Lt. Commander
# 51
02-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Please dont make those kinds of generalizations about the community.
Perception is reality. Whether or not he is accurate in his an analysis is not important. I think we give these devs an awful lot of grief. Some of it is deserved. Eg: Last year of no updates, but some of it is not.
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-20-2012, 01:59 PM
I think some of the issues do stem from a little disconnect or mis-interpretation of questions asked etc...

I will give you a couple of examples, let's say there are some polls out there (not sure why these even stopped as they gave clear and concise feedback) and let's look at two systems here that players want but we have heard the reasons are they give limited bang for their buck.

Klingon Faction -
An inappropriate poll questions is, "Do you play on the Klingon side if so how much?" That is the operating question we have heard the dev staff responding to. Of course the answer is not many and of that not many few are full time players. The question needs to be rephrased as, "Would you play on the Klingon side and what would limit your playtime on that side?" Now I bet the answers to that would be many and the amount of content. That justifies the expense of production by getting at the root cause.

Player Ship Interiors -
An inappropriate poll question is, "Do you use your ship interior and if so how much?" Again, the operating question we have heard response to and of course it is a biased question again. That question would be rephrased as, "Would you use your ship interior and what would limit you playtime on it?" The second question gets directly at how useful to the playerbase as a whole the system would be and precise development goals to make full use out of it.

Bottom line is that issues are not well targetted and unclarity as to what the players desires are. Right now, you could wade through the forums and get hundreds of signals. Here is a sample of a targeted poll:
  1. Would you use the current exploration system or any exploration system?
    • Yes
    • No
  2. What would limit you use of said exploration system?
    • The quality of rewards
    • The replayability of the system
    • How expansive the system would be
    • The diversity and challenge of mission types
    • The overall feel of expansiveness
  3. What would you like to see improved in our current exploration system?
    • Increase the feel of expansiveness
    • Increase the diversity in the types of random missions
    • Allow better choice or disernment of mission selection
    • Increase or change the reward system to make it more appealing
    • Increase the leverageing of the DOFF system
    • Create mission mini-chains so we can return to planets we have explored
    • Change the method of aquiring the missions in the sector

Voila, very targeted and direct feedback before production would start on an exploration revamp.
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Your service is appreciated, but not even remotely comparable. When it comes to the military and law enforcement people's lives are at stake. That is not the case when you make video games. So while it may in fact be common and even expected for people to go above and beyond the call of duty when they are fighting for people's lives, there is no such expectation in "normal" jobs because the stakes arent the same.
eh, maybe I'm just odd, cause I went above and beyond when I wasn't in the military and or in Law enforcement. its the way I was raised. Do the job, do it right, and don't stop till its done. Then again I come from a Long line of public servants, 70 plus years of my family living that way may have made it normal for me.

its not so much about the above and beyond in as much as it is about the doing it right, the first time. Folks like Tumor, do it, every time, its apparent to me, I've spend HOURS in my penthouse in CO because it was just that awesome. I see the benefit of his stuff, however here, it seems like that gets shoved aside for whatever reason and its "good enough" I know what he meant by the phrase fully. But I feel that those above him have a much lower standard of "good enough" and maybe THEY should bring it up, not him.

edit to rephrase something
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBarrier86 View Post
I think we give these devs an awful lot of grief.
Some do, some dont. There is no "we" about it because not everyone acts the same. And that is why I asked him not to make that kind of generalization.
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Aren't the Cryptic employees paid hourly? If so then your incentive for working those 10-12 hour days is a larger paycheck. If you're salary, well then it does seem very charitable.
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Please dont make those kinds of generalizations about the community.
I've seen dozens if not hundreds of posts in the last few months pretty much stating what Tumerboy summarised, so being honest (in my view) it's a pretty accurate generalisation.
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen666 View Post
I've seen dozens if not hundreds of posts in the last few months pretty much stating what Tumerboy summarised, so being honest (in my view) it's a pretty accurate generalisation.
Dozens or hundreds of posts out of the thousands that are posted every day is not much.
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Dozens or hundreds of posts out of the thousands that are posted every day is not much.
Doesn't alter the fact it's accurate...
Lt. Commander
# 59
02-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen666 View Post
Doesn't alter the fact it's accurate...
Actually it does. Unless the vast majority are behaving a certain way, then making a generalization about them is not even remotely accurate. And dozens or even hundreds of posts out of thousands is not a majority.
Lt. Commander
# 60
02-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Snip. . .
Tumerboy, and all the other devs. I <3 U

I know we complain a lot. ( I complain a lot ) but at the end of the day your right. your just human, and you are already putting a lot of time into it. For the changes you have done. I have to say you have done a good job. The game isn'r perfect and there is still a good amount to work today, but still thank you.

Also your right. this is a day off. that is why I have avoided complaining today ...

anyway once again

I <3 U