Lt. Commander
# 21
02-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Speaking of Foundry, with the new Bajoran Outifts, why wans't the Bajoran NPCs on DS9 updated with the proper wardrobe?
Becuase the Bajoran Militia sticks mostly to Bajor's surface now apparently.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2001b
Thanks! Good to know.

So in this case which takes precedence? The dialog that says one thing or the tv series art that displays something else?

Official recorded dialogue from an episode of the series is more canon than an after-release art book.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusashorn
Official recorded dialogue from an episode of the series is more canon than an after-release art book.
Which, in your opinion, takes precedence? On screen matte painting or on-screen dialog? Just asking from curiosity.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-23-2012, 09:27 PM
I know it's been a really long time since I've watch DS9 (I really want to again too), but that if there's one thing that spending over 3 years on TVtropes.org has taught me, it's that there is nothing subjective (questionably opinionated) about character dialogue that is part of the script. It is canon because it was written, recorded, and heard in the episode. In this case, Kira saying that Bajor has green oceans. She was stating it as a factual statement, and I think the planet was actually shown a few times on screen as well.

If I'm reading this thread right, the suggested "Official" picture of Bajor comes from an art book that was released after DS9 had ended, making it supplementary material that can't be taken as a bigger truth over spoken dialogue heard in the series.

I really believe that dialogue takes precedent over visual imagery in this situation where both can be accurately proven which actually came first. If Bajor was shown to have not-green oceans before that episode where she said it, then I'd take back everything I stated above and would support the image since it would have come first.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-23-2012, 09:35 PM
meh, one of a thousand times Star Trek contradicted itself.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusashorn
If Bajor was shown to have not-green oceans before that episode where she said it, then I'd take back everything I stated above and would support the image since it would have come first.
Bajor was shown in the Pilot episode before she discribed it.

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...missary058.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
meh, one of a thousand times Star Trek contradicted itself.
Nothing in ST contradicts anything else, it all matters which "reality"/version/series/film/etc. of ST you are currently visiting. I mean, jeez, just how many times have they broken official history and it made changes to their visible/current timeline?

They had to let poor "Joan" die to save the Federation but "old" Spock just let the new timeline happen to him in the last movie. Maybe with great age and wisdom comes less caring just how badly time/history/reality gets messed up.

The only true rule of canon for ST is this: Whoever is writing whatever version(s) of ST is (are) currently active sets the current canon until someone after them changes it.

WTH, how did I get on this rant? *looks at Taco and shakes fist*
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
There was a term we used to use in 1970ies fandom:

YATI = "Yet Another Trek Inconsistency". The fun was to try and rationalize a way to explain the inconsistency away.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Well its Bajor so deal with it! It's 30 years in the future and Bajor has been through a few upgrades. I like the new Bajor good job Cryptic, good job and hat is off to you all!
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Trek has always contradicted itself. Everything from ship sizes, to the current stardate. Sometimes production had to make modifications based on what was going on at the time so that it would make more sense on camera. Along with different writers, or whatever else managed to happen. Heck look at The Motion Picture. How big was the Veg'r cloud really? It got changed after it was remastered.

and for everyone's pleasure...

My favorite Star Trek mistakes

Either way I still think STO did a fine job with the Bajor map. It's a pleasant new social zone that I think is very well represented of what I'd imagine Bajor to be.