Lt. Commander
# 11 7 of 9's Father is Alive
02-19-2012, 09:15 AM
We get to see 7 of 9's father near the end of the series when 7 of 9 is taken by the Borg queen, her father, 100% assimilated still walks up to her and 7 of 9 cries like a little girl yelling: "Papa....!?"

But I guess future Janeway killed 7's father when the main borg nexus was destroyed.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Quote:
McCoy - Father David McCoy murdered by his son via euthanasia / Mom unknown
I think out of all the parent related mayhem - this one is the worst and the most controversial of them all.

The good old country doctor, Leonard McCoy.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOSLover
I know Kirk's brother (I think it was his brother) died and Chekov's brother was killed in a Klingon raid, but that's all I can remember at the moment.
Actually, Chekov never had a brother. The illusion he did and that he was killed was implanted into his mind by the entity in Day of the Dove. (Sulu states that Chekov was actually an only child.)
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-21-2012, 11:00 PM
You forgot Ezri (cursed be her presence), who is without father, has a workaholic mother (who she has a poor relationship with), a brother who is a murderer/failed artist/seeking approval, and a "slave brother"...

She defnetly is the overlord of failed family cases.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Actually, Chekov never had a brother. The illusion he did and that he was killed was implanted into his mind by the entity in Day of the Dove. (Sulu states that Chekov was actually an only child.)
Yep, I know. Rhodes85 told me earlier in the thread.

Thanks for the help, though!
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-22-2012, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
You forgot Ezri (cursed be her presence), who is without father, has a workaholic mother (who she has a poor relationship with), a brother who is a murderer/failed artist/seeking approval, and a "slave brother"...

She defnetly is the overlord of failed family cases.
Thanks. I added her to the OP.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Interesting analysis. Taking it a bit further, how many of these characters lost their mother/father during childhood (under age 18) or that we can presume was lost during childhood if not specifically stated?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
Interesting analysis. Taking it a bit further, how many of these characters lost their mother/father during childhood (under age 18) or that we can presume was lost during childhood if not specifically stated?
I plan on doing some data analysis.
  • Define a question Is there a connection between being a wiener and the presence or absence of certain parents.
  • Gather information and resources (observe)
    • No father and is a wiener: Wesley, Beverly, Archer, Kirk (2009), Troi, T'Pol, Torres
    • Has father or father died in adulthood and is respectable: Sisko, Kirk (TOS), Spock, McCoy, Paris
  • Form an explanatory hypothesis Characters without a father during childhood are more likely to be wieners than those with fathers.
  • Test the hypothesis by performing an experiment and collecting data in a reproducible manner
  • Analyze the data
  • Interpret the data and draw conclusions that serve as a starting point for new hypothesis
  • Publish results
  • Retest (frequently done by other scientists)
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-22-2012, 07:45 AM
So, I need everyone's help. The larger sample size I have, the more accurate the data.

Definitions for this exercise
Winner: This character is one of the most respected in Star Trek.
Neither: This character has equal number of great moments as well as stupid moments.
Loser: Replacing this character with a potted plant wouldn't really hurt the series all that much.

Rate Each Character

TOS
Kirk
Spock
McCoy
Scotty
Sulu
Chekov
Uhura

TNG
Picard
Riker
Data
Geordi
Worf
Tasha
Troi
Beverly
Wesley
Pulaski

DS9
Sisko
Kira
O'Brien
Bashir
Odo
Quark
Rom
Nog
Garak
Dukat

VOY
Janeway
Chakotay
Tuvok
Paris
Kim
Torres
Doctor
Seven of Nine
Kes
Neelix

ENT
Archer
Tucker
T'Pol
Hoshi
Travis
Reed
Phlox

Kirk
Spock
McCoy
Scotty
Sulu
Chekov
Uhura
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Tuvok was married at the beginning but his wife "divorced" him for being missing.