Lt. Commander
# 11
02-20-2012, 09:09 AM
I think in the next FE we should pull a James T Kirk and get demoted back to Captain for saving the universe or something.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas45 View Post
I think in the next FE we should pull a James T Kirk and get demoted back to Captain for saving the universe or something.
I've said this for awhile... But especially with the focus on level number in Season 5, I would be inclined to make the higher tiers of Asmiral into Duty Officer rewards for maxing out commendation categories; a Fleet Admiral would be someone who has maxed them all out (as that would show commitment to paperwork/delegation).

So that even if the level cap goes up to 60 or 70, you're still a Captain and displaying Admiral ranks would be contingent on Duty Officer progress in multiple categories.

3 makes you a Rear Admiral, 6 maxed commendation categories makes you a Vice Admiral, 9 makes you full Admiral, and 12 makes you a Fleet Admiral.

And maybe bake in optional dialogues for people who have the DOff progress. So anyone who has maxed a minimum of 3 DOff categories starts getting optional mission dialogues with things like:

[Rear Admiral] I order you participate in the peace talks.

If you have the "Rear Admiral" accolade or above, you can start taking shortcuts in missions based on your rank.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I've said this for awhile... But especially with the focus on level number in Season 5, I would be inclined to make the higher tiers of Asmiral into Duty Officer rewards for maxing out commendation categories; a Fleet Admiral would be someone who has maxed them all out (as that would show commitment to paperwork/delegation).

So that even if the level cap goes up to 60 or 70, you're still a Captain and displaying Admiral ranks would be contingent on Duty Officer progress in multiple categories.

3 makes you a Rear Admiral, 6 maxed commendation categories makes you a Vice Admiral, 9 makes you full Admiral, and 12 makes you a Fleet Admiral.

And maybe bake in optional dialogues for people who have the DOff progress. So anyone who has maxed a minimum of 3 DOff categories starts getting optional mission dialogues with things like:

[Rear Admiral] I order you participate in the peace talks.

If you have the "Rear Admiral" accolade or above, you can start taking shortcuts in missions based on your rank.
This is an excellent idea!
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-20-2012, 09:36 AM
I've stated from the beginning that we shouldn't move past captain, at least as long as we had command of only one ship.

If they were to introduce space combat that included my other ships similar to ground combat with BOs, then I would expect to be at least a Commodore.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-20-2012, 10:18 AM
One of the best reasons to roll alien on a character. I have one alien who has mirror copies of their entire crew as costumes so they can be the XO, the CMO, the Ensign Ricky etc...

+1 Jumja Stick for you for being awesome too
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm fine with the rank structure as is. There is certainly room for improvement, but I feel it should wait until other areas of the game are more robust as well. Once we get improved Exploration and Starbases, there might be enough varied content to differentiate Captain from Admiral.

For now, I think that the most menial of tasks should be left as DOff assignments within missions. Most missions should be written with the fact that the characters are flag officers in mind.

As it stands today, there is very little difference in mission style and objective between Ensign and Vice Admiral. Part of that is the fault of game mechanics and part of that is the fault of writing.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-20-2012, 10:52 AM
I like the rank structure in STO a lot. I like it MUCH better than what other games have - raw levels looking at your from the screen. I used to love what STO old rank system had, it was fun and leveling wsn't boring and didn't feel like grind. Levels kill the perception and imagination.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica View Post
My second uniform slot is a lowly lieutenant and when doing such things as Bajor or other low tasks I play the part of a junior officer. I don't like running around as Admiral so I don't for the most part. Imagination is all in your head. There shouldn't be 300 admirals hovering around DS9 therefor there aren't because I use my imagination. Rank is what you choose to display on your uniform - not what Cryptic displays as a icon next to your name at the top of the screen.

Heck, my tactical admiral weird alien thing flipped uniforms into a human female science officer. I role played that this was the alien shape shifting into the form of her deceased foster mother whom she cherishes and being 'human' made her less scarey to those around her.

My crew were all promoted to commander to get the skills yet they are not all commander. My first officer and medical officer are but the rest are a mixture of chief to lieutenant commander if you look at their uniform.

You must use your imagination and you do even though you don't know you are such as did you destroy the dooms day weapon and become a hero or did every single other player do it also?

TLDR: Your character is what you make of it. If you don't want your admiral to do trivial tasks then flip uniforms and role play as a junior officer ordered to do it by the admiral and have fun.
Running around with the Captains Pips & the Captain title is what I (and from what I see many others) are doing already. Problems are the NPC dialouges which are not tied to the choosen title but to the level. If they would use that I would not care at all if my level at some point tells me that I'm the president of the federation.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Instead of ranking up, I always thought that Captains should receive service pins -- kind of like how, on U.S. military and federal agent dress uniforms (like the Border Patrol), you receive a star to wear for every five years of service.

If they decide to increase the level cap, which I actually hope they don't, this is more the system I'd prefer seeing. We don't need to be Fleet Admirals.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-20-2012, 12:38 PM
I just put Captain pips on my character. Problem solved.