Originally Posted by Captain_Kenrick_Drake
Nagus change your avatar to a Vulcan please
Then the name wouldn't make sense.
Lt. Commander
# 72
02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Devon View Post
your link is to a fourm about admirials?
Gah! I fixed it.
Lt. Commander
# 73
02-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Laws of physics... like that's an excuse. :p
Right. To anyone who says that STO doesn't make you feel like you're a Starfleet Captain, just visit the forums:

You can spend all day staring at a screen and debating minutiae, while giving engineers impossible deadlines for difficult tasks.
Lt. Commander
# 74
02-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
You've just revived a very old debate, where Dstahl called me a troll for posting this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40d-SpClc5Q

That game is now over a decade old, although these sets were made mid-2000s with a ugc tool 8000x more powerful than the Foundry.
/10chars
Lt. Commander
# 75
02-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Much respect to Tumerboy and all the other devs. That kind of sentiment can get lost in a sea of questions, criticism, and occasional bickering, but it's still here. Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Right. To anyone who says that STO doesn't make you feel like you're a Starfleet Captain, just visit the forums:

You can spend all day staring at a screen and debating minutiae, while giving engineers impossible deadlines for difficult tasks.
LOL
Lt. Commander
# 76
02-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Deleted...
Lt. Commander
# 77
02-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Nagus, I'm sorry for generalizing. Obviously I do not believe you all think that way, but I have witnessed a fair number of posts recently that seemed to have that perspective. No, it's not every post, but it was a noticeable amount. More than I would consider 'usual.'

I would ask players (yes, in general) to also avoid generalizations.

All devs are Salary employees. I was not, at all trying to fish for props or admiration based on working long hours. I just wanted to ensure that people understand that the devs here (especially on STO) are dedicated, passionate people. They work their butts off because they love this stuff.

Kyuui, I sincerely appreciate your service, but I don't think military service, and a desk job are totally comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBarrier86 View Post
Heathen666, i agree with your point. We beat these people up because we feel as that we deserve something for our $15, AND I AGREE THAT WE DO. But i think that we have an ethical obligation to treat these people as human beings and not as faceless drones who don't think for themselves. Do you think Dan reads these forums occasionally? How do you think the other devs feel after working all day, just to come to these forums and see 95% trash talk.
Many, many players over they years have asked me why other devs don't post. Do you know what I hear all the time from other devs? "How can you deal with the forums the way they are? How can you constant wade into that poo-storm. It's a mess, everyone hates us all the time."

Whether fair or not, this is the perception that most devs have of the forums. And as I type this, I KNOW that someone, hell, multiple people, are going to latch onto the above quote as a sign of how the devs hate players, or how we don't care what players think. Don't. Seriously, devs read the forums constantly. Not just me. Not just Geko or Logan. Many devs read the forums, ALL THE TIME. They just don't wan to open their mouths (er. . . fingers?) because of the inevitable torrent of seeming hate that gets directed their way. I know that most of it isn't hate, it's just passion for a game and for an IP that we all love.

But on the internet, your inflection does not come through. Your witty sarcasm comes off as elitist snobbery. And often what may be intended as constructive criticism on one end, ends up looking like hate fueled rage by time it reaches the other. This is why it is VITAL to be polite, respectful, and conscious of how your words are going to come across on the other end. I screw it up CONSTANTLY, and I apologize for miscommunications regularly. It's an inevitability. It will happen, but keeping all of that in mind while you post, and remembering that the dev that screwed up whatever you're ****ed off about, is a real, genuine human being on the other end of the tube, is absolutely necessary for your post to come across well, and relay the information you intend to, not the passionate rant we often perceive.

No Dev response, does not equal no Dev interest.
Lt. Commander
# 78
02-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Epic thread for so many reasons. Nagus' logic and Commodore Bob's persistence to name two of them. Nothings perfect but I love this game. Keep the good times coming.
Lt. Commander
# 79
02-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Nagus, I'm sorry for generalizing. Obviously I do not believe you all think that way, but I have witnessed a fair number of posts recently that seemed to have that perspective. No, it's not every post, but it was a noticeable amount. More than I would consider 'usual.'

I would ask players (yes, in general) to also avoid generalizations.
*Glares at the Officer standing before him*
You are the poorest excuse for an Officer I have evr seen General Ization!

Quote:
Many, many players over they years have asked me why other devs don't post. Do you know what I hear all the time from other devs? "How can you deal with the forums the way they are? How can you constant wade into that poo-storm. It's a mess, everyone hates us all the time."

Whether fair or not, this is the perception that most devs have of the forums. And as I type this, I KNOW that someone, hell, multiple people, are going to latch onto the above quote as a sign of how the devs hate players, or how we don't care what players think
Ok...
Tell them for me:
"Loves Loves Loves! Hugs hugs Hugs! Bacon Bacon Bacon!"
If one of them is of a belief that forbids pork, change to Lambchop.
If one of them is of a belief that forbids meat, change to Celery.

Quote:
Kyuui, I sincerely appreciate your service, but I don't think military service, and a desk job are totally comparable.
As a former Infantryman, I assure you, you underestimate the number of desk jockies in the Military.
See the danger of generalizations now?
Lt. Commander
# 80
02-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
I think the only thing comparable would be salary. Aint it fun when you get the same exact check when you don't get a day off for over a month? Other than that... totally not comparable. I for one, would go freakin nuts being stuck in an office building all day. You guys have my respect cryptic, I don't know how you do it every day.
I have a close friend who is a developer in Bellevue, WA. He is lucky to get 1 day off a week. As soon as he makes 1 deadline, another one is right behind it.
Keep it up boys and girls.