Lt. Commander
# 1 Interactive Ship Interiors
02-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Hey, just a few quick things that I'd like to see added to help facilitate "nicer" game play with a handful of backing reasons. I have Federation players in mind for all of these, but I am trying to pitch ideas that would work easily for Imperial players too.

Visit your own sickbay
If you're playing on the harder difficulties, you and/or your Officers are going to receive injuries every so often. Instead of having to then search out and dock at the nearest station in the event that you're out of Regenerators, it'd be nice if we could instead visit our Bridge, head down to Sickbay, and get some treatment from your crew.

To make that a little bit limited so it isn't abused, either add a cooldown or some sort of fee. The idea would be to add a luxury rather than add free heals. To expand on that a little bit, it would be neat if we could have whatever Bridge Officer we've assigned as Chief Medical Officer in the Duty Officer interface to show up in Sickbay instead of on the Bridge (as counterintuitive as that might seem).

Add a limited Tailor NPC to Captain's Quarters
Just like in the previous suggestion, it's a little bit cumbersome attempting to switch between outfits if you're not within reach of a station. We can get around this by adding a Tailor NPC to your quarters aboard your ship in the form of an interactive wardrobe or closet. Unlike normal Tailor NPCs, this one would only allow you to wear outfits you have already created, and you would be unable to alter them. You would still need to go to a station to "purchase" new outfits or to get alterations made to your existing ones.

The reason for this one is mostly aimed at improving the quality of life of the roleplaying community, but it would still provide a tangible benefit to every captain in the game who might want a couple of outfits at ready disposal.

Allow players to have a say in the appearance of their ship's crew
I don't mind if this is a C-Store unlock or if this is just a standard in-game option. Regardless of how this one plays out, it would be awesome if we could design the uniforms for our junior crew. It's odd to have the captain and bridge wearing one uniform while the junior crew wears something else entirely. On that same note, it would also be nice if captains could have some say in what races their crew might consist of.

This one is again aimed at the roleplay community, but it does provide players with a more tangible say in what their ships are like beyond trophies and bridges. In particular the race selection would be great for KDF players who might be roleplaying Orion slavers, Gorn rebels, or strict Klingons. In any of those cases it is unlikely that any of the crew of the ship would be of an outside race.

Make Operations/Engineering more interesting
It would be great if you could add a small armory or cargo bay or something somewhere on this level to "jazz things up" a bit. You could put in an NPC with a limited stock of equipment such as hypos and batteries, and/or another NPC that would act as a bank specifically for things such as Kits and Weapons. Since it's a smart idea to have a few different Kits around, I think players would appreciate a small 5-10 slot bank just for keeping these types of things handy.

It would also be fun if we could have our Chief Engineering Officer somewhere on this level (maybe in the Engineering Lab) to provide a ship repair service. I would limit this to just minor ship injuries and have some sort of monetary or material cost in order for it to be available for use, as I don't find it very realistic for a ship with major damage to be easily repaired without docking.

Improve the lounge
There's really no reason to visit the lounge unless you want to play with trophies. We can fix this by adding in a few different NPC's, such as visible kitchen staff, a bartender, and things of that nature. If we're going to make ship interiors more interesting, fun and useful than "hey check out this cool trophy," we're going to need to provide players with incentives to grab their friends and go hang out aboard a ship. By providing access to alcohol items, food items, and novelty items such as charge-based party favors, we'd be turning it more into the social hangout it's intended to be.

To top that off, we could allow players to unlock games such as card and dice games using Gold-Pressed Latinum and further improve the things to do in their lounges. Allow players to bet Energy Credits or GPL against each other with the output being only in GPL, similar to Dabo. This would make the currency more accessible than it currently is, which would be a nice way to both socialize and get some GPL for your trophies and Duty Officer Assignments.

Provide more interior options
This is both in relation to the layout of the ship beyond the bridge and the fluff and flair scattered about. It'd be great if we could have each ship class have a different style interior instead of all of them somehow being the same size, or if we could (like bridges) select from a few different types of layouts. It'd also be nice if we could decorate parts of the ship ourselves, such as what fabrics are used on the furniture or what our computer panels might look like.

Wouldn't it be pretty great if you could select your own captain's chair independently of the bridge?

Allow for players to physically browse their small craft
Add in a new level that can be accessed from the Turbolift down to the Hangar bay. Put owned small craft models into there, and let players either talk to the Operations Officer or manually walk to and select what craft they'd like to use. It isn't very fun having to run for a couple minutes to get all the way to the back of the ship to the tele pad. We can get around that by making a new level specifically for swapping between small craft and your ship.

The added benefit is that it allows for players to have additional things to "show off" in terms of how many small craft they have access to. Some players really enjoy that sort of thing, and other players enjoy seeing what their friends have accomplished. Yet others enjoy having a tangible connection to the items they worked for, and I can't see any RPers being opposed to such an addition.

"Open Invite" option
This would be an activated "privacy" option for while you were aboard your vessel in either Sector Space or in a system. It would just alert players to the fact that you were currently aboard your bridge/interior and were inviting others aboard to join you. The benefit would be that you would be able to hang out, trade, play any of the minigames that might exist (see previous suggestion) and so on. Put a maximum limit on how many people can board (let's say 40-50 ish) with the captain having the option of specifying specific details, such as a smaller cap or only allowing friends/fleet/party members. Include an optional "what are you inviting people to do?" tag and we're all set to go.

The socialization factor is hard to come by due to breaking up the other locations into instances, and this would provide, essentially, an open district for people to gather together for specific things. Roleplaying and minigames immediately come to mind, but it could also be used for things like recruitment or just topical discussions.

Just a few thoughts here, anyway. There's not a lot of places where people can reliably meet up for roleplay or for general socialization beyond the chat box, so this could provide people with more incentives to hang out aboard ships... which, really, is where 95% of Star Trek takes place.

Edit:
(Seriously, s.w.a.n.k.y. gets censored to s****y? That makes it appear bad when it isn't. :l)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-25-2012, 09:54 AM
/Signed to all
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-25-2012, 02:05 PM
I agree with all of these, but would add that I'd like to be able to use interior furniture consistently and possibly be able to access some of the consoles (nothing in terms of advantages of any kind, simply data and options available through the UI, available for more interpersonal role play.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerithlan
Add a limited Tailor NPC to Captain's Quarters
Just like in the previous suggestion, it's a little bit cumbersome attempting to switch between outfits if you're not within reach of a station. We can get around this by adding a Tailor NPC to your quarters aboard your ship in the form of an interactive wardrobe or closet. Unlike normal Tailor NPCs, this one would only allow you to wear outfits you have already created, and you would be unable to alter them. You would still need to go to a station to "purchase" new outfits or to get alterations made to your existing ones.
That's already doable, right-click on your picture in the top-left corner and select "change outfit"

The rest would be amazing, especially if the interiors were scaled properly.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerithlan
Allow for players to physically browse their small craft
Add in a new level that can be accessed from the Turbolift down to the Hangar bay. Put owned small craft models into there, and let players either talk to the Operations Officer or manually walk to and select what craft they'd like to use. It isn't very fun having to run for a couple minutes to get all the way to the back of the ship to the tele pad. We can get around that by making a new level specifically for swapping between small craft and your ship.

The added benefit is that it allows for players to have additional things to "show off" in terms of how many small craft they have access to. Some players really enjoy that sort of thing, and other players enjoy seeing what their friends have accomplished. Yet others enjoy having a tangible connection to the items they worked for, and I can't see any RPers being opposed to such an addition.
I love this idea. Just to add a little something to the idea... I think it would be great if it played a quick cut scene showing the small craft you just selected launching from your ship. Or if you are in a small craft, show it docking when you select your main ship again
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Cool ideas. Some of which were already rattling around in my taco.
Some of them are more doable than others, and most would require some major work, but hopefully we can get some kind of Interior revamp at some point.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Some of them are more doable than others, and most would require some major work, but hopefully we can get some kind of Interior revamp at some point.
Translation: "We would love to do this, but you won't see any work done until 2013 at the earliest."
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-25-2012, 06:50 PM
I always thought that there should be mini games to play in the various locations on the ship that could give temporary bonuses and boosts. The DOff system launched and introduced some bonuses that are very similar. Some are obtained via missions, others are obtained from putting DOffs on active duty.

I'd still like to see some sort of ability for us to go down to Engineering and tune up the engines for a bit. It would be even better if we could cooperate with friends to help them tune their ships. A play session could start by ducking down to the Science lab for a bit to tweak deflector settings, before going on to STFs of PvP.

The trick would be making it a fun option, rather than a tedious necessity. I think having some level of interactivity and making the tasks dynamic would ease that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Careful, sir - it won't be too long before people are howling that you PROMISED these things.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-El
Careful, sir - it won't be too long before people are howling that you PROMISED these things.
Counting on it