Lt. Commander
# 11
02-21-2012, 08:54 PM
A programmer! Wonderful!

Perhaps you can take this desperate plea to whoever has to make the decision:

We color blind players would really (as in, REALLY) would like to have the ability to change the UI colors. Personally the only issues I have are the entire Klingon interface (its red..all red... *brain shuts down*) and the map quest locator circles (they're a different tone of green in a light yellow circle... it just blurs into invisibility for me).

Changing my monitor color settings only makes the rest of the game look aweful.. those settings and all software color blind settings cater to those who are deep color blinds but those of us who can tell colors apart just not when they are mixed with other colors of similar hue are left ...blind.

... and while ye at it fix my transphasic torpedos

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaLlama2010
cryptic is slow to respond in that area! I have a fatal decompression error that has yet to be properly reviewed by Cryptic a lot of players have tried to help but right now I am to the point where I need cryptic to help so I do not blame this guy for posting this in other areas. This area is called "General Community Feedback" he is trying to get help like most of us are! Sorry if I seem upset but I am not really able to play the game and nor is my fellow companions that have the same issue!

Your guy (Cryptic Tech Team) asked for a Dxdiag back on 01/31 and that was the last response. We are asking for assistance! Please help us CRYPTIC and as far as the OP you might want to visit the "PC & Technical Issues" our non cryptic tech support guys might be able to fix your issue a bit faster!
you have my sympathy. I have not played the game for a week because i am not going to permanently deter my computer for a game.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCliff
They do. Internal issues assigned to programmers often point to forum threads where people are describing issues. The programmer might not become active in the discussion, however. This is combined with being able to actually look up errors on our tracking system (those error ticket numbers are actually useful too).

We do. But like I said, I only generally stick to the forums for PC and Technical issues, and Graphical Issues. The team that handles the graphics engine issues need to keep track of forums for both Champions and Star Trek. Please excuse us if we're spread a little thin. I believe the patching people now have even more responsibilities than that thanks to the integration with Perfect World and Steam.
i dont want to come out rude, but i just cant resist saying this at all: A GOOD IDEA WOULD BE TO RESOLVE ERROR REPORTS.

when i get the cryptic popup crap to send an error report, i feel like im wasting my time, because there is literally (quite literally) ALWAYS a problem when im playing the game. One day its a quest where a monster spawns in the dam cieling, the objective is to kill him but i freaking cant. The next, it's dieing and the hotkeys wont freaking work until im finished with the mission. The next it crashes or whatever. The point being, there is always a problem. If i were head of cryptic here's what i would do:

1. shut down the servers
2. review every error report and every complaint about glitches
3. have my programers squeez every freaking glitch out of the game (and i mean every single one)
4. have them double check, run tests, alpha test, beta test, and remove the remaining glitches
5. have a test group of about 200 (want a wide range here, better yet put it up online)
6. if everything is PERFECT, and i mean absolutely nothing can be done to make this thing crash, trigger a bug, anything, then bring back the server.

Never once has a Blizzard game crashed on me. Never once has minecraft crashed on me. Never once have any of my games crashed on me the way STO does. I can accept once, twice, MABEY 3 times. I'll even accept a crash if it happens every time a specific action is performed (like bringing up the fleet roster), but If a game crashes every time i play it, it's not a game. It is worthless to me. If the goal of a business is to satisfy it's customers, then it shouldn't matter what processor i have. All my software is up to date, but i can not say the same about my hardware. As a consumer dependent business, i sugest you re-evaluate you'r priotities, because IT'S OBVIOUS THE CUSTOMER IS NOT ALWAYS FIRST WITH YOU.

... well... i guess that was all that needed to be said. I kind of went off there. I guess someone had to say it.

Well, i love Star Trek, please... dont turn your backs. It's a good... no, great way to lose customers.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

also, on another note, if you are spread a bit thin, the big boss or whever is in charge of the "merge" should seriously consider delaying further server activity until they ahve enough peoplr to manage it. God forbid i quit playing just because your "spread a bit thin".
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-21-2012, 10:13 PM
I have played a great many of Online games over the years and yeah, I have had a fair bit of game crashes and I can really relate to the OP's problem. I am a subscribed member and have been playing for 18 days now, and yes, a lot of you will say then I don't know what I am talking about with the following information, but I do, and there is some gaming issue causing the Lag and crashing of the game that doesn't have to do with our computers.

The issues I have is that for roughly my 1st 12 days, I had absolutely not 1 single problem with the game at all, and then my game got auto patched which is normal of course, but after that, bang, my game really started to act up. 1st it started off as a lag maybe 2 times a day, and maybe 1 crash. I got no error code from the game, and it crashed to the login just before choosing your character, but I did get a message in red lettering just above where your username is type in, telling me to click the support button for more information about the crash, but when I click the support button I get the website, and no specific location of the crash cause or error codes.

Only roughly this week has the game been crashing on me and I know it isn't my computer, due to my computer being tested. I could be doing R&D and get a bad lag timed for over 60 seconds, some only for 3 seconds, or I could simply be running through Sol's Starbase going to the bank or shipyard for example, then crash, or a lag.

There have been times when I have had to completely restart the game because I would get crash after crash sometimes up to 6 times in a row with not even being able to play for 20 seconds before it crashes. the one thing I do notice when I start getting crashes is when I notice the long lag periods occurring.

I have taken my computer to my computer technician and he has ran the game from his shop using my computer but his own account and hasn't had a crash but has had long lags, we use different ISP's and I have ADSL2++ while he has Broadband Cable. he ruled out that it wasn't my computer or my ISP and my ISP has even checked the connection and haven't had any drop outs at all.

My Comp tech installed the game onto his computer to do more testing for himself as a few of his customers play STO and he was able to play for a week with no problems even after a patch, then suddenly lots of issues hitting so fast, and his computer has been built by himself all for Gaming only. he knows he shouldn't even be getting a Lag, but he is.

This is definitely a programming issue, I can back that up with a single fact, that 1 thing I do see just before I begin to get a lag of Crash, is the top left corner of the game screen that is updating or installing a patch and I could be in the middle or a battle and I will crash, or get a lag so badly, that by the time my clicking to boost or divert shields has been acknowledged, then I am so far down that i get blown up, all because the lag takes so long to register my action, that I end up defeated.

My understanding of patches, is to fix problems, so why are these latest patches causing a lot of us MORE problems?

Windows 7. 32 Bit Home Premium
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor 3.00 GHz (Quad Core CPU)
4 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 430 (x 2)
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaLlama2010
Sorry to come down on you but THANK YOU for the insight a lot of us wondered if the programmers ever looked at the forums

<snip>

I am happy to see that Cryptic is aware of the area and I want to thank you for being active in your section of the forums from a paid life time subscriber I appreciate it that Cryptic has an active moderation team in the community feedback area!
Bam! Couldn't have said it better myself. Pass the word that reasonable people in the forums still exist.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutLoud
All my software is up to date, but i can not say the same about my hardware.
You are running with version 8.14.10.1930 of the Intel driver. The latest version on the Intel website is 8.15.10.1930.

The crash is happening within the driver and is identical to crashes experienced by other people in our game with the same driver version as you.

Even players in other games have seen the same crash at the same offset within the Intel DLL...

EVE Online: http://community.eveonline.com/ingam...readID=1284767 and http://community.eveonline.com/ingam...readID=1315409
WoW: http://us.battle.net/wow/es/forum/topic/3967599706

All of these users that have posted driver information indicating that they are running Intel's 965 chipset (identical to your chipset) with version 8.14.10.1930 of the driver, which is the version you're running.

You need to update your driver. We cannot fix Intel's driver for you.
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-22-2012, 02:36 AM
Quote:
I'm a programmer so i have some theories:

1. A function being called does not respond or process properly
Functions do not "not respond". They're not individual entities with a mind of their own. They're a few lines of code. When they're called, they're processed. Simple as that. As for "not process properly", this is an extremely vague claim and since the entire program is constructed from functions more or less, you're basically saying "somewhere something is wrong". Useful.

Quote:
2. preprocessor directives are not being processed properly by the processors (in other words: too much information being processed)
Preprocessor directives are interpreted at compile time, they have nothing to do with what happens when you run the program. And even less with "too much information being processed".

Quote:
3. Undefined vector/array call leading to severe and instant crash and/or TBSoD (the blue screen of death)
Bad calls to memory elements would lead to a segmentation fault, which would probably crash the program but it would never cause a BSOD. If it would, it would be very bad design on the side of the operating system, to be brought down by a basic 3rd party program. BSODs are almost exclusively related to either hardware or driver issues and not to bugs in basic programs.

Quote:
4. A function or file is being called that either does not exist or is un-able to "respond"
Non-existant functions would show up at compile time during the linker-stage, not at run-time. Non-existant files would either show up for everyone (i.e. Cryptic forgot the file) or only for people who got rid of the file for some reason. Either way, normal coding practices include graceful error handling for file IO rather than a straight up crash.

TLDR: I'm not very impressed with your "programmer" skills ^^
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
i dont want to come out rude, but i just cant resist saying this at all: A GOOD IDEA WOULD BE TO RESOLVE ERROR REPORTS.

when i get the cryptic popup crap to send an error report, i feel like im wasting my time, because there is literally (quite literally) ALWAYS a problem when im playing the game. One day its a quest where a monster spawns in the dam cieling, the objective is to kill him but i freaking cant. The next, it's dieing and the hotkeys wont freaking work until im finished with the mission. The next it crashes or whatever. The point being, there is always a problem. If i were head of cryptic here's what i would do:

1. shut down the servers
2. review every error report and every complaint about glitches
3. have my programers squeez every freaking glitch out of the game (and i mean every single one)
4. have them double check, run tests, alpha test, beta test, and remove the remaining glitches
5. have a test group of about 200 (want a wide range here, better yet put it up online)
6. if everything is PERFECT, and i mean absolutely nothing can be done to make this thing crash, trigger a bug, anything, then bring back the server.

Never once has a Blizzard game crashed on me. Never once has minecraft crashed on me. Never once have any of my games crashed on me the way STO does. I can accept once, twice, MABEY 3 times. I'll even accept a crash if it happens every time a specific action is performed (like bringing up the fleet roster), but If a game crashes every time i play it, it's not a game. It is worthless to me. If the goal of a business is to satisfy it's customers, then it shouldn't matter what processor i have. All my software is up to date, but i can not say the same about my hardware. As a consumer dependent business, i sugest you re-evaluate you'r priotities, because IT'S OBVIOUS THE CUSTOMER IS NOT ALWAYS FIRST WITH YOU.

... well... i guess that was all that needed to be said. I kind of went off there. I guess someone had to say it.

Well, i love Star Trek, please... dont turn your backs. It's a good... no, great way to lose customers.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

also, on another note, if you are spread a bit thin, the big boss or whever is in charge of the "merge" should seriously consider delaying further server activity until they ahve enough peoplr to manage it. God forbid i quit playing just because your "spread a bit thin".
If you were head of Cryptic they'd go out of business, fixing every bug and 'glitch' would be not only a monumental but most probably an impossible undertaking especially as Cryptic have no control over the majority of code the game interacts with.

As the good man says, update your drivers... Especially when the ones you're using are known to be 'bad'
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannasha
Functions do not "not respond". They're not individual entities with a mind of their own. They're a few lines of code. When they're called, they're processed. Simple as that. As for "not process properly", this is an extremely vague claim and since the entire program is constructed from functions more or less, you're basically saying "somewhere something is wrong". Useful.

Preprocessor directives are interpreted at compile time, they have nothing to do with what happens when you run the program. And even less with "too much information being processed".

Bad calls to memory elements would lead to a segmentation fault, which would probably crash the program but it would never cause a BSOD. If it would, it would be very bad design on the side of the operating system, to be brought down by a basic 3rd party program. BSODs are almost exclusively related to either hardware or driver issues and not to bugs in basic programs.

Non-existant functions would show up at compile time during the linker-stage, not at run-time. Non-existant files would either show up for everyone (i.e. Cryptic forgot the file) or only for people who got rid of the file for some reason. Either way, normal coding practices include graceful error handling for file IO rather than a straight up crash.

TLDR: I'm not very impressed with your "programmer" skills ^^
CrypticCliff already won the thread.