ask this.

To answer your new questions, obviously the answer is no. This game cannot compare as a whole to the series, nor its best missions to the best episodes of Star Trek.

I can name individual examples from the shows that stack up poorly against individual examples from the game but the TV shows' highs are higher than this game.
But geez, I'm just asking: Is there a mission in this game that compares to the thoughtfulness of a Star Trek episode, when it comes to dealing with serious issues that relate to real life? I can't believe I screwed that up. The comparison is implicit in the question.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Kill Klingons!
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Lol, you are really calling the little pop quiz. Where I run back and tell the guy they want new tools, shorter hours, the holo decks fixed and don't want holograms working in their place. That's dealing with serious issues?

Just because they mention serious issues as a excuse to kill everything that crosses your path, isn't really dealing with them. Extermination isn't the fix all solution to everything. You don't really make decisions or affect anything in game. It's just blah blah blah kill'em all.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Is there a mission in this game that compares to the thoughtfulness of a Star Trek episode, when it comes to dealing with serious issues that relate to real life?
Yes.

If you take either the first or second mission from the Romulan series and compare it to "Friday's Child", it deals with the issue of national/ethnic identity and self-determination in a much more nuanced way than that particular TOS episode did. That episode is also a classic for many, hence why I chose it.

In this comparison, either of those missions compares more favorably to "Friday's Child," imo.

Simple answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
Lol, you are really calling the little pop quiz. Where I run back and tell the guy they want new tools, shorter hours, the holo decks fixed and don't want holograms working in their place. That's dealing with serious issues?

Just because they mention serious issues as a excuse to kill everything that crosses your path, isn't really dealing with them. Extermination isn't the fix all solution to everything. You don't really make decisions or affect anything in game. It's just blah blah blah kill'em all.
The irony is that this pop quiz mission had zero killing and dealt with a variety of labor union rights.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Of course not Cosmic. There were tons of duds. But there were also gems. I'm just asking if any of STO's gems can be compared with Star Trek's gems, in that they deal with serious cultural or social issues in a way that makes a viewer think.

Whether or not you agree with episode, you have to admit that part of what makes Trek good is its willingness to say something, anything at all, no matter how dumb.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Quote:
I'm just asking if any of STO's gems can be compared with Star Trek's gems, in that they deal with serious cultural or social issues in a way that makes a viewer think.
Kirkfat, buddy, this is a very different question from the one you asked me above.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Kirkfat, buddy, this is a very different question from the one you asked me above.
Quote:
is there a Cryptic mission that deals with a serious issue, in the way that the television shows attempted to do?
It is?

I'm lost.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Of course not Cosmic. There were tons of duds. But there were also gems.
I guess my point is that what each person finds to be a gem someone else is going to find to be a dud; in the series and in the game.

But it's also important to keep in mind that a lot of STO Missions are really homages to various Trek Missions. The Devidian series, for example, is not meant to be socially aware. It is supposed to tie STO into canon in a way the fans will find enjoyable. Even the new FE is really about explaining to the fans what happened to the 2800 from 15 years ago. Most of STO is fanboy moments rather then social commentary, but even then you are dealing with racism, slavery, war, and other social issues.