Lt. Commander
# 1 ST:VOY Year of Hell = Movie
02-24-2012, 07:58 AM
I was watching the ST:VOY Year of Hell episodes, while Voyager had it's faults, does anyone else believe it was a lost opportunity for the franchise? I remember reading several articles around the web that stated "Year of Hell" was suppose to last an entire season, but for whatever reason was cut and condensed into a 2 part episode.

If the idea was left intact as an overall story arc for the Voyager crew, would you have gone and seen it? Or does everyone believe it could have been a flop like Nemesis (debatable) was for the franchise in the late 2000s?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2012, 08:12 AM
No.

I stopped enjoying the films after they switched to using CGI starships.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2012, 08:14 AM
That would have been worse than JJ's abomination. The Year of Hell shouldn't have even happened because Kes warned Janeway about it...then 7 of 9 took Kes' place and just copy + pasted lines that Kes used ...
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
No.

I stopped enjoying the films after they switched to using CGI starships.
so you stopped watching in mid DS9?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2012, 08:17 AM
It would have made an excellent movie. Certainly a missed opportunity.

But then again, I think the whole of the Voyager series should have been like Year of Hell and was a missed opportunity. I wanted to see what would happen when the technology around them began to break down, as Voyager transitioned from state of the art Federation vessel to a ship being held together by the skin of its teeth. To see the crew uniforms get slowly tattered, nerves begin to fray, attempts on Janeways leadership, mutiny, and some very dark stories, but at the end of the day the lead characters pulling together and surviving against the odds.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_wirge
so you stopped watching in mid DS9?
I didn't stop watching the series, I meant that the movies didn't feel as movie-like when they started using more CGI and less models for their shots. It just looks cheap and ruins the mood for me. The ending of Star Trek 6 would have *sucked* if they tried those same shots with CGI ships. The torpedoes blasting through the saucer sections of the Enterprise and Excelsior would've been replaced with a little bit of glow and some scorch marks. The exploding Bird of Prey, ohhhhh they would've just removed the ship altogether and replaced it with a stock explosion clip.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Voyager failed hard, it was such a waste of potential, Ron Moore tried to fix things up when he tried going over after DS9 but from what I understand they didn't care and the writing staff were pretty much incompetent.
Ira Steven Behr and Moore would've made Voyager as incredible as DS9.

I can't even sit through a Voyager episode these days.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2012, 11:30 PM
I think it had the potential to be a "theme" of that particular season. If they were allowed to do something a bit more permanent with it. Replace a few of the characters, by the end of the season, for example I'd have probably had just Janeway, Paris, Torres, The doctor and 7 survive it. Would have had Tuvok, Chakotay and the invincible Harry Kim die in the most heroic and sacrfiicingly awesome ways possible.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-25-2012, 01:45 AM
Enterprise Season 3 was more along the lines of what Voyager should've been all those years, a constant struggle, the ship barely holding together, the crew on the verge of losing it due to the stress of what they're going through, cut off from Starfleet.

Voyager made everything look like a holiday, terrible weak writing and all round crap story telling.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-25-2012, 04:19 AM
Voyager is my favorite trek series. It had the best crew and the best ship.

Year of hell wouldn't work as a plot for entire season. We would see the ship being gradually destroyed, some members of the crew would die other characters would evolve and than at the end of the season Janeway would reset the entire timeline? This would be the biggest disappointment in the trek franchise, matched only by the Abrams movie.

Reversing events that happened over two hours (from the viewer perspective) is something different than reversing events of 20 weeks.

If it would be a movie I would go to see it.