Lt. Commander
Before i give you my specs, i want to tell you: This game is awsome, or it would be if the dang thing didnt crash all the freaking time. Within the past week, it has crashed virtually every time i have started and played the game. I have no clue why. I send the error reports and such, and its starting not to be worth playing.

Specs:
32-Bit W7 (upgraded from vista)
W7 SP1

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 1.5 GHz
Memory (ram): 3Gb

I couldn't find a whole lot on the forums, so i just decided to post one. Does ANYONE know how this can be fixed? Also, i did not download the game, i bought a $10 retail version (came with free origional flagship) and I would really like to play the game seamlessly...

one more thing, it did work flawlessly during the first week... Crashed to certain specific things (like opening the roster of the fleet and looking at it) but it got worse and now i cant play without a crash. I'm a programmer, so i looked into the files (mostly the data files) that werent binary and could not find anything wrong with them. I have to assume it is the way the program is written and the operating system it is interacting with. I can find no other explanations. If you have a fix for this, i would really appreciate it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
You might want to look into what the requirements are for running the game. I can tell you my old dual core 2.0 crashed all the time with 4 gigs of RAM. After looking into it I realized it was my pc not the game. I've upgraded and have had one crash (it was a system crash shared by everyone) as opposed to the multiple crashes I had before. The retail version I saw was outdated to the many improvements that have been made to game so the requirements on the box probably are too. Hope that helps.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2012, 01:07 PM
no, my computer can run SC2 and never crash at all. It has never crashed. SC2 pushes my computer to (almost) it's limits but i was able to make it to the silver league (which means my comp runs sc2 fairly well) and STO runs much MUCH smoother than SC2. I did some research, but found nothing conclusive. Post processing and dynamic lighting have never been on (i have the settings for optimal performance) and i looked at the advanced graphics options yesterday and turned on "reduced streaming ...somthing or other" and tested it out: I made a PvP Queue and went to a PvE zone and the queue said it was ready for me to join, the game "starting" countdown finished, and them my game crashed, but this time with no cryptic error. It did somthing. I am unwilling to test this further due to the fact that several other people (with much better computers than i) have recieve the Blue Screen of Death when they continued to play with similar problems. So, whithout further a-do, ill gladly let someone else test these problems...

I'm a programmer so i have some theories:

1. A function being called does not respond or process properly
2. preprocessor directives are not being processed properly by the processors (in other words: too much information being processed)
3. Undefined vector/array call leading to severe and instant crash and/or TBSoD (the blue screen of death)
4. A function or file is being called that either does not exist or is un-able to "respond"

I do find programing errors in the game to be a likely explanation, because there are a lot of bugs i have encontered so far:

- did a quest that, when i did not view the quest diag. until after completing an objective the objective would remain "uncompleted" to the game, resulting in a pointless objective

- auto attacking would not toggle properly when rightclicking the icon of the hotkey

- dieing on some ground missions will disable all hotkey abilities

based on this evidence, i can not accept that it is my computer, when the more likely culprit is the game. If i didn't know any better, i would say whoever wrote STO was a very in-effencient programmer. It is clear that they have not wringed every bug out of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi. You're using an outdated version of Intel's graphics driver, which is likely the cause of this crash. Please update your driver from Intel's website.

In the future, you should probably post things like this in the "PC & Technical Issues" forum.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2012, 02:49 PM
My PC,

Intel Core 2 duo 2.4
4gb Ram
Vista 32-bit
GeForce 9600gt

This game has run flawlessly for me for 2 years now. I would have to say that it is your computer and not the game. I have had alot of issue running this game on a pc using an integrated video card though. If that is what your doing that could be a likly cause, also what crypticcliff said.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCliff
Hi. You're using an outdated version of Intel's graphics driver, which is likely the cause of this crash. Please update your driver from Intel's website.

In the future, you should probably post things like this in the "PC & Technical Issues" forum.
cryptic is slow to respond in that area! I have a fatal decompression error that has yet to be properly reviewed by Cryptic a lot of players have tried to help but right now I am to the point where I need cryptic to help so I do not blame this guy for posting this in other areas. This area is called "General Community Feedback" he is trying to get help like most of us are! Sorry if I seem upset but I am not really able to play the game and nor is my fellow companions that have the same issue!

Your guy (Cryptic Tech Team) asked for a Dxdiag back on 01/31 and that was the last response. We are asking for assistance! Please help us CRYPTIC and as far as the OP you might want to visit the "PC & Technical Issues" our non cryptic tech support guys might be able to fix your issue a bit faster!
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaLlama2010
cryptic is slow to respond in that area! I have a fatal decompression error that has yet to be properly reviewed by Cryptic a lot of players have tried to help but right now I am to the point where I need cryptic to help so I do not blame this guy for posting this in other areas. This area is called "General Community Feedback" he is trying to get help like most of us are! Sorry if I seem upset but I am not really able to play the game and nor is my fellow companions that have the same issue!

Your guy (Cryptic Tech Team) asked for a Dxdiag back on 01/31 and that was the last response. We are asking for assistance! Please help us CRYPTIC and as far as the OP you might want to visit the "PC & Technical Issues" our non cryptic tech support guys might be able to fix your issue a bit faster!
I'm a programmer and this is a technical issue. I do not generally browse this forum because it's full of gameplay feedback that I have no control over. If you want a programmer's attention, you need to direct it to the right forum.

As for your decompression issue, there's already an open issue internally for it. We know about it, but the patching system guys aren't big on forums. Try not to equate the lack of response with lack of work being done. Programmers are not community representatives or technical support people.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCliff
Try not to equate the lack of response with lack of work being done. Programmers are not community representatives or technical support people.
Bolded for emphasis.

As an employee at Cryptic Studios, you are at the very least a "Representative of the company of your employment". And if Programmers and the like, are not very fond at visiting the forums, so be it. But then maybe the -actual- "Community Representatives" or "Technical Support People", should make sure and read the forums frequently, and direct the topics to the right people. If there's a programming flaw, the Community Representative, should bring it to the attention of the Programmers for example.

Better yet, have the Programmers actually screen the forums from time to time as well. Always better to get first-hand information, rather than having someone else tell you. It's a well known fact, that stories change depending on the person telling the story, and most frequently when transitioning from one person to the next, then the next etc.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
Bolded for emphasis.

As an employee at Cryptic Studios, you are at the very least a "Representative of the company of your employment". And if Programmers and the like, are not very fond at visiting the forums, so be it. But then maybe the -actual- "Community Representatives" or "Technical Support People", should make sure and read the forums frequently, and direct the topics to the right people. If there's a programming flaw, the Community Representative, should bring it to the attention of the Programmers for example.
They do. Internal issues assigned to programmers often point to forum threads where people are describing issues. The programmer might not become active in the discussion, however. This is combined with being able to actually look up errors on our tracking system (those error ticket numbers are actually useful too).

Quote:
Better yet, have the Programmers actually screen the forums from time to time as well. Always better to get first-hand information, rather than having someone else tell you. It's a well known fact, that stories change depending on the person telling the story, and most frequently when transitioning from one person to the next, then the next etc.
We do. But like I said, I only generally stick to the forums for PC and Technical issues, and Graphical Issues. The team that handles the graphics engine issues need to keep track of forums for both Champions and Star Trek. Please excuse us if we're spread a little thin. I believe the patching people now have even more responsibilities than that thanks to the integration with Perfect World and Steam.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Sorry to come down on you but THANK YOU for the insight a lot of us wondered if the programmers ever looked at the forums and my particular issues does not fit in the confines of a trouble ticket but I am not the only one with this issue. I am happy to see that Cryptic is aware of the area and I want to thank you for being active in your section of the forums from a paid life time subscriber I appreciate it that Cryptic has an active moderation team in the community feedback area!