Lt. Commander
# 11
02-25-2012, 02:44 AM
The glowy stuff on the weapons has a simple explanation.
It is current designer myth that higher level weapons most be more exotic to look at and that all different weapon kinds most be easily recognizable from afar to help the players in PvP to see what the opponent is sporting.
However in reality both are just crap. With all the effects and stuff flying around in PvP you are kidding yourself if you can spot what weapon your attacker/target sports. And the other point the majority of players prefer good and sensible looking gear over some fancy stuff that makes no sense in the first place.
Best example, STO ground weapons, SWTOR endgame/pvp gear. That stuff is stupidly bad it hurts.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Umm... what am I looking for in that screenshot? Seriously, all I see are regular looking rifles. No glowing special effects or anything.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-26-2012, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusashorn
Umm... what am I looking for in that screenshot? Seriously, all I see are regular looking rifles. No glowing special effects or anything.
That's because there's no glowy stuff on them.
The pic illustrates how nice the low-level versions look and how well they fit the Trek setting of this game instead of those bulky glowy...things we get to use later.

I think it's telling that the reward we get don't have these annoying characteristics and are not a "pimped" version of the canon versions like we have with these weapons.
To me it shows the DEVs know it was a mistake to make them that way in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-26-2012, 07:20 AM
The glowy bits dont show up in that mission because of the forcefield textures in the skybox.
There are too many textures using shaders on the map, so the engine is too lazy to render them.

And yeah those things do look so misplaced on our weapons. Being able to disable them in a similar way to armor visuals, making them look like simple Mk I weapons, would be a reasonable request.
It's one of the reasons I use Tetryon weapons actually, they look the most ''clean''.

Most Phaser weapons are probably the worst when it comes to looks.
With the exeption of the MACO rifle, it's holographic targeting system seams resonable.
The forcefield bayonet on the other phaser rifles doesn't exactly scream federation design to me.
But okay, it could be useful in combat. But what about the stuff on the side?
Somebody please explain what the random blue junk is doing on the Phaser Stun pistol too.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-28-2012, 02:13 PM
I still honestly don't know what anyone is talking about in this thread, since my own STF borg weapons don't have glowing particle effects on them at all.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Same here I have Blue and purple gear on my guys and I don't notice any wierd effects. They look normal to me.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I would very much like a "Disable Visuals" option for holographic flash, please.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-28-2012, 04:08 PM
I really dislike the blue holographic bits on the ground weapons, and would really like the ability to switch them off please.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-28-2012, 05:48 PM
I like the glowy.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idali
The glowy stuff on the weapons has a simple explanation.
It is current designer myth that higher level weapons most be more exotic to look at and that all different weapon kinds most be easily recognizable from afar to help the players in PvP to see what the opponent is sporting.
However in reality both are just crap. With all the effects and stuff flying around in PvP you are kidding yourself if you can spot what weapon your attacker/target sports. And the other point the majority of players prefer good and sensible looking gear over some fancy stuff that makes no sense in the first place.
Best example, STO ground weapons, SWTOR endgame/pvp gear. That stuff is stupidly bad it hurts.
Yeah... that is something I hate about prety much ALL mmos.... and a lot of "normal" rpgs too, btw.

Especially in STO,.. we have so many awsome costumisation options... why not finding a way to costumize weapon looks?