Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-18-2012, 10:13 AM
They need to consider getting rid of some of pvp's roots and holds and knockbacks....very very very annoying when spammed with random combos of all three stacked on top of eachother. Also I would recommend the devs look at why some abilities need to be button mashed several times before they activate.

I find overall groundcombat in this game to be lightyears behind a lot of other MMO's.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Collier
While I agree sometimes it feels like the devs don't listen, and that they pass over some good idea's, and sometimes they're too quick to pass off negative feedback as rage, ground combat is an area where they havn't done this. It was a long time coming but it's much better than it was.
I wasn't around when the game first came out so I wouldn't know. I am basing my assumption that they don't care on the thousands of posts about the lottery boxes and not a single dev saying anything about it.

Quote:
So, if you don't like shooter mode, don't use it, RPG controls will work.
The problem is, that RPG mode is just as flawed, in it's own way. They made the game so fast paced, that classic RPG controls feel, to me anyway, out of place.

Quote:
As for "point a crosshair and click and where you were pointing is where your shot will land", well, that's kinda how shooter mode works, the crosshair even provides feedback to tell you when you've got a target acquired.
Nope. In a shooter, if I point my crosshair at someones head, my shot should land on there head. The crosshair in this is the same thing as clicking on an enemy in RPG mode.

Quote:
If you're looking for a pure shooter though, well you're probably better off looking elsewhere
I'm not. I play STO to have a fun Star Trek experience. The ground combat really doesn't make me feel like I am apart of a Star Trek Away Mission. The controls feel like such an after thought. Like they were all: Oh so how is the ground combat gonna handle? Oh I know, lets just use the same exact system from Champions Online.

Quote:
For me, it all works much better than before, it was needed but considering how long we went without mission content for it, I'd rather they didn't fiddle with it again.
See, that's sad. You shouldn't just accept it because it's slightly better then what you had before. If someone handed you a bag filled with diarrhea, and took that back and gave you a bag filled with hard poo, are you gonna just accept the new bag because it isn't quite as s***ty as the last one?
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-18-2012, 01:59 PM
I love the ground combat in this game. Before the revamp it could get to be a chore, but now the pacing is spot on; and makes the whole experience more like that of an action game than a traditional RPG (which it should, given the nature of the weapons involved).

I find each of the modes has its uses, depending on what I'm doing; RPG mode is most useful if I'm trying to manage my party, while shooter mode reminds me pleasantly of the original Mass Effect (in which hit locations didn't appear to matter).

Frankly, I prefer it to the space combat, which can drag a little.

It's no more buggy than any other part of the game; and whether you enjoy it or not is simply a matter of personal taste.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-19-2012, 10:07 AM
/disagree with OP

After playing that new 'other' space game, which uses pretty much ripped-off WoW mechanics for ground combat, I much prefer STO's approach. I'll agree it can be a bit clunky at times, but spending all of your time clicking the same sequence of buttons while staring at cooldowns is not fun to me. I'd prefer to be 'heads up' watching the action and pointing my crosshair at the next dead Klingong meathead.