Lt. Commander
# 1 KribDeth
02-18-2012, 08:57 PM
I wanted to like this game. I've actually given it three times to modify my perception of it. It's got an interesting premise, great models and layouts, and I love the idea of captaining your own starship.

However, I'll be walking away again, basically because of the same issues that I've had with the other times I've walked away. In fact, the only reasons I reinstalled the game the last time was because a buddy of mine encouraged me to give it another chance and even offered some guidance along the way. Unfortunately, what's so broken about this game still isnt' fixed.

The map is the worst. It's like I'm never able to actulaly find what I'm looking for. I accept a mission from whatever admiral offers me one. Then, I double check the mission log/briefing/whatever that thing is, and then still get told what system to go to but no sector block.

I go to look at the map with all the sector blocks, but all the blocks contain very generalized names of random systems/planets/whatever. It's never the system I'm looking for or need to go to.

Now, from my understanding of things, this has been corrected...in later episodes. But, for those who are new to the game, the old episodes sill aren't fixed so the players are still lost. A game should be frustrating to play in the way that a "boss" character is frustrating to defeat - not the basic "find where you're going" portion of the game. it's not like the space combat is frustrating. Nor, is the ground combat. Nor, is anything really frustrating about the game, unless you're trying to find where you need to go.

And, it's such the antithesis of the films. In the shows and movies, telling the helmsman where to go was as simple as "Mr. Sulu, lay in a course..." It was all the other events in the episode that made it anxiety ridden. This game is the total opposite. It's as if Kirk and Sulu are laboring over how to track down a star system or planet (for hours) and then casually walking through whatever supposed danger lies ahead. This is an inherant game issue.

Is it too much to ask for a itemized list of planets, systems, sector block, sector, etc so that even if the idiot admirals fail to mention where we need to go, our helmsman would still have a chart/list that says "Ah, Captain. I've found it. I hit this button and it comes up on screen. It has the name, location, and everything we need. I'm going to lay a course in now, sir!," instead of this:

Captain: "Have you found it yet?"
Helmsman: "Not yet, Captain. We're searching another sector block. Give me a few minutes"
Captain: "Okay"
(pause)
Captain: "Well,...do you have any idea how long this might take?"
Helmsman: "Negative, sir. We're still tryign to find it"
(pause)
Captain: "We're sort of on a schedule. These peple are going to die or something if we dont' get there soon"
Helmsman: "We're working on it, sir. If only this map had the places listed on it"

See the problem?''

What is wrong with having something like, provided by the game makers? http://www.stowiki.org/Alphabetic_list_of_locations

That tells you everything you needed to know. Only, my friend passed this on to me after I uninstalled STO. Needless to say, this game is too much work to actually be enjoyed at this point. And, it's just sheer laziness on the developer's part. Because, if nothing else, they could send that list out as a message, or offer it up as a C-Store Item: LIST OF WHERE THE HELL TO GO WHEN IDIOT ADMIRALS FAIL TO TELL YOU WHERE YOU NEED TO GO item.

I've been on-and-off this game for about a year and I"m still having the same issues.

When you fix it for those who might stumble across your game?

Don't worry about me though. I"m not coming back. So, this is all rant/suggestion.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Where do we go from here?
02-18-2012, 08:58 PM
I wanted to like this game. I've actually given it three times to modify my perception of it. It's got an interesting premise, great models and layouts, and I love the idea of captaining your own starship.

However, I'll be walking away again, basically because of the same issues that I've had with the other times I've walked away. In fact, the only reasons I reinstalled the game the last time was because a buddy of mine encouraged me to give it another chance and even offered some guidance along the way. Unfortunately, what's so broken about this game still isnt' fixed.

The map is the worst. It's like I'm never able to actulaly find what I'm looking for. I accept a mission from whatever admiral offers me one. Then, I double check the mission log/briefing/whatever that thing is, and then still get told what system to go to but no sector block.

I go to look at the map with all the sector blocks, but all the blocks contain very generalized names of random systems/planets/whatever. It's never the system I'm looking for or need to go to.

Now, from my understanding of things, this has been corrected...in later episodes. But, for those who are new to the game, the old episodes sill aren't fixed so the players are still lost. A game should be frustrating to play in the way that a "boss" character is frustrating to defeat - not the basic "find where you're going" portion of the game. it's not like the space combat is frustrating. Nor, is the ground combat. Nor, is anything really frustrating about the game, unless you're trying to find where you need to go.

And, it's such the antithesis of the films. In the shows and movies, telling the helmsman where to go was as simple as "Mr. Sulu, lay in a course..." It was all the other events in the episode that made it anxiety ridden. This game is the total opposite. It's as if Kirk and Sulu are laboring over how to track down a star system or planet (for hours) and then casually walking through whatever supposed danger lies ahead. This is an inherant game issue.

Is it too much to ask for a itemized list of planets, systems, sector block, sector, etc so that even if the idiot admirals fail to mention where we need to go, our helmsman would still have a chart/list that says "Ah, Captain. I've found it. I hit this button and it comes up on screen. It has the name, location, and everything we need. I'm going to lay a course in now, sir!," instead of this:

Captain: "Have you found it yet?"
Helmsman: "Not yet, Captain. We're searching another sector block. Give me a few minutes"
Captain: "Okay"
(pause)
Captain: "Well,...do you have any idea how long this might take?"
Helmsman: "Negative, sir. We're still tryign to find it"
(pause)
Captain: "We're sort of on a schedule. These peple are going to die or something if we dont' get there soon"
Helmsman: "We're working on it, sir. If only this map had the places listed on it"

See the problem?''

What is wrong with having something like, provided by the game makers? http://www.stowiki.org/Alphabetic_list_of_locations

That tells you everything you needed to know. Only, my friend passed this on to me after I uninstalled STO. Needless to say, this game is too much work to actually be enjoyed at this point. And, it's just sheer laziness on the developer's part. Because, if nothing else, they could send that list out as a message, or offer it up as a C-Store Item: LIST OF WHERE THE HELL TO GO WHEN IDIOT ADMIRALS FAIL TO TELL YOU WHERE YOU NEED TO GO item.

I've been on-and-off this game for about a year and I"m still having the same issues.

When you fix it for those who might stumble across your game?

Don't worry about me though. I"m not coming back. So, this is all rant/suggestion.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-18-2012, 09:03 PM
I usually read the green mission text relating to where the missions take place before I click accept and have not had this issue since I've rolled new characters since the f2p release. Most missions take place as a follow on within the same sector block. If I can't find the system at all, then I can always click on the autopilot in the mission listings ui (below the minimap) to either auto-pilot there, or transwarp for a few credits. I can literally tell my helmsman to "lay in a course" without opening a map or re-reading the mission text.

There are many ways to find out where you need to go. Goodbye anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-18-2012, 09:10 PM
My friend says that this "AutoPilot" is relatively a new function (within the last month). I'm still trying to do it the old way (which is what I was thought to do).

How about a Navigation tutorial?

Bye.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Ok. Bye.

/10char
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2012, 09:14 PM
What are you talking about?
Each mission tells you where to go: System, Sector, Sector Block (not always in that order)

Are you seeing broken dialogue for a mission not telling you where to go?
What mission is that?

Note: i'm looking at the missions right now to see what text is broken, and don't see any.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2012, 09:17 PM
So, is there a reason why you made two threads for the same thing? Which is against the rules just in case you didn't know, but I doubt you care because you did say that you quit. So once again, bye.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=255930
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-18-2012, 09:18 PM
I have no sympathy for you.

In spite of being registyered since 2010, You've only posted to these forums twice. Both times it was this message. Today.

You do know that these forums have been here since before the game came out. People answer questions here. Heck they even answer questions in the IN-GAME CHAT. If you had a problem getting around in the game, someone would have been willing to point you in the right direction...

In any case, I have never had a problem finding my way. I read the mission text. I actually look at the galaxy map. I look at the area map, where all the points of interest are a double-click away. And if that isn't good enough, look at the system list that shows all of those points alphabetically.

The way you wrote your post its as if you didn't even know these things are in the game.

Willfull ignorance on your part is NOT cryptic's fault. How have the other thousands of players on this game managed since launch? God forbid that you actually have to do SOMETHING for yourself in an MMO, right?

Don't forget to close the inner airlock hatch on your way out.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-18-2012, 09:23 PM
He's just another member of the instant gratification crowd who cannot be bothered to actually do something for himself in a game that pretty much already spells everything out for him.

I weep for the future...
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-18-2012, 09:29 PM
I know I'm new here, but I have to say I've never had a problem with this. Alt+Tab is your friend! There's also a minimize button if you move your mouse to the top right of the screen although if you just READ the green text it tells you where to go.

Also the autopilot system is great! A nice list of systems to choose from and it takes you right there (If you don't want to keep looking at the area map to make sure you heading in the right direction.)

I fail to see the logic in your rant.
Closed Thread