Lt. Commander
# 1 Are we at war or not?
02-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Something has been bugging me about the war for a while now. It took me a while to put my finger on it but I finally did. First, by the time you start the Romulan missions the war is bairly even mentioned, but this is the way it's been since launch. What really bothers me is I go to DS9, one of the most important starbases in the Federation, and I see Klingon warships and Klingon warriors. I know they're there for Task Force Omega, but why would Starfleet give access to one of thier most important stations to the enemy they're currently fighting a war with? I don't see the war ending, but I think Task Force Omega should be moved. I think they should build a small starbace where Battelgroup Omega is currently located and Task Force Omega should operate out of this new station.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2012, 12:01 PM
DS9 is not one of the most important stations in the Federation. It was briefly thrust into the spotlight by the Dominion War, but with the war over and no major threats from the Gamma Quadrant until a week ago, it's back to being a backwater outpost. The biggest threat out there is the True Way, who've stolen portions of the limited fleet that Cardassia wasn't forced to scrap after the war.

If you follow the dialog of the second half of the Klingon front, the war was burning out as it was, except for B'vat's increasingly ridiculous plans to prolong and escalate it. B'vat's dead now.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2012, 12:06 PM
One is never at peace with the Klingons. You find another target for the Klingon blood thirst and hope that keeps them occupied enough to leave you alone.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2012, 12:17 PM
My general point is that Starfleet wouldn't just allow an enemy free reine of one thier starbases, and that task force omega should be located in a more neutral location.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_trekie View Post
My general point is that Starfleet wouldn't just allow an enemy free reine of one thier starbases, and that task force omega should be located in a more neutral location.
Like K7, as noted in my link in my signature.

I'm going to go back and replay the Klingon missions in the order Cryptic has suggested. Maybe I'm missing something.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
DS9 isn't a starfleet station. it was built by the Cardassians and became a Bajoran station after the Cardassians were evicted post occupation. Starfleet just helps with administration and operations. Other than Drozana Station, it's the most neutral station we have.

Yes the commander is Starfleet, but even back on the series it was still mostly neutral.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Yeah... no... I mean of course we are. Not. Don't know

PvP dictates we are at war. An idea to solve this mess would be to change to "we are at war" descriptions of PvP missions to "we make a battle simulation with our allys". Fluffy text change with no change to the PvP mechanics behind. All good. *sigh*

This Klingon - Federation war is no war anymore. Its an on-off relationship. It already felt forced in DS9 but it had the shapeshifter infiltrator scott-free. Re-using that is kind of lame.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Farmer
DS9 isn't a starfleet station. it was built by the Cardassians and became a Bajoran station after the Cardassians were evicted post occupation. Starfleet just helps with administration and operations. Other than Drozana Station, it's the most neutral station we have.

Yes the commander is Starfleet, but even back on the series it was still mostly neutral.
And Bajor joined the Federation, which makes it a Federation starbase.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
OP, you are exactly right. the Klingon War is one of the most absurd things about the back story. No Federation admiral with a grain of strategic sense would allow the Klingons to stream fleets of battle cruisers through your space so they can successfully launch a two pronged attack on the Federation. And no Klingon General would be stupid enough to miss such an obvious opportunity. IRL, do we regularly allow countries we are at war with dock ships at our ports? Or enemy aircraft refuel at our air bases after they completed a bombing run on our cities?

Keep in mind that Bajor is also now a Federation homeworld, so why are you allowing your direct enemy in your territory? Are we to believe the Betazoids welcomed the Dominion when they arrived? If I were a member of the Bajoran government, I'd me making some serious threats about withdrawing from the Federation, as I certainly won't believe they have my people's best interests in mind. If the Klingon's change their mind and attack us, guess which world is bearing the brunt of the opening fighting.

Lastly, I disagree with the comment about DS9 being a backwater outpost. With the fall of Cardassia, this is the central outpost for the entire rebuilding effort. It's proximity to Cardassia and the last Federation stop before Cardassian territory, all those traders sending materials to the rebuilding effort are surely making this a hub of the quadrant.

Let's not forget the importance of the wormhole. War or no war, the threat to Alpha Quadrant is still very real and needs constant surveillance. Furthermore, it's likely that trade between the two powers resumed following the war.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_trekie View Post
Something has been bugging me about the war for a while now. It took me a while to put my finger on it but I finally did. First, by the time you start the Romulan missions the war is bairly even mentioned, but this is the way it's been since launch. What really bothers me is I go to DS9, one of the most important starbases in the Federation, and I see Klingon warships and Klingon warriors. I know they're there for Task Force Omega, but why would Starfleet give access to one of thier most important stations to the enemy they're currently fighting a war with? I don't see the war ending, but I think Task Force Omega should be moved. I think they should build a small starbace where Battelgroup Omega is currently located and Task Force Omega should operate out of this new station.
Task Force Omega was the convenient reason ton get both KDF and UFP together at a common place. With the events that have occurred in the new FE series as it has gone so far, I'm figuring that Task Force Omega will actually factor into the conclusion.