Lt. Commander
Quote:
At first I thought I was going to split this column and discuss two different things: the new DS9 Bundle offered by Cryptic Studios in the Star Trek Online C-Store and the newest featured episode, The 2800: Of Bajor.

Although there still is a lot to talk about the bundle, after playing today's episode, I realized that it would be impossible to write about both and that I needed to concentrate on one.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02...ve-as-it-gets/
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-20-2012, 03:10 PM
About the bundle ...

Quote:
which makes it a really good deal for 1800 C-Store points.
Not sure I'd call it a good deal for 1800 C-Points. I got the TOS bundle for a lot less.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-20-2012, 03:14 PM
And this is really inaccurate:

Quote:
The 2800 series has been described by friends, quite accurately, as something unlike any mission STO players have been asked to undertake before.
I'm sorry but I've done enough diplomacy missions, and clicked enough consoles in my time, to really disagree with that sentiment. I've found the mission to be on par with the Breen non-combat mission, just extended out a bit further. In fact, this entire arc so far has been pretty similar to the Breen series in term of pacing and action and story. I like the Breen Featured Episode. So I'm not knocking this series. Just saying that the second part of the 2800 isn't really anything we haven't already done a zillion times in the past.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-20-2012, 03:31 PM
A bit much excitement for a "mission/episode" that is actually just a collection of a few minigames.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-20-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm sorry, but "you're friends" did not play the same 2800 that most players were subjected to. Most broken series in STO history sadly.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
A bit much excitement for a "mission/episode" that is actually just a collection of a few minigames.
The Captain's Log entries are always like this. They are little more than PR spin for the game. Don't expect any actual "games journalism".
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I'm sorry but I've done enough diplomacy missions, and clicked enough consoles in my time, to really disagree with that sentiment. I've found the mission to be on par with the Breen non-combat mission, just extended out a bit further. In fact, this entire arc so far has been pretty similar to the Breen series in term of pacing and action and story. I like the Breen Featured Episode. So I'm not knocking this series. Just saying that the second part of the 2800 isn't really anything we haven't already done a zillion times in the past.
I'd disagree for the following reasons:
  • This is the first STO mission to have truly branching objectives--not just optional ones.
  • Puzzles done in this series outclass anything in the Breen Series: more involved, incorporated artwork, etc.
  • "City Zone" of Bajor has more usefulness post-mission than Defera still does today (i.e. not a lone Ferengi selling stuff).
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-20-2012, 04:48 PM
After the box-bashing debacle, I find it hard to read much of Terrilynn's Massively column without getting the "Cryptic Cheerleader" vibe. I can't say I enjoy it.

I understand that the column is there to promote the game, but lately... Yeah.

Sorry, Terrilynn. I'm not feeling it, and didn't find much to agree with in this week's column, either.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
After the box-bashing debacle, I find it hard to read much of Terrilynn's Massively column without getting the "Cryptic Cheerleader" vibe. I can't say I enjoy it.

I understand that the column is there to promote the game, but lately... Yeah.

Sorry, Terrilynn. I'm not feeling it, and didn't find much to agree with in this week's column, either.
Why anyone would put stock in anything written by Massively is beyond me...
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminMaxwell View Post
Why anyone would put stock in anything written by Massively is beyond me...
As bad as Massively can be, it could be worse... MMORPG.com has to go as far as to retract their editorials and reviews on occasion.