Lt. Commander
# 71
02-17-2012, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_13_X
I would not mind that at all. However I think for an idea like this to happen it needs to be on Tribble server for a while so a guide could be made so we can research how we want to play out certain instances. I would not want say my war mongering alt to choose a choice that said he was against all the violence, and vice versa for my science Klingon dedicated to finding ways to not achieve glory only through battle and conflict.
I'm confused. The whole point is that you choose how you feel/respond.
Lt. Commander
# 72
02-17-2012, 02:17 AM
I'm throwing in here; that as I grew up (like many others) watching Star Trek I learned from the characters in the show because many of the episodes have positive as well as negative moral examples, the show lays down guidelines in which a young person can learn from and I did for sure (perhaps you did as well), but not only does Star Trek do this but it also provides the viewer with unusual varying sets of circumstances in which the characters find themselves to be surrounded by and then have to generally think their way out of (or on occasion fight their way out of).

Perhaps this is for an entirely different thread, but I think the simplest question to be answered should be...

What does Star Trek do that Star Trek Online does not?
Lt. Commander
# 73
02-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkerkitten View Post
For the most part, your only alternative to blindly shooting your way out of every situation is switching to melee.
The real sad part is that if you dared to differ from that formula the blood-thirsty players will cry "WHY DON"T I GET TO SHOOT SOMEONE IN THE FACE!".

A good mixture makes good balance. Need good dialogue and story to give purpose (excuse) for the shooting.
And the shooting need to occur in fitting moments and not just be some static random mobs to kill for the heck of it.
Allowing for diplomatic resolution for the shooting, or to avoid the shooting altogether, is also a refreshing breeze (that was nice of Vanguard:SOH).

Also, not all shootings must resolve in murder (although that's a fine choice to leave to the player and then present the consequences of that choice).
Lt. Commander
# 74
02-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxstab View Post
The real sad part is that if you dared to differ from that formula the blood-thirsty players will cry "WHY DON"T I GET TO SHOOT SOMEONE IN THE FACE!".

A good mixture makes good balance. Need good dialogue and story to give purpose (excuse) for the shooting.
And the shooting need to occur in fitting moments and not just be some static random mobs to kill for the heck of it.
Allowing for diplomatic resolution for the shooting, or to avoid the shooting altogether, is also a refreshing breeze (that was nice of Vanguard:SOH).

Also, not all shootings must resolve in murder (although that's a fine choice to leave to the player and then present the consequences of that choice).
Speaking of consequences and shooting in the face, I think knockbacks are underpowered because there is no reason to keep a distance, really, and people should be a lot warier or more restricted in use of weapons aboard starships. Voyager was the only show where they did that willy nilly and I think it causes the game to take on a "Call of Duty" feel when most Trek fighting, even post-TOS, is more of a saloon brawl.

In the majority of Trek, there are pains taken to restrict use of phasers, ranging from the idea that using one triggers alarms to the idea that starbases and ships have a special field that shuts down energy weapons, making it UNUSUAL if someone is even able to use one.

Outdoor on an away team, fire away. On a ship, I feel like strategic brawling makes more sense.
Lt. Commander
# 75
02-17-2012, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
In the Outdoor on an away team, fire away. On a ship, I feel like strategic brawling makes more sense.
Hm. That may be closer to tv Star Trek, but would you enjoy brawling your way through legions of baddies on every indoor mission? I don't think I would.
Lt. Commander
# 76
02-17-2012, 02:35 AM
I never really watched Star Trek to enjoy "The Moral of the Story" stuff. Focusing too heavily on this part of Star Trek made me vomit and convulse in the living room. Maybe it's because of the many cringe moments like Westly discussing drugs with Tasha, or Janeway monologuing at the end of an episide with a group-hug?

I'm not saying I watched it for the pre-pre either. I watched ST for the space/tech/future/sci-fi stories bundled with exploration of strange new worlds, and the great characters.

Exploration is what STO does really poorly. We start the game with star charts (aka fishbowl) and can't or discover new hidded/secret areas.

Not sure if my point is coming across right? I love this game still.
Lt. Commander
# 77
02-17-2012, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
Perhaps this is for an entirely different thread, but I think the simplest question to be answered should be...

What does Star Trek do that Star Trek Online does not?
I don't recall Captain Picard having to deal with his screen being cluttered up with advertising spam. That's a big difference right there.
Lt. Commander
# 78
02-17-2012, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkerkitten View Post
Hm. That may be closer to tv Star Trek, but would you enjoy brawling your way through legions of baddies on every indoor mission? I don't think I would.
Well, that requires a couple of things:

Encounters tuned to that kind of play and brawling being given more love.

Really, I think melee got the short shrift in Ground 2.0.

There are a ton of melee animations in game that go mostly unused... and even more available since STO shares animation rigging with Champions.

Brawling in Champions is fun. I think it's possible to bring a more Trek flavor to that kind of fun.

But that means turning melee into something other than just close ranged ranged attacks.

I totally recognize a networked game where everything is done server side won't necessarily be full of grapples.

And I know this may not seen to relate to Kirkfat's plea for thematic depth at first but I do think depth of action influences our (pardon the pun) depth perception.

One thing I'd consider to make NPCs smarter and gameplay flow faster is to replace a lot of the "hit F" stuff with auto interactions.

So... Y'know... Maybe not a cover system, per se, but reticles placed on maps that cause anyone in combat to autocrouch. A natural resistance to falling off ledges that triggers the off-balance animation we saw at the winter race event. Slick patches. Heck, City of Heroes had attacks that did variable damage based on knockback.

Another thing I'd thought about:

Colisions are turned off in space. I think that's wise on a certain level but also feels somewhat cheap. Having people die due to bad piloting is annoying but seeing ships bounce off of things seems cheap and a recipe for frustration.

I think I'd turn on collisions, have them do zero damage, trigger a cosmetic explosion, and proc a debuff that lasts 3 seconds, maximum of one triggered per second.The debuff stacks and refreshes the proc of the other debuffs. Hit 20 stacks and you "scramble sensors"/"nebula effect" yourself, suffering reduced static visibility. So bad piloting/lag won't kill you but you get cosmetic explosions and annoying screen static that tells you, "Hey! Don't ram into rocks and starbases."
Lt. Commander
# 79
02-17-2012, 03:00 AM
In short, on the ground, my preference would be to go crazy with volume effect placements that affect behavior. This would make NPCs seem smarter and have more personality and make physical positioning in addition to click abilities the hallmark of ground.

So not a proper cover system but an invisible object placed behind crates that make you crouch when got firing and reduce your damage taken.

Make the terrain smart and, in doing so, make ground gameplay about physical placement and where you want to maneuver an enemy.