Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-18-2012, 01:25 AM
I've always enjoyed ground combat even since launch.

For me it was always that sneak-walk with a phaser rifle feel that really reminded me of Trek. Either DS9, or Voyager, there'd they'd need to do security sweeps and you'd see officers roaming corridors, phaser rifles at the ready. And I really enjoyed Elite Forces (never got to play EF2 really since its quite rare)

What I do dislike about ground mission is either puzzles that require remembering a sequence / writing something down, or fetch quests that make me run here, run there, run here again then back t here again. I'd take the ground combat over a fedex quest anyday.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-18-2012, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawieboy
Also if you ever want to make a suggestion, make it. I mean, you say "they need time to update and re-work" ... How do YOU want it to be like? It just seems unconstructive if you do not explain what the "problem" is or at least how you exactly experience it. And how you want it to be like.
I would, but they couldn't care less about an idea from the fans. Plus, do I really need to tell a game development company how to make some proper shooter controls? Like, really? I thought shooter controls were figured out when B.J. Blascowitz shot his first nazi. You point a crosshair and click and where you were pointing is where your shot will land. Pretty simple stuff here.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-18-2012, 01:30 AM
Agree with OP, except I already have stopped. Once I unlock STFs on a character, I'm done with story missions. Only exception being getting the Breen stuff and the Borg console.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafico
Agree with OP, except I already have stopped. Once I unlock STFs on a character, I'm done with story missions. Only exception being getting the Breen stuff and the Borg console.
Wait, you don't even have to finish the different series's to unlock the end game STF's?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidKnight View Post
I am really sick and tired of the ground combat in this game. It's glitchy and un-fun. I can't get really get into these story missions because of just how much of a chore they are. It's like they can't decide if they want a WoW style controls or a Mass Effect style, so they just put them both in and we end up with this atrocity. I know it will take some time to update and re-work it. But please, do something about it.

/endrant
i ignore this aspect when doing ground combat, i just focus on the goals and leaving as fast as possible without resorting to shortcuts that will probably add more time then you want. Just get in, do everything possible then leave, simple huh?
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-18-2012, 02:05 AM
There are some glitchy areas in ground combat in some places. For example I have seen my entire team disappear before my eyes under the map and unable to get them back. I have had to beam out to recover them. I reported it ofcourse so hopefuilly that particular map will be fixed. Then have been on some where the ground is so "wavy" that you can actually get inside the buildins as the edges of some are floating in this air. The NPCs are inside and can shoot at you but not the other way round so you have to run round it looking for the way in to complete the mission, again reported.

Now OP did you report where you were getting the glitches and where they were?

As to it being fun or not I will not argue with you as we each find different things enjoyable and unejoyable. For example to me the speed of levlling in this game is a tad on the hyperfast speed for my enjoyment as I like the journey more yet I made it to VA using only three zones, whereas others love the speed of levelling. I like my Oddey other think it turns like a brick and so won't touch it with a ten foot barge poll.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Quote:
I would, but they couldn't care less about an idea from the fans. Plus, do I really need to tell a game development company how to make some proper shooter controls? Like, really? I thought shooter controls were figured out when B.J. Blascowitz shot his first nazi. You point a crosshair and click and where you were pointing is where your shot will land. Pretty simple stuff here.
While I agree sometimes it feels like the devs don't listen, and that they pass over some good idea's, and sometimes they're too quick to pass off negative feedback as rage, ground combat is an area where they havn't done this. It was a long time coming but it's much better than it was.

So, if you don't like shooter mode, don't use it, RPG controls will work.

As for "point a crosshair and click and where you were pointing is where your shot will land", well, that's kinda how shooter mode works, the crosshair even provides feedback to tell you when you've got a target acquired.

If you're looking for a pure shooter though, well you're probably better off looking elsewhere.

For me, it all works much better than before, it was needed but considering how long we went without mission content for it, I'd rather they didn't fiddle with it again.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Wait, you don't even have to finish the different series's to unlock the end game STF's?
nope......
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Quote:
The problem though is it really isn't a true shooter controls. It's the same as the RPG mode just with a crosshair and different key-binds. Crosshair just acts like the target enemy button.
Partly correct.

You can actually use the same keybinds for your abilities in shooter mode, just need to configure it that way. Also the secondary/AE fire of some guns behaves a bit different.. i.e. you can turn your minigun/ice gun secondary while firing and opponents getting in your arc will be hit.

Quote:
Plus not only are the controls absolutely awful (IMO), but I have seen far more bugs in ground combat missions then I ever have in any space combat mission. Team members getting stuck, floating objects, enemies acting (for lack of a better word) stupid. I once had an enemy just start walking away right in the middle of a fight.
What you describe sounds like a pathing bug, seen that in dozens of other games as well its not that uncommon, can't say im surprised you see pathing bugs more often on ground with an actual terrain to path through then in space either.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decronia
There are some glitchy areas in ground combat in some places. For example I have seen my entire team disappear before my eyes under the map and unable to get them back. I have had to beam out to recover them.
I've twice had them beam into a giant boulder, according to the map.