Lt. Commander
# 91
02-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozoha View Post
Epic thread for so many reasons. Nagus' logic and Commodore Bob's persistence to name two of them. Nothings perfect but I love this game. Keep the good times coming.
Wait, what? I've only posted three times (four counting this). Once was an obvious joke and another was to mention I fixed the third.
Lt. Commander
# 92
02-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Bottom line: Flying around this game is like touring a college campus. You see the bauhaus modernist buildings from the 60s, and you think "My god, that's ugly." You see the really old stuff, and recognize how old it is. And then you see the new stuff under construction. It's a complete architectural soup with no cohesive polish.
Very well-stated. Sums up the condition of the game nicely.
Lt. Commander
# 93
02-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminMaxwell View Post
Very well-stated. Sums up the condition of the game nicely.
To put it another way...

"STO tries to do alot of things, at the same time. But never succeeding with any of it."

As I said previously, there are several things in this game that are close to greatness. And the things that aren't, well... They either will remain "broken" and "useless", or it will take a long long time before they are ever truly "fixed", because some developer once decided that a particular feature was deemed "Good enough" for launch. I'm speaking ofcourse in general, but I believe you get the picture.

- STO has the potential for a great mission creator (needs fixes and updates, and more objects)
- STO has the potential for a great crafting system (virtually useless under the New World Economy)
- STO has the potential for great pvp, territorial conquest/control (none of which currently exists)

STO has potential, but one wonders if it will ever manage to live up to them?
Lt. Commander
# 94
02-20-2012, 07:21 PM
I wonder if maybe STO should now follow a model of creation that is based almost like an open source project. Kind of like what occurred by accident with the Elite Force community.
If I recall correctly there is an EULA in the foundry that mentions something about all creations in the system being considered property of Cryptic, basically as a body of works.

Perhaps Cryptic should use that to our mutual advantage and focus on creating some interior tools, now that it's gone free to play, in order for the STO modding community that is made up of content creators active since the days of Armada, EF, and Bridge Commander to work on creating things for their foundry projects.

Then, the epic looking sets that are created for those projects can be taken by the artists at Cryptic and retooled/modified for use/renovation/creation of the game in general.
Saving Cryptic development time, allowing the environment artists more time for the art asset creation (weapons, ships, characters, etc...), game episodes, and exterior sets while then giving them a veritable buffet of set pieces to take, paste, and arrange for renovating old areas and creating new.

Basically turning STO in to sort of an Open Source MMO...
This could be a win-win, resolve a bunch of issues, and allow the content creators both in studio and out in the community even more freedom to build upon the game.

What do you guys say to that idea?
Lt. Commander
# 95
02-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MundaneRaptor View Post
I wonder if maybe STO should now follow a model of creation that is based almost like an open source project. Kind of like what occurred by accident with the Elite Force community.
If I recall correctly there is an EULA in the foundry that mentions something about all creations in the system being considered property of Cryptic, basically as a body of works.

Perhaps Cryptic should use that to our mutual advantage and focus on creating some interior tools, now that it's gone free to play, in order for the STO modding community that is made up of content creators active since the days of Armada, EF, and Bridge Commander to work on creating things for their foundry projects.

Then, the epic looking sets that are created for those projects can be taken by the artists at Cryptic and retooled/modified for use/renovation/creation of the game in general.
Saving Cryptic development time, allowing the environment artists more time for the art asset creation (weapons, ships, characters, etc...), game episodes, and exterior sets while then giving them a veritable buffet of set pieces to take, paste, and arrange for renovating old areas and creating new.

Basically turning STO in to sort of an Open Source MMO...
This could be a win-win, resolve a bunch of issues, and allow the content creators both in studio and out in the community even more freedom to build upon the game.

What do you guys say to that idea?
I think it's a great idea. While the team works on existing features, adding polish etc., they still provide new content with featured foundry spotlights that work in the place of FEs. The video team would add cutscenes, while other devs add polish to a mission whose bones are 95% done.

The art team could do more with foundry assets.

The only real difference here is that fan-made EF maps were hosted on private servers, so we could essentially do stuff, like create Simpsons maps.

I'd love to see a real season of polish, where the content that get added to the game is, let's be honest, far superior (storywise) than anything Cryptic has done. If they took one of Alimac's missions, polished it a bit, and then released it as a remastered foundry spotlight, it would blow the minds of players.

Not to sound immodest, but I believe if they incorporated Return to Terra Nova into the diplomacy system, players would be like, "wow, and I've been scanning rocks compared to this!"

Cryptic is a small team. The community of good foundry authors exceeds theirs. Why not essentially turn it over to us?

We can revamp the patrols like no one's business. We'd provide engaging diplomacy. We'd add more quality content to this game than even the most ambitious of FE schedules.

And all of us would be working together instead of teams working apart and foundry authors completely ignored.
Lt. Commander
# 96
02-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Wait, what? I've only posted three times (four counting this). Once was an obvious joke and another was to mention I fixed the third.
Only becuz you fixed your hyperlink 7 pages deep. Persistent. No ill will.... I love everybody.
Lt. Commander
# 97
02-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozoha View Post
Only becuz you fixed your hyperlink 7 pages deep. Persistent. No ill will.... I love everybody.
No, it's cool. You just confused the hell out of me.
Lt. Commander
# 98
02-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Mundane, I hope you don't mind. I sort of springboarded off your idea into a different thread. It's something I've been brainstorming for awhile, and your comments on EF inspired me.
Lt. Commander
# 99
02-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Heck no man! go for it... if something can be done for both Cryptic and the STO community to both have our cake and eat it then we have to push for it. It'll be something great for everyone involved if we do... so um... Engage!
Lt. Commander
# 100
02-20-2012, 08:56 PM
I've said this for awhile, but interiors feel more like a efficiency apartment than a star ship. To me, we need access and functionality on our ships. I mean, this is the 25th century after all. Sure, we can see our bridge and engineering deck, which is fine and dandy, but wheres sickbay? Anyone found a transporter room recently? How about captains quarters or the mess, not to mention rec/10 fwd? heck, even a shuttlebay to see our delta flyers, runabouts, galileos or fighters? Nowhere to be found. This folks, IMHO, is pure,total laziness and sloppy work to boot. I know Cryptic/PW have quite a bit on their plate, but the OP makes a good point, a 12 yr old game that has better deck layouts and design than a current title..and that's just sad..

I think its time the devs partner up w/ the mod communities and start rolling out some better ship layouts. I want better options that actually measure up with proper layout. Wheres the Okudas when you need them?

In addition, its time we get some actual functionality out of these surroundings, If im on the bridge, I want control of my ship and the ability to set course and issue commands from there, instead of the "map view" we have currently..The same goes with my crew, I want to see them working after the ship is damaged, that's what the crew of a SF or KA vessel does, they patch her up until you fly into starbase..Heck, a place to even use a pattern buffer device similar to Voyager-Elite Force on ship and my person to off/on-load gear on my ship and vice-versa would be nice...