Lt. Commander
# 31
02-22-2012, 11:17 AM
This is something i've been saying for awhile. If we're purchasing and using shuttles w/ our current craft, we need a functional shuttle bay to launch/land. I've seen better functionality in both ST:Elite Force/EF2 and Second Life with a fanboys designed ship than I have in this game. Part of that I blame on a lack of both vision and resources w/cryptic..

A Side Question: Whats the hold-up on getting sub-orbital navigation on shuttles. I'd rather fly my Delta, Galileo or Runabout down to a planet and take off from there as well if I had the ability to do. If STO is serious about keeping people playing, they should be focusing on both of these things i've mentioned instead of throwing out prize boxes, which is killing this game..
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdanger View Post
A Side Question: Whats the hold-up on getting sub-orbital navigation on shuttles. I'd rather fly my Delta, Galileo or Runabout down to a planet and take off from there as well if I had the ability to do...
Something like that was talked about at one point... basically the ability to do shuttle fly-overs, I think. Probably lost in everything else, I'd imagine.

Actual landings, though, would have the same map issue we have with ships and bridges. Your "character" is either a ship on a space map or a humanoid on a ground map and can't be both at the same time.

I would not want to fly down as a shuttlecraft and then basically morph from a shuttle into a person. And then your BO's would have to "beam in" anyway.

Don't get me wrong, if they ever build that in I'll be as giddy as the next guy.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Something like that was talked about at one point... basically the ability to do shuttle fly-overs, I think. Probably lost in everything else, I'd imagine.

Actual landings, though, would have the same map issue we have with ships and bridges. Your "character" is either a ship on a space map or a humanoid on a ground map and can't be both at the same time.

I would not want to fly down as a shuttlecraft and then basically morph from a shuttle into a person. And then your BO's would have to "beam in" anyway.

Don't get me wrong, if they ever build that in I'll be as giddy as the next guy.
There are tricks that can be pulled there. Such as maneuvering a shuttle to a certain point, having a landing cutscene where the landing party emerges from the shuttle, and then having ground gameplay with the shuttle as a prop. There are logistical and tech issues with that though.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-22-2012, 01:02 PM
While im not a fan of the "cutscene", I could understand it being used for something like this, for a disembark animation or switching to internal shot of shuttle for loading/off-load. Else wise, I'd rather fly my shuttle down for a mission. Im not asking for "MS Flight"-type of controls, but something akin to what you would've see in SW: Battlefront with ship flight. Zone transfer would be the tricky part, but thats why you hire smart people to figure those things out LOL
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdanger View Post
While im not a fan of the "cutscene", I could understand it being used for something like this, for a disembark animation or switching to internal shot of shuttle for loading/off-load. Else wise, I'd rather fly my shuttle down for a mission. Im not asking for "MS Flight"-type of controls, but something akin to what you would've see in SW: Battlefront with ship flight. Zone transfer would be the tricky part, but thats why you hire smart people to figure those things out LOL
I'll add that quite a few of the cutscenes in game already DO cover changes in the game environment, which is one reason why there's no skip button.

I've tinkered around with this in Foundry missions, which admitedly have no cutscene tools, and sometimes you want to do big things like change some of the terrain or reposition some things while adding or toying with contacts and it only works if you can force the player somehow not to look at what you're messing with while you change things behind their back.

For example, I suspect that without the cutscene in Mind Enemy, you'd see Hakeev and his Lieutenant beam out. You're tricked into thinking they walk where they're going by seeing the cutscene when the actual avatars are actually beaming out and being replaced by versions who beam in at the destinations where you fight them.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post

That reminds me of way back when the game went to open beta. One of the bugs of the week was your ship beaming down instead of your away team.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCorrino
Any ship is going to need a cargo bay. Put it next to the shuttle bay and use it for extra shuttles or other cargo as needed. The DS9 Technical Manual actually shows this. Cargo bay is right next door. Even at 120m the ship is half as big as a WWII aircraft carrier. I think it can carry a couple of shuttles. This is one of the things that has always irked me about Star Trek. Voyager is the size of a Nimitz class supercarrier but the crew always complained about how small it was and could only carry a couple of shuttles.
Half as big as a WWII Aircraft Carrier is not exactly huge and when you are trying to maximize your available space with the idea of Armor, Power, and Weapons you may not have the motivation to "find" room for a Shuttle Bay. Not every ship requires a Shuttle Bay or even a large Cargo Bay. Defiant needs Cargo Room for the absolutely bare necessities of Torpedoes, Phaser Batteries, and Engineering supplies. It is NOT a Cargo ship or multipurpose craft like the Galaxy.

The Intrepid Class has a lot of ITS space dedicated to advanced warp drive, sophisticated computers, and Science Ship sensor Arrays. These things take up a lot of room. Add in the crew quarters and internal science Labs and it is a somewhat cramped ship compared to behemoths like Star Cruisers and Galaxy Class ships.

It is all about what you design a ship to have. Yes, you CAN make any given ship into a veritable Shuttle Carrier but that is not the way Starfleet designs their ships.