Emerg to shields, reverse shield polarity, Aux to Structural, Plasma Vent
Emerg to Weapons, Eng Team
Emerg to Engines
Transfer Shield Strenth, Polarize Hull

Thanks for any help anyone can give
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Excelsior is set up perfectly for a cannon build.

Fore: 3 single cannons, 1 torp launcher
Aft: 3-4 turrets, 0-1 torp launchers.

Tac Boff: THY 1, CRF 1, CRF 2

Rest as you see fit.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2012, 08:08 PM
From what I see you're trying to dps with the excelsior, which is pretty much the way to go with that ship, so consider one of the following builds to maximize dps...

Build #1

Fore:
DBB x 3 (anti-proton)
Q-torp x 1

Aft:
Turret x 4 (anti-proton)

BO:
TT1 - HY2 - BO2
EPW1 - **** - **** - DEM3
EPW1 - **** - ****

Eng console:
EPS x 2, neutronium, ****

Science console:
borg universal, 35% shield

Tactical console:
anti-proton mag regulator x 3

The **** are whatever skill, console, etc., you feel appropriate for survival, cc, more dps, and so on.

Basically you park your ship in front of a target, point, and shoot. The fast turn rate of the excelsior it's never a problem switching to a new target. This way, ALL of your weapons fire 100% of the time. Never have to worry about missing a torpedo rotation. Lastly, if you do the math, you get a larger firing arc (90deg) with this build vs broadsiding (70 deg).

Note: anti-proton does the highest dps of any weapon, and will out perform the hybrids you have.

Build #2:

Fore:
Cannon x3 (anti-proton single cannon, not double/heavy cannon, and yes excelsior can use single cannons)
DBB x 1 (anti-proton)

Aft:
Turret x 4 (anti-proton)

BO:
TT1 - BO2 - CRF2
same everything else, except you may want 3 EPS because of BO2.

Same idea as the first, you're trading a small bit of dps for a larger firing arc (180 deg for everything except the DBB). With this build you're able to move around a little more, but again you need to watch out for the 90 deg arc for your DBB. If you want to, you can always trade out the DBB for a Q-torp; just remember to change out BO1 for HY1.

Edit: Corrected the BO layout.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2012, 11:34 PM
I ran the Excel retrofit for a long time, and I found kinda my own way of keeping the damage more consistant. Here is how I ran it:

Weapons:

3 Beam Arrays
1 Torp

(for both fore and aft, though a pure beam boat with good weapons energy and regen can work too)

Engine/Shield/Deflector: Your choice. If you have a set, I recommend you use it. If not, Positron Deflector, any engine, and a Resilient Shield works well.

Consoles:

Eng: 4 Neutronium Alloy
Sci: Field Generator and one console of your choice (the Transwarp computer is nice, but try to only use that when you need to jump around sector space a lot, it doesn't add much for battles)
Tac: 3 consoles of whatever energy type you are using for energy weapons.

BOFF slots:

Ensign Engineer: Engineering Team 1.
Lt. Engineer: E-power to shields 1, Reverse shield polarity 1
Cmdr. Engineer: E-power to anything 1, Aux to structural 1, Aux to dampeners 1, DEM 3.
Lt. Sci: Sci Team 1, HE 2.
Lt. Cmdr Tac: Tac team 1, FAW 2, HYT 3 (though an attack pattern of some kind also works well)

This set up here I used generally as a 'just chillin, killin' kind of set up. For when you are doing most normal things in the game that aren't PVP or STFs. If you are looking for PVP, I dunno, but I can say what I did for STFs:

Weapons: 3 Tetryon Beam arrays (both fore and aft), along with fore quantums, and aft Tricobalt.

Consoles: See above, only have a Biofunction Monitor in the other sci slot, plus using Tetryon buff consoles in the tac slots.

Engine/Shield/Deflector: Originally I used the full Borg set for awhile, but when I got the full MACO Mk XI, I used that in it's place.

BOFFs:

Ensign Engineer: E-power to shields 1
Lt. Engineer: E-team 1, RSP 1
Cmdr. Engineer: E-power to shields 1, RSP 1, E-power to shields 3, EWP 3
Lt. Sci: Polarize Hull 1, Tractor Beam repulsors 1.
Lt. Cmdr. Tac: Tac Team 1, Torp spread 2, and Target Subsystem 3*

* Usually this was Target weapons 3, but I could easily switch out for Target shields as well if needed.

Generally, the point of this set up was a general survivability for STFs, mostly elite ones.

Five powers that involve shields might seem like WAY too much, since my hull could easily take damage, and that's true, but I found out quickly that if you lose your shields, without having a quick way to RUN LIKE MAD, you were probably going to die regardless of any other factor.

If Donatra or a tac cube feels like killing you, they CAN and WILL in elites.

the tractor repulsors are there really to augment EWP 3, namely in slowing down BOPs, Spheres, and probes. But it's a bit tricky to use, if you don't feel like you could use it well, use another sci ability. Polarize hull is there for both breaking tractor beams and damage resistance. If nothing else, it'll save you for a few more moments to get off another volley of fire or pull away with evasives.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-22-2012, 01:10 AM
Here's my Excelsior Retrofit:

TT1, APD 1, BO3 for beams or CRF2 for cannons
ET1,EPS2
Epw1,Aux2Sif1,EPS3,DEM3
ET1
HE1,TSS2

ALL Borg or Aegis or Aegis engines & Deflector, Borg shield, Borg console. Unless you have the entire MACO set then use that.
EPS console, Neutronium alloy, Borg console, your choice of ENG console which can be the Plasma Dis Manifold or RCS Console
Emitter Array console, Field Generator console
3 weapons console (Antiproton is best)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-22-2012, 03:51 AM
What is TUC Torpedo Console, never seen this before? Is it a new console?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyell
From what I see you're trying to dps with the excelsior, which is pretty much the way to go with that ship, so consider one of the following builds to maximize dps...

Build #1

Fore:
DBB x 3 (anti-proton)
Q-torp x 1

Aft:
Turret x 4 (anti-proton)

BO:
HY1 - BO1
TT1
EPW1 - **** - **** - DEM3
EPW1 - **** - ****

Eng console:
EPS x 2, neutronium, ****

Science console:
borg universal, 35% shield

Tactical console:
anti-proton mag regulator x 3

The **** are whatever skill, console, etc., you feel appropriate for survival, cc, more dps, and so on.

Basically you park your ship in front of a target, point, and shoot. The fast turn rate of the excelsior it's never a problem switching to a new target. This way, ALL of your weapons fire 100% of the time. Never have to worry about missing a torpedo rotation. Lastly, if you do the math, you get a larger firing arc (90deg) with this build vs broadsiding (70 deg).

Note: anti-proton does the highest dps of any weapon, and will out perform the hybrids you have.

Build #2:

Fore:
Cannon x3 (anti-proton single cannon, not double/heavy cannon, and yes excelsior can use single cannons)
DBB x 1 (anti-proton)

Aft:
Turret x 4 (anti-proton)

BO:
BO1 - CRF1
same everything else, except you may want 3 EPS because of BO1.

Same idea as the first, you're trading a small bit of dps for a larger firing arc (180 deg for everything except the DBB). With this build you're able to move around a little more, but again you need to watch out for the 90 deg arc for your DBB. If you want to, you can always trade out the DBB for a Q-torp; just remember to change out BO1 for HY1.
Some great builds here, question though, how are you fitting tac team 1 in there with BO1 or HYT1? It only has 1x Lt. Cmdr tac spot. I think that It might be best to go all cannons (even though its lame and boring) and go with 2 copies of CRF, and tac team 1. So the build would be:

4x Cannons Fore
4x Turrets Aft

Tac Lt. Cmdr: TT1; CRF1; CRF2
Eng Cmdr: EPtW1; Engie Team 2; EPtS3; DEM3
Eng Lt. Cmdr: EPtW1; RSP1; EPtS3
Sci Lt.:HE1; TSS2 (or you could go with polarize hull 1 and HE2 for more hull heals and a hold escape).

Consoles that make sense, probably 2xEPS and 2 Neutronium or 1 neutronium and 1 flavor; borg console, antiproton consoles, +35% shield cap console, etc.

I'm not sure how this would measure up to say 4x DBBs fore and 4 turrets rear (which is the second highest dps arc, the highest being rear arrays and fore cannons, with an awkward 35 degree arc off on your side...4 DBBs and 4 Turrets has the advantage of being less awkward because its forward facing) with BO3; CRF1; TT1
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes01101 View Post
Some great builds here, question though, how are you fitting tac team 1 in there with BO1 or HYT1? It only has 1x Lt. Cmdr tac spot. I think that It might be best to go all cannons (even though its lame and boring) and go with 2 copies of CRF, and tac team 1. So the build would be:

4x Cannons Fore
4x Turrets Aft

Tac Lt. Cmdr: TT1; CRF1; CRF2
Eng Cmdr: EPtW1; Engie Team 2; EPtS3; DEM3
Eng Lt. Cmdr: EPtW1; RSP1; EPtS3
Sci Lt.:HE1; TSS2 (or you could go with polarize hull 1 and HE2 for more hull heals and a hold escape).

Consoles that make sense, probably 2xEPS and 2 Neutronium or 1 neutronium and 1 flavor; borg console, antiproton consoles, +35% shield cap console, etc.

I'm not sure how this would measure up to say 4x DBBs fore and 4 turrets rear (which is the second highest dps arc, the highest being rear arrays and fore cannons, with an awkward 35 degree arc off on your side...4 DBBs and 4 Turrets has the advantage of being less awkward because its forward facing) with BO3; CRF1; TT1
Ok, first thing... very sorry about the BO slots. I was thinking about the layout of the sov when I wrote my post, but I think you got what I was trying to say.

As for all beams, here is how they stack up when compared to the 2 builds I listed.

Vs build #1: The BASE dps of 8 beams is about 3-5% higher. However, you get more bang for your buck with beam overload when you have DBB instead of regular beams. In addition, you have a total of 3 tac BO abilities, and if you have all beams then you have to run BO1 and BO2, which is fine, but chews up so much weapon power that it makes all your weapons hit like a wet noodle. And if you do 7 beams + torp (for HY2) then not all of your weapons can shoot; i.e. either the 4 rear beams or the 1 torp in front. So basically the all beams has a higher base dps, but when you think about abilities, the DDB will net you more total dps.

Vs build #2: Same concept as the the above... 4 cannons + 4 beams will give you a higher base dps, but my build will give you more total dps when you consider abilities. When you use 3 cannons + 4 turrets, you have 7 weapons that benifit from CRF instead of 4. And since you have the tac BO slot, might as well pick up beam overload, since it gives you like 5000 dps (for 1 sec, with a single shot). And also, notice that I mention DEM3. DEM increase the amount of damage your weapons do PER SHOT, thus 3 cannons + 4 turrets with CRF gives you the highest number of shots which boosts your overall dps by a rediculous amount.

Hope this help, I've tried to explain best I can, so if there's anything not clear please let me know.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyell
Ok, first thing... very sorry about the BO slots. I was thinking about the layout of the sov when I wrote my post, but I think you got what I was trying to say.

As for all beams, here is how they stack up when compared to the 2 builds I listed.

Vs build #1: The BASE dps of 8 beams is about 3-5% higher. However, you get more bang for your buck with beam overload when you have DBB instead of regular beams. In addition, you have a total of 3 tac BO abilities, and if you have all beams then you have to run BO1 and BO2, which is fine, but chews up so much weapon power that it makes all your weapons hit like a wet noodle. And if you do 7 beams + torp (for HY2) then not all of your weapons can shoot; i.e. either the 4 rear beams or the 1 torp in front. So basically the all beams has a higher base dps, but when you think about abilities, the DDB will net you more total dps.

Vs build #2: Same concept as the the above... 4 cannons + 4 beams will give you a higher base dps, but my build will give you more total dps when you consider abilities. When you use 3 cannons + 4 turrets, you have 7 weapons that benifit from CRF instead of 4. And since you have the tac BO slot, might as well pick up beam overload, since it gives you like 5000 dps (for 1 sec, with a single shot). And also, notice that I mention DEM3. DEM increase the amount of damage your weapons do PER SHOT, thus 3 cannons + 4 turrets with CRF gives you the highest number of shots which boosts your overall dps by a rediculous amount.

Hope this help, I've tried to explain best I can, so if there's anything not clear please let me know.
I didn't mention a build involving 8 beam broadside. I mentioned a build using 4x DBBs and 4x Turrets and a build using 4x cannons and 4x BAs. Now the question is, on an excelsior, what is the optimum build, considering Boff abilites on the tac spot (the rest pretty much stay the same) and weapon load out.

There are 3 options:

4 DBBs and 4 Turrets

4 Cannons and 4 BAs

3 cannons (1x DBB or 1 Q-Torp) and 4 turrets

(the reason I didn't include your build number one which includes beams, cannons, and a torp, is because we only have 3 tac slots to work with, and making all of those effective is just not possible with only those three slots, especially with my propensity to want to use 2 copies of CRF when im not using BO3)
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes01101 View Post
I didn't mention a build involving 8 beam broadside. I mentioned a build using 4x DBBs and 4x Turrets and a build using 4x cannons and 4x BAs. Now the question is, on an excelsior, what is the optimum build, considering Boff abilites on the tac spot (the rest pretty much stay the same) and weapon load out.

There are 3 options:

4 DBBs and 4 Turrets

4 Cannons and 4 BAs

3 cannons (1x DBB or 1 Q-Torp) and 4 turrets

(the reason I didn't include your build number one which includes beams, cannons, and a torp, is because we only have 3 tac slots to work with, and making all of those effective is just not possible with only those three slots, especially with my propensity to want to use 2 copies of CRF when im not using BO3)
If you're a tac captain, running 2 copies of CRF is a bit redundent, since for 30 sec out of every 3 mins one of those copies is going to waste because of tactical initiative. Even if you're not tac, DEM is on a 1m30sec CD, so there isn't such a pressing need for 2 CRF's. So personally I'd say to get the most out of the ship 3cannons + 1 DBB/Q-torp and turrets is the best you can get. It gives you a large arc for the cruiser, and any dps loss is made up for with abilities.

Also, if you're going to run 2 copies of CRF, it would be better to use 4 cannons + 4 turrets instead of BA in the back. The reason is the the turrets will fire at an increased dps for almost the entire time, which puts it right up there with the BA's, but it only drains 8 weapons power instead of the 10 BA need. This translate into more dps for all you're weapons, which I believe makes it better. And with 4 turrets, you get a 180 arc vs the BA which only gives you tiny 35 arc.