Lt. Commander
# 11
02-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aariny
BWAH???

I've never gotten that impression! Not even from the original series! I always thought it was... well as big as it is in the game.

Are there some hard numbers? Not doubting you - just wondering if you can point me to them.
Have a look at the first two scale charts on Ex Astris Scientia. K7 is on the second chart.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/fleet-charts.htm
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-17-2012, 12:04 PM
i like the change at k7. it looks like starfleet finaly got around to bringing it up to code on the inside. as long as it still looks like k7 on the out side. i am fine with it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadama View Post
Have a look at the first two scale charts on Ex Astris Scientia. K7 is on the second chart.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/fleet-charts.htm
O.o;;

O...kay...

Maybe... it's not the exact same station? Like - the original got destroyed and a bigger one put in it's place?

Dunno. Maybe I'm "reaching" just a bit. I just hopped in-game to take a look. The exterior station windows... do seem kinda large compared to the ones on my Assault Cruiser. I -could- explain that by saying those decks are just that big. Not like we don't have precedent for absurdly large ceilings in this game.

Why -is- that anyway? I could understand making the interiors of ships and stations slightly bigger than canon, just so that there'd be room in the instance for player avatars to move past each others collision boxes etc. And so that one can choose a wider camera angle for combat awareness tactically. But even so, the CEILINGS...

A Zentraedi from Macross could comfortably walk the decks of some of these interiors!
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aariny
O.o;;

O...kay...

Maybe... it's not the exact same station? Like - the original got destroyed and a bigger one put in it's place?

Dunno. Maybe I'm "reaching" just a bit. I just hopped in-game to take a look. The exterior station windows... do seem kinda large compared to the ones on my Assault Cruiser. I -could- explain that by saying those decks are just that big. Not like we don't have precedent for absurdly large ceilings in this game.

Why -is- that anyway? I could understand making the interiors of ships and stations slightly bigger than canon, just so that there'd be room in the instance for player avatars to move past each others collision boxes etc. And so that one can choose a wider camera angle for combat awareness tactically. But even so, the CEILINGS...

A Zentraedi from Macross could comfortably walk the decks of some of these interiors!
I doubt Starfleet would waste their efforts building a new station that was just larger. Most likely they would use a more efficient design.

The reason for large interiors are for a couple reasons:
  • At launch, K-7 was the PvP hub.
  • Early camera tech prevented smaller interiors from being possible without major issues (mainly the hallways) from jolting the camera.
  • Originally all environments used the same kit, including social zones (i.e. search "barn doors" in the forums). Environments were larger to fit bigger NPC's like the Undine which are larger than humanoids.

And the real reason for the crazy exterior scaling is because a lot of people would probably have your first reaction if it was scaled correctly. Everyone assumes space stations to be larger than ships and are shocked when they find out differently. Unfortunately a lot stations are actually smaller than you probably think. See here.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-17-2012, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to K7 receiving a size reduction similar to the one DS9 just got. It'd still be oversized, but more managably so.