Lt. Commander
# 1 When the lights fade
02-21-2012, 02:12 AM
I love Star Trek and I like Star Trek Online as its the only game out there that is an official Star Trek MMO. With that being said - I have a general question regarding the game itself when the times come to close its doors forever.

Let me explain:

This is not a doom thread stating that CRYPTIC will fail etc.. etc... this is more about releasing the game to the public for public use.

All things must come to an end, even games like WoW, TOR, RIFT, etc... will see an ending - however; I've heard of companies releasing their product for private server use.

What does this mean? It means that on these private servers there are chances for talented programmers to make mods for the game, which blast the door wide open for interesting content.

I know I am jumping the gun here - but I am hoping when the lights fade, the last studio lights is turned off, that they will eventually release the game to the general public for private server use.

(NOTE: I am looking far down into the future and in no way am I suggesting that STO will FAIL or die in a month or so )
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2012, 02:17 AM
I suggested this back 2 years ago in beta... was flamed to the point where I had to visit the ER for surgery.

I hope you have better luck.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2012, 02:21 AM
hopefully when the game does reach its end, which i hope is like a decade away, the foundry will be at a stage where players can do almost anything the devs can do, and the community keeps it alive for another decade.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm not sure if the original poster has followed most Private Servers of Dead MMOs but it's incredibly uncommon for intellectual property to be distributed this way.

There's a good chance that other games will be using the backbone of Cryptic's tech years down the road and I doubt PWE would tolerate that being out there (especially the server/account database tech).

I mean, the most talked about is SWG and even then the possibilities of "wide open" mods aren't a reality.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
hopefully when the game does reach its end, which i hope is like a decade away, the foundry will be at a stage where players can do almost anything the devs can do, and the community keeps it alive for another decade.
I concur ...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2012, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'm not sure if the original poster has followed most Private Servers of Dead MMOs but it's incredibly uncommon for intellectual property to be distributed this way.

There's a good chance that other games will be using the backbone of Cryptic's tech years down the road and I doubt PWE would tolerate that being out there (especially the server/account database tech).

I mean, the most talked about is SWG and even then the possibilities of "wide open" mods aren't a reality.
True, I am hoping for the "What if" factor. As far as keeping up with the many dead MMOs yeah the IP is tough to get your hands on, but those that do allow it have met with some interesting gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Well, as long as the lemmings among us continue to pour money into fluff items via lottery boxes and to a lesser degree, direct C-Store purchases, STO will not want for funding.

My main concern is Perfect World taking a standpoint that fluff items are all that need focus from development and the game itself will just stagnate.

I played through both Second Wave and Of Bajor today, and I really liked how they play out. What worries me is what will happen after Episode 5 of this series. How long will the next content drought last before the get around to releasing the next featured episode series? When are the Klingons going to finally be brought in line with the Federation in terms of PvE content?

Perfect World supposedly want them to produce the third player faction (Romulans) by STO's next aniversary. But if they have yet to increase in size, I do not see how they can realistically hit all these milestones.

We already know not to expect more than one more FE series this year. So what comes next and how will they manage to produce a viable romulan faction in less than a year? Why won't they just come out and tell us what is planned to be added to the GAME this year. Not to the lottery box loot table. Not to the C-Store. To the G A M E ?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-21-2012, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Why won't they just come out and tell us what is planned to be added to the GAME this year. Not to the lottery box loot table. Not to the C-Store. To the G A M E ?
I think if they plan well, the game will continue strong. I am hoping it continues for decades to come, especially if they up the ante with improved foundry tool.

Eventually like all things, one day, STO will shut down - but that does not have to mean its the end for STO - New life can be given if the game is released to the general public for private server use. I'm more thinking along the lines of the distant future.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Obviously the Foundry, user generated content can keep the game alive for a long time to come. AS for the gaps in the updates. For me at least I come and go to other games. If you are board with STO just come and go. Its easier now that its free to play. Also realistically not everyone needs a new season constantly. There are many ways to keep the game fresh. Have you played every type of character? Have you tried the Klingon content? How about more factions? Even if Cryptic does not have the programmers to create new factions with storylines. They could just create the ships and space Etc. etc. And let the community do the content stories. Each mission would have to meet certain criteria to be used as official content. It would be Cryptics job to outline how to write stories and missions that could be used and approved. I would love to be a ferengi captain on a ferengi ship. Seeking profit at every turn. How much fun would that be. We could even have a grand Negus. And some factions could ally with either Fed or Klingon. The possibilities are endless. All they have to do is open the door. Imagine commanding an entire ship of Jem Hadar. Being a Vorta captain. Or piloting Borg vessels as liberated Borg. There are so many angles never used in this game yet. The only real road block is getting permission??

Oh! and its a pleasure to post here. This is a great topic!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-21-2012, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
Eventually like all things, one day, STO will shut down - but that does not have to mean its the end for STO - New life can be given if the game is released to the general public for private server use. I'm more thinking along the lines of the distant future.
You know BlackV7. that day can be put off for a long time, and I honestly think it will. we have survived our first two years together, and so I believe me have made it past the fate of Tabula Rasa, Earth and Beyond, and Auto Assault. After going free to play I do believe that will save of from the fare of games like the Matrix Online, and others due to low sub numbers. ( I believe the Matrix could have been saved if it went free to play, but it died in a time of pay to play. not the golden age of free to play. as I see it ) So we will have high sub, and high profits thanks to the C-Store ( even if we don't like it. ) Plus also our one server design means that our server can be scaled down and up dependent on how many players we have currently playing the game.

No. the only real threat to us at this point is ourselves. If we some how lose the license, and / or a brand now Star Wars MMO ( a real one. not a browser one. ) is released and CBS doesn't want to have two MMOs of the same IP on the market. ( AKA TOR and SWG... ) and maybe if Perfect world closes down, but I find that unlikely seeing that they are a MMO company and know how to make money off of MMOs.

Yes we will close down on day, but honestly. If we keep on getting better. Keep on giving feed back. I see us as a game that will hold on and keep growing now that were free to play. I see Star Trek Online lasting like EverQuest, and Ultima Online.

Of course anything can happen. this is just based off my opinion of the game's history, the power behind the IP ( Star Trek is a power house, and being free to play makes it even more powerful now ) and the fact that we are controlled by perfect world. A company like it or not knows how to make money off of free to play MMOs and that is the important part. In the end. as long as there is profit. There should be a game.

As for public servers. I honestly don't see them becoming legal. chances are when do shut down. there will be another, and maybe even better Star Trek MMO.

( Also sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes. This was written at 2 am and I am lazy right now. )