Lt. Commander
Keeping in mind that I'll probably just choose based on what looks the coolest, I was wondering if those in the know would be willing to share their views / experiences on the two types of Rear Admiral cruisers. It'll be a bit before I need to choose since I've been Klingon focused lately, but I figure it may help me start building towards one or the other.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Well, from the looks of it, the Assault Cruiser is more beautiful, of course. Full stop.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2012, 12:39 AM
If looks are the concern, no one else can tell you what you like better than yourself.

Aside from that, Assault Cruisers have better tac Boff options, whereas Star Cruisers give you more science or whatnot.

Personally, I think all of the star cruiser designs look retarded, so I don't fly them. That doesn't mean they can't be potent. I just wouldn't be caught dead in one.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-22-2012, 09:23 AM
^-- wot he said

All in all I am finding the lower level science skills pretty unimpressive... No, more like nearly-useless. The extra ensign slot is pretty weak... Science team? Well, I have hazard emitter, and EPTS, and I already have Eng Team from my 2 nice engineer slots....

Sci1 is pretty lame. Instead I went for a slightly-more-useful Tac1 slot, which gave me an extra option (set to Tac Team I). More useful IMO than "Sci Team I" was.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Assualt cruiser is by far more useful where it matters, such as STFs and pvp. And it also looks better that the star cruiser, which looks like a bloated whale.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Star Cruiser all the way. I like the look, and the extra sci console lets you put in another shield emitter (For when they start working again) and the field emitters. I personally find the tac ensign to be useless other than a tac team (I already have a beam and torp ability on the lieutenant) which is brilliant for redirecting shields on the dime, but if you can watch your shields well enough it doesn't make a difference and in Borg fights a polarize hull/hazard emitters in addition to a polarize hull/hazard emitters on the Lt. Sci is very helpful. Running Sci team on the it as well keeps you more durable in my opinion which is actually useful since the Borg don't just 'lol shields gone' anymore and will keep you in the fight to soak up more damage. The Assault is also a good ship but a lot of people seem to fly them these days, and they don't fly them particularly well (Not that all Star Cruiser Captains are genius's) and anything the assault can do the Advanced Heavy Retrofit can do better with its superior turn rate and the lt. cmdr. tac slot. However if you still wish to be more DPS oriented but not pay the C-Points, the assault is the way to go. The assault isn't better than the star though, nor is the star better than the assault. The just both have a different play style and both are perfectly viable at end game it's just a matter of personal preference.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Veddy intrestin'. Super tank vs shooty tank?

I wonder which one would benefit the most from an all turret build since both are slow to spin?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-23-2012, 05:01 PM
That's a tough one, I'm more a beam boat person, but I think the Star Cruiser would be more of an all turret, whereas with the Assault you have the turn rate to equip single cannons up front and turrets in the back.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-23-2012, 06:01 PM
It's all about canon my friend. The Sovereign was in the movies. The Star Cruiser was made for a video game. A Sovereign class ship was crewed by the TNG cast. The Star Cruiser wasn't. The Sovereign class saved the Earth and the future from the Borg. The Star Cruiser didn't. And finally the Sovereign class included the Enterprise-E (an official Enterprise, not a lame video game one), and the star cruiser didn't.
Ensign
# 10
05-18-2013, 02:18 PM
I love the look of the star cruiser .
picked when i was a noob and then released its terrible for a tac cruiser guy
like me ,oh dear.
at least im pretty