Lt. Commander
# 41
02-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSNighthawk
There were Ambassadors in service up until at least Wolf 359, probably even later.
The Ambassador U.S.S. Excalibur was in part 2 of Redemption which I believe was in season 4, 5, or 6. And seeing as Calhoun is in game some stuff from new frontier may count in STO so that would put Ambassadors still being used as late as 2376.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
And the rest of that post you quoted explained why I think the Excelsior is still better.
Which is just opinion not fact.

Quote:
Just because something is technologically more advanced doesn't mean it's more reliable.
Congrads you just debunked the main argument against Connies at T5 as in some cases they were more reliable then Galaxies, such as being able to take more of a pounding in the Engineering section then Galaxies before exploding, and yet CBS isn't happy about one being usable at Endgame

Quote:
A Chevy Volt is more technologically advanced than almost anything on the road, but most cars would still be able to drive circles around it.
And this has what to do with STASHIPS? Also again this argument doesn't seem to work with CBS.

Quote:
The Ambassador could have been the victim of its own advancements and was seen as a lemon by Starfleet.
Speculation not fact.

What we do know for a fact is that Ambassadors were still active in the 2360s-(possibly) late 2370s and seemed to be doing similar missions to the Galaxy where as the Excelsior was stuck doing the less glamours jobs.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
the capture and reverse engineering of the enterprise C is likely why the romulans were able to design and build the enormous d'deridex. the romulans didn't even want to chance an encounter with starfleet until they had fleets of d'deridex's in service. they saw how tough the 15 year old enterprise C was in 2344, they wanted to be more then ready for any advances starfleet made since then.
Of course the funny thing is, the Enterprise C was only so tough because she went forward in time to an alternate time line, and was partially repaired before returning to battle...

Just saying

And why do most people seem to forget that the federation was at one time at war with the cardassians before we saw them on the show?
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyman2480 View Post
Of course the funny thing is, the Enterprise C was only so tough because she went forward in time to an alternate time line, and was partially repaired before returning to battle...

Just saying

And why do most people seem to forget that the federation was at one time at war with the cardassians before we saw them on the show?
they did little more then prolonged the inevitable, they didn't have time to refit the ship or anything. they gave it a second wind, brought all its tactical systems back on line and recharged its shields, it likely just made the battle last a few minutes longer then it would have. the enterprise C did the vast majority of its battling before it went through the rift.

and from the 2350s to about 2366 the federation was at war with ether the tzenkethi, tholian, or cardasian. some of these conflicts were happening at the same time. this all went on wile the galaxy class was being developed, it was not piece time. its likely that these conflicts caused the development of the akira, and all the other new ships first seen in first contact, not the first borg invasion. they would have needed more development time then there was time between the first and second borg invasions, it would take a decade to design a ship as large as an akira or sovereign.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
its likely that these conflicts caused the development of the akira, and all the other new ships first seen in first contact, not the first borg invasion.
Yeah i think it was the Borg, before Wolf 359 Starfleet hadn't really had a major a#$kicking that they would make more military oriented ships

Quote:
they would have needed more development time then there was time between the first and second borg invasions, it would take a decade to design a ship as large as an akira or sovereign.
They were designing new ships and weapons a year before the first invasion as pointed out in BOBW. Plus I don't think it would take that long for a quadrant super power to design and develop new ships.

I mean they said it would only take a year for Starfleet to recover from Wolf 359, plus they really only had 6 months to get ready for the first invasion since they wasted the other 6 months on political infighting.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresto View Post
I think that your right on the Klingon one (mostly) but not on the Romulan one. The Federation and Romulans had the huge war that was supposed to have been shown in Enterprise"s season 5.
Were do I start ....

The Earth-Romulan War dates back to "Balance of Terror" that is a TOS episode.
Of course since it taken place well back to Enterprise could use it but its not something out of Enterprise itself, it dates back to TOS.

Quote:
Ever since they agreed to "peace" every Romulan encounter has involved them attacking throughout TOS. It also seems that between TOS and DS9, the Federation were the only ones who considered the peace treaty to be legitimate (the Romulans certainly didnt through their constant attacks on Federation or Klingon space).
*sign*

And here I am with "Balance of Terror" again, Spock said that the Romulan Neutral zone was set after the Earth-Romulan War and there have been neither race have been in contact with each other since the end of that war.

And of course there was series called "Star Trek:The Next Generations" that taken place after TOS and before DS9, so we know what happened after "The Final Frontier" until the TNG episode "The Neutral Zone" and all you are saying is to simply put ...

ITS A LIE!

Quote:
The way I see it, the Ambassador class while not in a time of "war" , was built in a time it had to be prepared for one or at the very least, heavy combat. The Enterprise-C was destroyed because of a Romulan excursion into Klingon space. While maybe it was'nt a war, it was definitly a shoot on sight policy by the Romulans, and a shoot if shot on policy for the Federation.
Except two things.

First, there was a Klingon-Romulan alliance for a while (in fact the first time we seen a Klingon D7 cruiser it was ... in a Romulan episode), Battle of Narendra III was important because of the political repercussions, the Klingon-Romulan relations deteriorated even further as Klingon-Federation relations improved.

Second , we know a bit about the Ambassador-class, its referred to as a Cruiser and as a Heavy Cruiser back in in their heyday (TNG:"Conspiracy") so that would put it about the same as the Cheyenne class at best since Constitution class was also considered a Heavy Cruiser back in their heyday.

In short, at BEST you would get a Tier 3 that would be a problem as we have the Excelsior class as the Advanced Heavy Cruiser, they overlap and it cannot be done as a skin since the Excelsior have the Transwarp Drive Coil.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Video evidence in DS9:Emissary suggests that the Ambassador Class should have a slightly slower top speed to the Nebula, with a fractionally faster turning speed.

Now that I think of it, those two ships should have very similar mass, and probably have similar mission applications. But given the Nebula's prevalence and presumably modular "mission pod" architecture, it would be easy to understand why we see so few Ambassadors in TNG and beyond, if, having been replaced in the "first ship" role by the Galaxy, the Ambassadors (relegated to the second string) were essentially in the process of being replaced by the more adaptable Nebula.

It still doesn't explain the prevalence of Miranda-line and Excelsior-line vessels in the fleet... but again, it was a TV show, and models were expensive.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartzilla2007 View Post
Yeah i think it was the Borg, before Wolf 359 Starfleet hadn't really had a major a#$kicking that they would make more military oriented ships

They were designing new ships and weapons a year before the first invasion as pointed out in BOBW. Plus I don't think it would take that long for a quadrant super power to design and develop new ships.

I mean they said it would only take a year for Starfleet to recover from Wolf 359, plus they really only had 6 months to get ready for the first invasion since they wasted the other 6 months on political infighting.
i just listed 3 a$$ kickings. the fleet was so full of outdated excelsiors and mirandas during this conflict that starfleet proboly lost more then they should have during the fighting, causing a rush to design a new generation of ships of all sizes. it took 20 years to design the galaxy class, 10 years is a reasonable amount of time to expect it to take to design and build the sovereign at least.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-21-2012, 07:03 PM
perhaps make if the single fighter carrier?
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-21-2012, 07:09 PM
You know that if they do it, it'll be on the C-Store. So why not make it a T3 +1.

I don't think it could be a skin. Its geometry isn't right to fit the Galaxy.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Glory
You know that if they do it, it'll be on the C-Store. So why not make it a T3 +1.
Steps on the Excelsior's toes and we cannot have that in TSO it seems.