Lt. Commander
# 21
02-22-2012, 01:30 AM
maybe we could launch those from a fed carrier haha
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-22-2012, 02:12 AM
At the end of the first episode of the Romulan FE, I always wished they could find a way to have OUR ship warp in. I would've loved nothing more than if my ship would warp in, and hold off the enemy while I make a daring Star Trek V shuttle landing.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-22-2012, 04:00 AM
I imagine the Defiant would've had room for just the one shuttle.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-22-2012, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'm not so sure.

Quite a lot of evidence has mounted for the Defiant to be at least 170 meters, which I believe is the scale they went with in game. Technically, the Defiant relative to DS9 itself was never shown to be less than 200 meters.

Likewise, it probably has at least 5 decks, contrary to the technical manual, since dialogue mentions 5 decks and some visible diagrams show 6.

At 170 meters, that gives about 3 meters clearance on all sides for a runabout to make it out of the bay.

The 120 meters is mostly wishful thinking based on the desire to vindicate the tech manuals.

Here's a shot of the Defiant with a runabout:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6...iantdanube.jpg
However, the Defiant is designed to utilize as much space as possible for Weapons, Power, and Armor. It does not have luxury and does not generally leave itself open to things like big shuttle bays. If it has large bays they are probably used to hold Phaser Batteries and Torpedoes.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-22-2012, 04:49 AM
Well....

I really dont get the point of the discussion. There is a reliable source for the Defaint size, and that is the MSD that is even in the new Interior.
A lot of people go for the MSDs as main reference and I thing this is a good way to do it.

And for the shutle: Where it is and how fits in is clearly seen on the MSD too.
And the shutle HAS a warp drive, since it USED warp the one time it was actually used in "the search" the very first episode the Defaint appeared in.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
Well....

I really dont get the point of the discussion. There is a reliable source for the Defaint size, and that is the MSD that is even in the new Interior.
A lot of people go for the MSDs as main reference and I thing this is a good way to do it.

And for the shutle: Where it is and how fits in is clearly seen on the MSD too.
And the shutle HAS a warp drive, since it USED warp the one time it was actually used in "the search" the very first episode the Defaint appeared in.
According to Drex, the MSD was intended by the designers to be illegible and many inconsistent MSDs were made as well. The DS9 producers didn't want to commit to hard technical details and the art was intentionally supposed to be unreadable with an indeterminate number of decks.

The problem is, various sources such as Star Trek: Captain's Chair started cleaning up production art that was intentionally hazy and illegible. This led to them trying to hammer down details such as when Drex collaborated on the DS9 Tech Manual... But they were working with production art that had been designed SPECIFICALLY to confuse people about size and number of decks so as to remain non-committal. The series writers, in turn, chafed at the manual and actively dismissed it.

And the manual is not really consistent with a single frame of DS9. At best, it attempts to make sense of MSDs that were created with the deliberate and stated goal of making it difficult to determine size or number of decks, whose labeling was supposed to remain forever illegible to the audience by design.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
However, the Defiant is designed to utilize as much space as possible for Weapons, Power, and Armor. It does not have luxury and does not generally leave itself open to things like big shuttle bays. If it has large bays they are probably used to hold Phaser Batteries and Torpedoes.
Any ship is going to need a cargo bay. Put it next to the shuttle bay and use it for extra shuttles or other cargo as needed. The DS9 Technical Manual actually shows this. Cargo bay is right next door. Even at 120m the ship is half as big as a WWII aircraft carrier. I think it can carry a couple of shuttles. This is one of the things that has always irked me about Star Trek. Voyager is the size of a Nimitz class supercarrier but the crew always complained about how small it was and could only carry a couple of shuttles.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
It's not necessarily just being able to (barely) get out of the doors. You also have to store it, and be able to move it around inside the shuttlebay. It also needs to balance out with the need for more shuttles(even if they could fit a runabout inside the Defiant shuttlebay, it would be sitting on the doors and filling up the majority of the shuttlebay, leaving absolutely no room for any other craft).
meh, that's what transporters are for, just put a big ol' pad in the cargo bay and beam the sucker in and out of the launch bay.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCorrino
Any ship is going to need a cargo bay. Put it next to the shuttle bay and use it for extra shuttles or other cargo as needed. The DS9 Technical Manual actually shows this. Cargo bay is right next door. Even at 120m the ship is half as big as a WWII aircraft carrier. I think it can carry a couple of shuttles. This is one of the things that has always irked me about Star Trek. Voyager is the size of a Nimitz class supercarrier but the crew always complained about how small it was and could only carry a couple of shuttles.
To be fair, Nimitz class super carriers don't have warp drive, self contained life support, and ludicrously huge private quarters for all crew members.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
The Defiant is no less than 170 meters. The DS9 TM is not a reliable source.

A theory, perhaps the 120 was for the original Prototype and 170 was for the production?

Either way there is plenty of room for a Shuttlebay. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverspar View Post
Firstly, the Defiant has no listed size. Secondly, those are impulse drive engines, not warp nacelles, it even states it doesn't have an anti-matter/matter warp core. It's even stated as such which means it is incapable of warp flight.
Afraid you are very much incorrect with the listed size.

And Impulse Engines do not have defiant-style buzzard collectors or warp nacelles.