Lt. Commander
# 1 Turret weapon configuration
02-19-2012, 06:32 AM
Hey guys!

Could you tell me honestly and kindly what do you think about 8 turrets weapon configuration on a cruiser? Will it be any effective?

I'm an engeneering captain on Galaxy X cruiser and having turn rate issues =(

Live long and prosper and... thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-19-2012, 06:38 AM
It will work in regular missions... well because anything works in regular missions on normal difficulty.

However compared to other builds you will trade most of your damage potential for the benefit of having a 360 firing arc. Usually not a wise choice.

Edit to your edit: Having problems with the turn rate you will usually be best advised to go with (single) beam arrays broadsiding. And don't underestimate your Gal-X cloaking ability - it allows you to move yourself into best fitting position prior to decloaking and attacking. If your currently flying a setup with dual cannons on your gal-x bringing yourself in the right attack position is especially essential (as ensuring enough [burst] damage output would be too).
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
It will work in regular missions... well because anything works in regular missions on normal difficulty.

However compared to other builds you will trade most of your damage potential for the benefit of having a 360 firing arc. Usually not a wise choice.

Edit to your edit: Having problems with the turn rate you will usually be best advised to go with (single) beam arrays broadsiding. And don't underestimate your Gal-X cloaking ability - it allows you to move yourself into best fitting position prior to decloaking and attacking. If your currently flying a setup with dual cannons on your gal-x bringing yourself in the right attack position is especially essential (as ensuring enough [burst] damage output would be too).
in fact, i'm searching 4 best coufiguration for elite STF's. I've heared about that 6 beams and 2 torps config, but its soooo boring and also this beam sound... ehhh...

Quote:
And don't underestimate your Gal-X cloaking ability - it allows you to move yourself into best fitting position prior to decloaking and attacking.
that's a good thing for PVP, but it's pretty useless in PvE.

Yes, i do use dual hevy cannons but their destructive potential isn't good enough cuz they're firing very rarely.

i'm confused.

but thanks anyway
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-19-2012, 07:41 AM
If you're having problems with lining your ship up in STFs you might more likely consider doing normal difficulty STFs than elite ones.

A turret build would especially for elite STFs be next to the worst possible to do.

Generally can be said that you should always plan ahead and adjust your movements to keep the time wasted with turning your ship minimal. This is especially in STFs easy since the objectives and spawn rates / locations are fixed. Evasive maneuvers and Aux to Dampeners will both give you a turn buff to bring your weapons to bear (also consider RCS console). Together with sufficient dps this should reduce your problem enough to live with it.

If not you need to check your build and might think about changing the playstyle, weapon loadout or the ship itself.

For specific feedback you might want to browse down to the fed shipyards / char build subforums as the best place to learn and ask about specific ships and builds.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Turrets just don't put out much DPS. For a cruiser, either all beams or 6 beams + 2 projectiles is the best way to go. Just decrease your speed so you can turn faster, and equip an RCS console to help your turn rate. Go for broadside attacks so you bring lots of firepower to bear, but if the enemy swings into your fore or aft arcs, you can still hit them hard with beams and pop a torpedo.

I'd advise against dual banks due to their small firing arc, and turrets for their low DPS.