Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Lt. Commander
I keep hearing all this talk about copyrights and what have you, but the silly thing is, CBS, or whomever hold the rights to the Star Trek Franchise could easily make it possible for many of the ship designs from other Star Trek games to be inserted into this one. It is just a matter of swallowing one's pride, reaching out to those other game developers, and comming to a mutually benificial agreement.

Let's be serious. How many new ship designs have been added to this game since its public release? If the Romulan Faction is to come online eventually, there is going to need to be a major investment in time and development to have a large enough pool of ships. By bringing in designs already out there, this drastically reduces effort. How many non-cannon ships and names in this game are already lifted from other sources?

As for cost arguments, how much money is already being raked in from the C-store? From all the gripes I hear from other players about it being a cash cow, then money really is not the issue.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2012, 05:00 AM
What ships are we talking about?

The ships I remember seeing posts about are fan-made models (much like that vespas or what ever it is called... That cruiser abomination), and aren't necessarily easy to get your hands on...

If Cryptic wanted to use one of the ships I made for BC for example, I sure as h*ll wanted to be sure that the ships was still mine, and that i was properly credited for it.

And pretty much any ship I can think off from other games (except legacy and the USS Incursion) are already in this game.

And even if there are ships that other companies have that people want to go into STO, you can be sure they won't be cheap (with the income from the lockboxes, they might however be able to purchase... Activision).
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2012, 09:21 AM
if we r talking activision now, i smell a borg fusion cube, environment like CE but 10x+ worse lol.thats something ive wanted to see since day one.8 elite tac cubes fused together to make uber pwn XD.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2012, 10:18 AM
The only non-canon source(s) used so far are from currently active other IP holders.
And even then it took them the better part of a year to make it possible to use 3 ships.
The Kzinti proved that just because something is popular doesn't mean it just takes
a magic wand to make it possible.
NeilCell, you'd be surprised how many ships from other games I'd love to see in STO,
starting with the D-10 from FASA and the Emperor from Interplay's Klingon Academy
but TBH, don't you think if it was easy (easier than inventing their own ships)
they wouldn't have done this already?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergenera1 View Post
if we r talking activision now, i smell a borg fusion cube, environment like CE but 10x+ worse lol.thats something ive wanted to see since day one.8 elite tac cubes fused together to make uber pwn XD.
I was SOOOOO hoping someone would catch the reference
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCell View Post
I keep hearing all this talk about copyrights and what have you, but the silly thing is, CBS, or whomever hold the rights to the Star Trek Franchise could easily make it possible for many of the ship designs from other Star Trek games to be inserted into this one. It is just a matter of swallowing one's pride, reaching out to those other game developers, and comming to a mutually benificial agreement.
Actually, concerning IP rights of other companies, it involves a lot more then just swallowing one's pride... Even though CBS approved the creation of the designs, the creative works of other companies remains the Intellectual Property of other companies. And coming to a mutually beneficial agreement usually involves a very large sum of $$$

(So just how much do you want C-Store prices to increase???)
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
Actually, concerning IP rights of other companies, it involves a lot more then just swallowing one's pride... Even though CBS approved the creation of the designs, the creative works of other companies remains the Intellectual Property of other companies. And coming to a mutually beneficial agreement usually involves a very large sum of $$$

(So just how much do you want C-Store prices to increase???)
Also... Just looked over my Star Trek games, and as it turns out... They are all Activision and Paramount

Maybe thats another issue right there... maybe they didn sell off permissions to anything else but the series
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Actually, it's not just activision, but the other development houses involved in those games as well that hold the rights, for example, if for some odd reason they wanted to use one of the stock Bridge Commander Designs, they'd have to talk to Totally Games, which doesn't even exist anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2012, 10:38 PM
What is the deal that the Luna got added? I have also heard the the Vesta might as well. How about many of the NPC contacts from books and other sources? Those certainly fall under the same purview as the third party ships from other games.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCell View Post
What is the deal that the Luna got added? I have also heard the the Vesta might as well. How about many of the NPC contacts from books and other sources? Those certainly fall under the same purview as the third party ships from other games.
The Luna is a fan design, wich was turned over to CBS (in terms of usage rights), and all the books as IP already belong to CBS.