Lt. Commander
# 1 12:00 AM PST? Seriously?
02-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Why can't you pick days and nights when fewer people are playing to do maintenance! ?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-18-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm on the Pacific coast and I have absolutely no problem with this maintenance time. In fact, every single game I have played with online maintenance that shuts a server down has, at some point in time, had that maintenance land at 0000 PST. I have never complained. At best, I have simply said: Well, damn, I had hoped to play it, but I'll do something else instead.

If you can't think of anything else in the world you could possibly be doing at midnight except STO, I think you need to step back and re-evaluate something.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLockheed View Post
Why can't you pick days and nights when fewer people are playing to do maintenance! ?
I'll leave it to Cryptic to decide when their lowest concurrency, and most appropriate time for doing server maintenance is.

After all, they're the only ones who actually know:
  1. how urgent the problem is
  2. how many people are generally online at that day/time
  3. how many people on their staff are available at that time to do the work

These people really are professionals, who get paid to do this sort of thing
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-18-2012, 09:44 PM
I am one of the few..I get off at 10-11p daily. Bummer but not so bad......

usually i can get in a few rounds with the non english speakers in stf's....after it comes back up

HILFE HILFE !!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by garravesh View Post
I am one of the few..I get off at 10-11p daily. Bummer but not so bad......

usually i can get in a few rounds with the non english speakers in stf's....after it comes back up

HILFE HILFE !!!!!!!
so you fit right in....

in all seriousness, i got no issue with them doing it in mid of the night, despite the fact it has come many times when i was playing.

its better then the random downtimes they have had since i started....

they need to find a way to do more testing or something, seems every patch fixes one thing and breaks 3 others.....

could be a good move if they gave people incentives in main server to play test server more....make it easier to join test as well(finding it on the websites not exectially a cakewalk for some people(easy for me took me walking 2 ppl i know thru setting it, tho they are smart computer geek/gamers.

many mmos i have played in the past had some kind of incentive program for beta testing, some it was a way to earn cash store points, others it was a way to earn items you could unlock/use in main, others it was just in game currency or the like, I would play test far more if there was some good bennifits for doing it...thus the server would get tested by more people
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2012, 11:54 PM
I have no idea why they have issues..if it is really bugs from new content or it is because the load they are bearing requires more tweaking of the systems in charge of this game....

They never had to deal with this kind of load as the game population was smaller......maybe it is either one or both or who knows what.....
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-19-2012, 12:57 AM
its only an hour and a half downtime. Not too bad
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-19-2012, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLockheed View Post
They did, then all the people on the other side of the world complained that it was cutting into their prime time. There were tons of threads on it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Did no one make the connection that Cryptic is based in California and its the middle of the friggen night for them?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-19-2012, 02:05 AM
maybe they will eventually have the capacity to do a partial take down and update during low traffic times, update partof the servers, then take the other half down and update them, would double the partial service time but would let people play when updates where going on.....then they would have complaints about ques tho.....(i wouldnt mind that honestly....better then random server crash and burns)