Lt. Commander
Edit: Ok, before you reject this idea, please note: This is not to say that Foundry spotlights could replace FEs in general. It is more of a short-term plea for a season of polish that uses Foundry spotlights instead of FEs for a short period of time, while the dev team works on existing systems, fixes, and polish.

Here is the idea for consideration.

Season 7: Back to Basics, Again

1. There would be no new projects under development. Instead, the team would focus on polishing existing systems, fixing things, adding consistency, and doing stuff like making diplomacy match doff integration. It would be another season of polish, but with no big ideas and impending deadlines. The focus would be on improving existing systems, from crafting to PVP.

2. No FEs. Instead, Cryptic would give us 10 remastered Foundry spotlight episodes. These missions would be hand-picked by the devs, given over to their control, and then remastered with a little bit of polish and maybe some cutscenes and VOs, all done by the teams and folks that normally work on FEs. There would be some rewards for playing them.

So, here is the bargain: You guys and gals will get some quality content released at a much faster rate. Meanwhile, the game would get a much needed set of fixes. This doesn't mean that Spotlights will replace FEs in the future, but it's a temporary workaround that could provide the devs with resources, etc. to add polish and fixes that are needed.

Additional perks:

Half of the Foundry spotlights will go to the Klingon faction as added PvE content, thus helping to more fully flesh out the Klingon side.

Cryptic chooses 5 player-made maps and adds PVP functionality for inclusion in the PVP maps.

Cryptic picks 10 non-combat diplomacy missions done in the foundry to add as diplomacy missions. Minimal work and no remastering will be done.

Cryptic picks 10 patrol-worthy missions to add to clusters, which helps to revamp exploration. Minimal work is done beyond adding these to the game.

You might think of other ideas here.

But, basically, the result of a season that is focused on polish, upgrading existing systems, and adding foundry content as in game content could be the BIGGEST expansion of this game for season 7.

What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-20-2012, 08:01 PM
I think it would bet better to have it so both sides can play all of them. I was never a fan of only one side can do said mission. I think its more fun to play it from both points of view.

Other then that if this would give the devs time to fix a lot of the bugs and other things I can see this as being a nice temp run to get things back on track.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-20-2012, 08:08 PM
No.

FE > Foundry, by quite a large amount.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Totally opposed to this.

But you don't really need me to post again on this to know that, Kirkfat.

Cryptic has a storyline. They need to commit to it.

Seriously, even as a Foundry author, these proposals of yours make me wish the Foundry didn't exist.

As a player and a Foundry author, I'd rather have NO STO than a Foundry driven one. If this kind of thinking is STO's salvation, my inclination would be to plead with Cryptic to dump STO and give those devs a fresh start on a new game.

If the players are THAT much better than the official content designers (I don't disagree entirely but I think you exagerate), then Cryptic needs to hire players, not abandon content design.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Totally opposed to this.

But you don't really need me to post again on this to know that, Kirkfat.

Cryptic has a storyline. They need to commit to it.

Seriously, even as a Foundry author, these proposals of yours make me wish the Foundry didn't exist.

As a player and a Foundry author, I'd rather have NO STO than a Foundry driven one. If this kind of thinking is STO's salvation, my inclination would be to plead with Cryptic to dump STO and give those devs a fresh start on a new game.

If the players are THAT much better than the official content designers (I don't disagree entirely but I think you exagerate), then Cryptic needs to hire players, not abandon content design.
L99, please don't misunderstand what I'm asking for here. I'm not saying (at least not in this thread) that foundry spotlights will be better than FEs. It's more a plea for another season of polish, in which foundry spotlights (at least to some degree) can compensate for a lack of new features, FEs, etc.

Basically, a plea for a season of polish, with foundry missions used to at least throw some bones to the playerbase.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiblePerson
No.

FE > Foundry, by quite a large amount.
QFT (and I've done two Foundry missions that have received very good responses and reviews overall; and LIKE the Foundry and want to see it functionality expanded. BUT, IMO, the Foundry missions that even come close to what we see done in FEs are few and far between. I've yet to play one that I think was better than an FE series myself.)
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
QFT (and I've done two Foundry missions that have received very good responses and reviews overall; and LIKE the Foundry and want to see it functionality expanded. BUT, IMO, the Foundry missions that even come close to what we see done in FEs are few and far between. I've yet to play one that I think was better than an FE series myself.)

Ok, I titled this thread poorly, lol. I'm not trying to say this. Again, it's more of a plea for a season of polish with the foundry spotlights used to provide some new content.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Do you know what. After playing Dereliction Duty by Nagorak last night. ( and let me give you a mini review of it. HOLY CRAP that was good. ) I fully agree with this. there should not be a reason each week to not have a featured foundry episode between weekly episodes.

Another thing. The devs need to play that episode. I use to think some of their old episodes were good, and some of them were, but they need to take a note from Nagorak. I am sorry, but if one STO foundry maker can make missions like that. ( and I know there are others. It is my quest to track them down now ) I expect a LOT better from the devs ( who have better more powerful tools, and are paid to do this ) You should be doing a lot more, and the next featured episode series should at the caliber as some of these foundry episodes, or better.

Cryptic. I enjoy what you have done, but at the same time. I want to ask you to push yourself more, because I won't lie. your being out done by someone who isn't paid to make the game.

anyway I support this thread 100%
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish

anyway I support this thread 100%
Hey Zodi, please play my missions!

*end selfless plug.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Hey Zodi, please play my missions!

*end selfless plug.
You got it. I won't lie. I am kicking myself in the butt for not seeking the better ones out sooner. ( curse you real life keeping me away from good things. )

Tonight I am doing Atlas Affair to finish the next part of duty, but Kirkfat which one of yours should I start first, and in what order? I will add them to my list.