Lt. Commander
# 1 Closing off DS9
02-21-2012, 12:02 PM
I was flying around Beta Ursa today and had to make a stop to access my bank. Of course I stopped at DS9. But that got me thinking. What for what is left for the duration of "The 2800" that they close off DS9 as a social zone until the FE is complete.(except for replays). That would put a realistic feel to the game, even for for a few weeks. And since you have the Bajor social zone for now, toons could just go there to access the bank, etc. And any of the Cardassian Front missions could be moved to Bajor for pickup now since Kurland is there. Its probably not logistically possible, but I thought it would be a cool idea if it could be done. What about it Devs?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Those who are still ranking up have missions that take place only on DS9. A couple of them take place in the docking ring of DS9. Since you don't want to ask them to put their ranking on hold for several weeks, this is one of those "it's a game" things.

Now, once the FE gets put into the standard level progression rotation, then we open up the possibility of temporarily removing access to DS9 for those at that point of progression.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Instancing makes this possible. Different instances makes this possible see SWTOR, Balmorra.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Would also prevent people in claiming their STF gear as well.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Could have Omega Force relocate to Hathon in the appropriate instances.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2012, 12:08 PM
i just dont go there anymore its annoying cos i cant turn in any borg salvage however i think little things like that make it all the more important. that way we see that things like that have an effect on the STO universe rather than ohhh look the dominion have just captured DS9 ohhhh well never mind. gives as a drive to want to take it back. it would be good if you could connect things like that to the missions. so when i start the 2800 you cant get into DS9 until you take it back
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2012, 12:09 PM
I think they chose to leave it open because DS9 is tied to many other things in the game, and redirecting everything off DS9 might've been too much of a hassle to do. Plus I imagine it would've caused more of an uproar from people wanting it open than from those wanting it to be closed off.

I really don't mind it. Keeping it open is for the best of both worlds. if you want immersion, just don't use DS9 until the series run ends.