Lt. Commander
# 21
02-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCliff
You are running with version 8.14.10.1930 of the Intel driver. The latest version on the Intel website is 8.15.10.1930.

The crash is happening within the driver and is identical to crashes experienced by other people in our game with the same driver version as you.

You need to update your driver. We cannot fix Intel's driver for you.
While I agree that it's dumb to lie about your "up-to- date" software while sending an error report with your dxdiag, it's kinda sad that you looked it up to call him out on it instead of emailing him...preferably a week or two ago.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilanesellis
While I agree that it's dumb to lie about your "up-to- date" software while sending an error report with your dxdiag, it's kinda sad that you looked it up to call him out on it instead of emailing him...preferably a week or two ago.
I thought CrypticCliff's original reply was quite nice and helpful - especially since this wasn't even in the Tech forum. It wasn't untill Coutload basically replied that Cliff was wrong that proof was brought forward. Plus it's important to have these things on the forum as Coutload probably isn't the only gamer to have outdated Intel drivers.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I thought CrypticCliff's original reply was quite nice and helpful - especially since this wasn't even in the Tech forum. It wasn't untill Coutload basically replied that Cliff was wrong that proof was brought forward. Plus it's important to have these things on the forum as Coutload probably isn't the only gamer to have outdated Intel drivers.
Ii agree, plus he's a developer and it isn't his job to reply to error reports. Not to mention, Coutload may or may not have received a response back at the beginning of the month and dismissed he was convinced it was a game issue.

And there is no excuse for not updating your drivers when you have an issue with a game. Should be step number one. But for me, working in tech support for the last ten years, I would have PMed the reply that stated what driver he was using.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilanesellis
I don't agree. Sometimes you just have to tell a customer the problem is theirs and if they want the issue fixed that they need to follow the instructions that were provided to them.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
You are running with version 8.14.10.1930 of the Intel driver. The latest version on the Intel website is 8.15.10.1930.

The crash is happening within the driver and is identical to crashes experienced by other people in our game with the same driver version as you.

Even players in other games have seen the same crash at the same offset within the Intel DLL...

EVE Online: http://community.eveonline.com/ingam...readID=1284767 and http://community.eveonline.com/ingam...readID=1315409
WoW: http://us.battle.net/wow/es/forum/topic/3967599706

All of these users that have posted driver information indicating that they are running Intel's 965 chipset (identical to your chipset) with version 8.14.10.1930 of the driver, which is the version you're running.

You need to update your driver. We cannot fix Intel's driver for you.
"Windows has determined that your software is up to date."

Think again.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutLoud
"Windows has determined that your software is up to date."

Think again.
You need to go to the Intel website and download their driver. Windows will not automatically update that graphics driver for you. Try this.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannasha
Functions do not "not respond". They're not individual entities with a mind of their own. They're a few lines of code. When they're called, they're processed. Simple as that. As for "not process properly", this is an extremely vague claim and since the entire program is constructed from functions more or less, you're basically saying "somewhere something is wrong". Useful.

Preprocessor directives are interpreted at compile time, they have nothing to do with what happens when you run the program. And even less with "too much information being processed".

Bad calls to memory elements would lead to a segmentation fault, which would probably crash the program but it would never cause a BSOD. If it would, it would be very bad design on the side of the operating system, to be brought down by a basic 3rd party program. BSODs are almost exclusively related to either hardware or driver issues and not to bugs in basic programs.

Non-existant functions would show up at compile time during the linker-stage, not at run-time. Non-existant files would either show up for everyone (i.e. Cryptic forgot the file) or only for people who got rid of the file for some reason. Either way, normal coding practices include graceful error handling for file IO rather than a straight up crash.

TLDR: I'm not very impressed with your "programmer" skills ^^
I worded my theories in a way non-programmers could (to a limit) understand. I know functions dont think for themselves, and i know compiletime will eliminate any SERIOUS errors. This is OBVIOUSLY a runtime issue. Functions can inflict with each other too. One function, for example, may store a memory value that affects the ways another function works. If the value isn't one the function can execute (say that the function square roots a number and the number is negative, the called function can not execute), then because it is a variable the compiler will not pick it up. The compiler can only pick up syntax errors, not computations or runtime errors. I have run a program where it compiles perfectly, but a non-existent vector call caused it to freeze up and eventually crash.
I am guessing, i did not write the game, nor do i know how it works (how each function acts with the others). If you have any better guesses, i would like to hear them.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
You need to go to the Intel website and download their driver. Windows will not automatically update that graphics driver for you. Try this.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/
i did a driver software update check.

also, i find it hard to believe you know what version intel i'm running to begin with.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutLoud
i did a driver software update check.

also, i find it hard to believe you know what version intel i'm running to begin with.
A "driver software update check" is useless. Unless Microsoft specifically provided you the driver to begin with, you have to manually get drivers yourself.

Do YOU know what version of the driver you're running? Here's a thought: go look, then go look at Intel's website, and see if they're different.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
A "driver software update check" is useless. Unless Microsoft specifically provided you the driver to begin with, you have to manually get drivers yourself.

Do YOU know what version of the driver you're running? Here's a thought: go look, then go look at Intel's website, and see if they're different.
no it is not, BECAUSE THE WEB SITE SAID THE SAME DAM THING. I AM UP TO DATE.

im am becoming impatient with this.