Lt. Commander
Now...before you panic, screaming "OMG that's sooo much to do! We'd never see the end of it!!" think about this:

Thanks to story- and patrol missions, each system already has a zone (most of them even space + ground).

I just don't like flying through our galaxy passing all those systems and never really being able to actually go there, unless I've got a mission in there.

All of what would need to be done is taking these existing maps, making them void of any enemies and turn them into free-for-all-instances, just like the already existing social zones are.
Players entering a system would have to pass a check, where it is determined wether they're on a mission or not. If they are, they get put into the mission map. If not, they land in the "clean" zone that everyone can join.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-22-2012, 06:06 AM
push, so maybe Tumerboy can consider it, now that he's joined the STO team.

I wanna fly through the rings of the astonishingly beautiful Pico system again!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2012, 08:55 AM
LOL I love when players decide what's easy or hard.

Sorry, this is a monumental undertaking. Yes, the assets are there, but there is a lot more to it than just saving them off to a new map. 90% of that would would be done by design, who's already pretty swamped.

I can imagine us slowly opening up more systems as we proceed, but I don't think it will ever be everything. Sorry :/
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post

Sorry, this is a monumental undertaking. Yes, the assets are there, but there is a lot more to it than just saving them off to a new map. 90% of that would would be done by design, who's already pretty swamped.

I can imagine us slowly opening up more systems as we proceed, but I don't think it will ever be everything. Sorry :/
OOOOOoooo.. Do Tell !!

Swamped with what...?

(I want UN-Official Tumerboy Leaks !!)

Lt. Commander
# 5
02-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post

The problem with the current "Social Zones"; is that there is very little to actually DO in those areas. New zones like Andoria, Risa, Starfleet Academy, are most often only visited a few times, and then abandoned forever.

Case in point: Andoria. Designed for dueling. Abandoned not long after it was first opened to the public, and no dueling ingame as of yet. Risa, "Vacation spot", but are there any swimwear ingame? No. Are there any non-combat activities on Risa? Springball, Raquetball, Swimming.. Nope.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
The problem with the current "Social Zones"; is that there is very little to actually DO in those areas. New zones like Andoria, Risa, Starfleet Academy, are most often only visited a few times, and then abandoned forever.

Case in point: Andoria. Designed for dueling. Abandoned not long after it was first opened to the public, and no dueling ingame as of yet. Risa, "Vacation spot", but are there any swimwear ingame? No. Are there any non-combat activities on Risa? Springball, Raquetball, Swimming.. Nope.
I'm sure they "want" to do it, but something somewhere is limiting them. It seems they "want" to do a lot, but something is always limiting them. Manpower, Money, Cups in the kitchen, something....

at some point one begins to wonder how they get anything done with all the limits and things dragging them down.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
I'm sure they "want" to do it, but something somewhere is limiting them. It seems they "want" to do a lot, but something is always limiting them. Manpower, Money, Cups in the kitchen, something....

at some point one begins to wonder how they get anything done with all the limits and things dragging them down.
Not ot mention our constant effervescent harping, at what we want added to the game...
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
Not ot mention our constant effervescent harping, at what we want added to the game...
I wouldn't mind if Cryptic NEVER added another thing to STO... As long as they FIX what is already there. As I said previously, you have an entire social zone (Andoria) designed for dueling... and yet, no dueling exists ingame. Fix dueling maybe? For starters...

But we all know, that's never gonna happen.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
I wouldn't mind if Cryptic NEVER added another thing to STO... As long as they FIX what is already there. As I said previously, you have an entire social zone (Andoria) designed for dueling... and yet, no dueling exists ingame. Fix dueling maybe? For starters...

AMEN!

I wish they pick a month and call it "Bug Squashing Month" and do nothing but hunt down and swuash all the bug still in this game, some almost as old as the game itself I think.

If they did that and brought down the game every Tues and Thurs to apply said fixes I think the vast majority of the playerbase would be cheering throughout the month
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Quote:

How does one FIX something that doesn't exist yet?

And which set of players should give up for now, their particular request/desire to accommodate yours?

It's a very tenuous situation and I'm glad I don't have to be the one making those decisions...

And have to deal with the rage that would follow.