Lt. Commander
# 21
03-02-2012, 08:58 AM
You know that would be something cool for crafting.

Take a weapon type you want
a look you want
a firing effect you want.
A sound you want.
A energy/kinetic type you want.
Modifiers you want
then craft it into a new weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Instead of a disable visuals toggle on the weapons, lets instead have an enable visual toggle where we can toggle on the visuals of series authentic weapons! (not that we have any *cough oversized for one thing*)
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idali

a look you want
A sound you want.
Modifiers you want
That would be fantastic!
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-04-2012, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberlerchner123 View Post
And yeah those things do look so misplaced on our weapons. Being able to disable them in a similar way to armor visuals, making them look like simple Mk I weapons, would be a reasonable request.
It's one of the reasons I use Tetryon weapons actually, they look the most ''clean''.

Most Phaser weapons are probably the worst when it comes to looks.
With the exeption of the MACO rifle, it's holographic targeting system seams resonable.
The forcefield bayonet on the other phaser rifles doesn't exactly scream federation design to me.
But okay, it could be useful in combat. But what about the stuff on the side?
Somebody please explain what the random blue junk is doing on the Phaser Stun pistol too.
I fully agree, I really don't like these nonsensical holo-shenenigans. The MACO rifle is fine, though, since you can actually see that this is supposed to be a targeting optic. Those blue-glowy bits on the barrels of higher-mark phasers though... not nice.

Please let us turn off visuals, DEVs
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-04-2012, 09:21 AM
???

wow...why people are so ****ed about the glowing stuff?

it makes the game an eyecandy...

the next thread wil be about to remove skilsl effects huh??

seriously guys...the game visuals are hot...

But if the DEVs add an option to disable the holographic stuff.. i hope they do only for the persons self .. so that they can disbale it but others can still see it...

I like to see what MARK the weapon of my enemy has..lol

But is there any deeper reason why people HATE the holographic effect?
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Well, to me it just looks plain stupid. I prefer plain equipment in any game I play, I even discard sparkling epic armours in other games in favour of plain, functonal looking ones.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r9xchaos
???

wow...why people are so ****ed about the glowing stuff?
Who says anyone is whatever-goes-behind-four-asterisks-ed about it?

Quote:
it makes the game an eyecandy...
Opinion.

Quote:
the next thread wil be about to remove skilsl effects huh??
Who cares? It's a forum. People make threads with ideas and suggestions all the time. That's how it's supposed to work.

But yes, people have already asked in the past to be able to disable clientside any of the icon-based skill effects, as well the orange/purple overlays, or at least they be omitted when they're recording a battle or want to take screenshots during a fight. Nanite health monitor will utterly destroy an otherwise good screenshot. They've also asked to be able to turn off engine trails. Again, clientside, so only they would see the difference, and you needn't worry you would lose your ability to see where the other guy is going in PVP.

Quote:
seriously guys...the game visuals are hot...
Oh well, if you say so twice... Nnno, that's still your opinion.

Quote:
But if the DEVs add an option to disable the holographic stuff.. i hope they do only for the persons self .. so that they can disbale it but others can still see it...

I like to see what MARK the weapon of my enemy has..lol
Of course. And then why not have the Devs go and make it so that you can display whatever uniform and and rank insignia you want, but others still be able to see - and by extension, the process forcing you to see - everyone else wearing their armor and kits. That you no longer be able to look like you're wearing STF armor unless you actually are. Nor that you should any longer be able to disable ship equipment from displaying, no matter how much you love your bright pink hullpaint eyecandy and how horrible it looks.

Quote:
But is there any deeper reason why people HATE the holographic effect?
Right now, mostly the fact that you seem to love it is probably doing it for quite a lot of people. People don't need to hate something to ask for another option though. They just need to prefer something else.

I don't think anyone's asking that the holograms be removed from phaser rifles in the game alltogether, just that the holographic component gets an on-off switch that people get to decide themselves whether or not to display. There is room for customization in this game in almost every regard, and that's a good thing for any MMO. There is no reason why this one area should be any different.

Of course, people have been asking for an off-switch for phaser-holograms since Beta. As well as a way to be rid of those flying symbols and color overlays in space. So far it hasn't happened.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idali

a look you want
A sound you want.
Modifiers you want
Suggestet similar about a million times.

The plus for cryptic would be: They could sell weapon skins in their precious c-store..
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-04-2012, 04:36 PM
I do consider the holographics to be representative of the 2409-era aesthetic. So I purposely equip only holographic-style weapons throughout one of my crews.

I also play my game with aesthetics over mechanical advantage. I have an all TOS-era crew. Despite the weapons leveling-with-you theme, they may not be as good as a 2409-era weapon of higher rarity. I would keep the inferior weapon anyway. If ground combat takes longer? Oh, well.

That said, if a disable visual choice could apply to the 2409 hand-weapon holographics only, I'd not have any objection to it. Choices are good.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-07-2012, 08:40 AM
I like the glowy blue stuff, it just needs new visuals.