Lt. Commander
Before we docked at DS9 , we had the look of a lush dark brown/gold nebula's .
That , combined with the staggering beauty of the Bajoran Wormhole gave the whole place a rather unique look/feel .

Now , we have a glaring sun (that is so bright that even the station looks like it's a different color (no longer a metal dark brown) , and we have a streak of a purple nebula (just like any other random star system) .

But hey , we have "lens flare" outside the station as well as inside it , so it's all good right ?
No , not really .

I know Cryptic probably won't change the look back to the way it was , but I still had to say something as a truly beautiful and unique star system was lost ... , in favor of ... I have no idea what .
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
... , in favor of ... I have no idea what .
DS9 being a bit more like in the show?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-19-2012, 06:13 AM
I'm glad they ditched DS-Brown in favour of DS-9.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
DS9 being a bit more like in the show?
Even if I were to think that (and it had occurred to me BTW) , it's way to bright .
DS9 had a 45% light , 55% shadow ratio in the intro , and I don't recall all the ships being this bright on all the battles around DS9 .
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-19-2012, 12:42 PM
I prefer the way it is now to the old ugly brown nebula. I want to see every system updated with the new look. Currently in most systems the sun is way too close and not very bright at all.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Sorry you don't like it. I had heard nothing but complaints about the brown nebula when I got started, and so we tried to make it look much more like the show.

In the show, it's a very bright side light, with very dark shadows. It's black space, with few/dim stars, and a bit of purple Denorios belt behind the station.

I relit the maps, with a strong side light. Unfortunately, we can't really get as dark of a shadow because it becomes difficult to play int he dark, so I made it much darker than it was before. The wormhole casts it's own light upon the station, which, when it's on, brightens some of the dark spots more.

I added a sun. Despite the fact that I don't remember DS9 exterior shots from the show ever showing a sun, it was clearly there. I added lens flare because I wanted the sun to look more realistic than most of the suns I've seen in our game so far. It's small, it's bright, and it's white.

I know a lot of people have an automatic aversion to lens flare, and it can definitely be overdone. However, lens flare exists. Not just in cameras, but in your eyes as well. When you look toward a bright light, surrounded by darkness, you will see the light blow out, glow, and will even see streaks. I tried to replicate that without making it overbearing.

I'm sorry if you don't like the sky file, some tweaks could be made, but overall, I have heard far more positive responses to the changes than negative, and thus, it is unlikely to be returned to the old way.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Canon. Now shush.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Sorry you don't like it. I had heard nothing but complaints about the brown nebula when I got started, and so we tried to make it look much more like the show.

In the show, it's a very bright side light, with very dark shadows. It's black space, with few/dim stars, and a bit of purple Denorios belt behind the station.

I relit the maps, with a strong side light. Unfortunately, we can't really get as dark of a shadow because it becomes difficult to play int he dark, so I made it much darker than it was before. The wormhole casts it's own light upon the station, which, when it's on, brightens some of the dark spots more.

I added a sun. Despite the fact that I don't remember DS9 exterior shots from the show ever showing a sun, it was clearly there. I added lens flare because I wanted the sun to look more realistic than most of the suns I've seen in our game so far. It's small, it's bright, and it's white.

I know a lot of people have an automatic aversion to lens flare, and it can definitely be overdone. However, lens flare exists. Not just in cameras, but in your eyes as well. When you look toward a bright light, surrounded by darkness, you will see the light blow out, glow, and will even see streaks. I tried to replicate that without making it overbearing.

I'm sorry if you don't like the sky file, some tweaks could be made, but overall, I have heard far more positive responses to the changes than negative, and thus, it is unlikely to be returned to the old way.
Frankly, DS9/Bajor system space is now the best in the game. At this point, I hope your boss type people give you lots of time in your schedule to polish more star systems like this. Right now, I get all sad when I have to leave the Bajor system. You've brought a much needed sense of realism to a game that has felt far too much like a comic book.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Everyone's entitled to their opinions and preferences, but it's obvious that what we have now is FAR MORE ACCURATE with regards to the television show that what we had before.

I'm gratified to hear that it will not change.

That said, please fix two things:

1. The star is in a different position relative to the wormhole when inside the station than when outside. They should be the same.

2. Find a way to keep the lens flare from being visible through the walls in the station. It should be visible through the port-holes. But not through the bulkhead.

-Forjo
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-19-2012, 06:03 PM
It could be argued that the star should just be removed altogether. DS9 is not in any star system, it's in interstellar space next to a wormhole. It does not orbit a star, nor is there any one particular star nearby.

The station gets "magical interstellar light" so it is visible, as ships and stations often did in the shows/movies even though they spent the majority of their time in interstellar space where there should be no illumination. To fix the DS9 zone, you could simply just remove the sun, but keep the lighting (invisible light source)

I actually wish the lens flare were simply removed or if we could get the option to toggle it on/off in the video options, like every single other game made since 1995 has. I don't think it's realistic (you don't get lens flare by looking at the sun, only if you're looking through a lens) and it's usually way overblown (as it is here as well).

On the whole, however, I agree- Bajor and DS9 actually almost look like what they do in the shows, which is badly what STO needs to be applied all over the entire galaxy.