Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
I am really sick and tired of the ground combat in this game. It's glitchy and un-fun. I can't get really get into these story missions because of just how much of a chore they are. It's like they can't decide if they want a WoW style controls or a Mass Effect style, so they just put them both in and we end up with this atrocity. I know it will take some time to update and re-work it. But please, do something about it.

/endrant
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidKnight View Post
I am really sick and tired of the ground combat in this game. It's glitchy and un-fun. I can't get really get into these story missions because of just how much of a chore they are. It's like they can't decide if they want a WoW style controls or a Mass Effect style, so they just put them both in and we end up with this atrocity. I know it will take some time to update and re-work it. But please, do something about it.

/endrant
Disagree.

Use RPG mode and it's very similar to the Everquest 3+2+1+2+1 model.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Controls are easy to use, and I personally believe it has been implemented brilliantly. I use RPG mode when i want to roam around, usually peacefully. and for combat I use Shooter mode. if configured correctly, it works just fine. As I love shooters, a crosshair is great.

I had my share of problems in the beginning, adjusting to the idea, but now I think its awesome. Wished more games had this feature.

And storywise, and "chorewise", its no different than any other mmorpg I ever played. Only I love the Star trek setting. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing...simple as that.

Also if you ever want to make a suggestion, make it. I mean, you say "they need time to update and re-work" ... How do YOU want it to be like? It just seems unconstructive if you do not explain what the "problem" is or at least how you exactly experience it. And how you want it to be like.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidKnight View Post
It's like they can't decide if they want a WoW style controls or a Mass Effect style, so they just put them both in and we end up with this atrocity.
It started off with RPG controls and they added a shooter control scheme to allow for more immersion later.

I think that was a rather good addition, both have their uses, both can be fun to play.. if you have issues with the aiming just switch to RPG mode, its easier to play and works pretty much the same like in any other mmorpg (actually its design is even better then most other mmorpgs in my opinion, check out the link if you wanna know why i like ground)

If you have problems playing ground, i.e. killing way to slow or experience lots of deaths i'd even be willing to run some mission with you as some sort of learning-by-doing together experience.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2012, 12:33 AM
they have already updated it. its is miles better than it was 8 month ago and its now very quick and fairly easy. im not saying it perfect but its pretty good.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2012, 12:40 AM
I'm not a fan of ground gameplay either but I think it is fun and easy to get a handle of. It does feel jarring I'll admit when you do space combat for a couple of missions and suddenly you're in the ground and gotta play in another way when you get used to space. Sometimes I wish this game just had space combat.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2012, 12:42 AM
The problem though is it really isn't a true shooter controls. It's the same as the RPG mode just with a crosshair and different key-binds. Crosshair just acts like the target enemy button. Plus not only are the controls absolutely awful (IMO), but I have seen far more bugs in ground combat missions then I ever have in any space combat mission. Team members getting stuck, floating objects, enemies acting (for lack of a better word) stupid. I once had an enemy just start walking away right in the middle of a fight. I mean, he just started running out of the room we were in. I had to chase him through the halls just to be able to kill him. I am certain it wasn't part of the mission. I have read your post BTW and I pretty much have to disagree with almost every point in it. But there probably is some rule against cross-posting so I will explain why in that thread.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Oh.. Wow.. It used to be so much worse.. You don't even know..

I just stick with RPG mode though. I quit using Shooter Mode when I took all the trouble to sneak up on a group of.. Something.. Might have been Crimto.. And buff everything and line up a sniper round into the Captain-level baddy.. And missed the hit box because I aimed for the head.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
Oh.. Wow.. It used to be so much worse.. You don't even know..
Oh god I don't even want to imagine. Geez, if it is this bad now, it must have been nigh unplayable before.

Quote:
I just stick with RPG mode though. I quit using Shooter Mode when I took all the trouble to sneak up on a group of.. Something.. Might have been Crimto.. And buff everything and line up a sniper round into the Captain-level baddy.. And missed the hit box because I aimed for the head.
Wow. Ya, like I said, that crosshair works the exact same as clicking on an enemy does. That's why I just stick with W̶o̶r̶l̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶W̶a̶r̶c̶r̶a̶f̶t̶ RPG mode. I would much rather press 1 to c̶a̶s̶t̶ shoot my M̶a̶g̶i̶c̶ ̶M̶i̶s̶s̶l̶e̶ Phaser then play that farce they call shooter mode.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Disagree.

Use RPG mode and it's very similar to the Everquest 3+2+1+2+1 model.
Agree with the disagree (hehe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawieboy
Controls are easy to use, and I personally believe it has been implemented brilliantly. I use RPG mode when i want to roam around, usually peacefully. and for combat I use Shooter mode. if configured correctly, it works just fine. As I love shooters, a crosshair is great.

I had my share of problems in the beginning, adjusting to the idea, but now I think its awesome. Wished more games had this feature.

And storywise, and "chorewise", its no different than any other mmorpg I ever played. Only I love the Star trek setting. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing...simple as that.

Also if you ever want to make a suggestion, make it. I mean, you say "they need time to update and re-work" ... How do YOU want it to be like? It just seems unconstructive if you do not explain what the "problem" is or at least how you exactly experience it. And how you want it to be like.
And this.