Lt. Commander
# 41
02-22-2012, 01:47 PM
We've always had these type of people around. The internet gives them a voice where before most of these people would have no communication with the outside world.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Sorry, I've been around since 2 weeks after the original 2009 closed beta launched, through open beta, etc - and sorry, the forum comminity was just as volitile as it us today (Hell, more than one person was taking shots at Kestrel's writing ability; calling for her firing, etc - and again, this was in 2009 closed beta.)

Overall, though the STO ciommunity has been overall more literate overall, and in general FAR less combative then most other MMO communities. (Yes, there are alwats exceptions and a few who go off th deep end at the reading of something they don't like/agree with; but that's less common here.

Still, after some of the threads and doomsayer comments in 2009 closed bet and STO headstart, I myself wouldn't classify it as 'near-utopian' by any stretch. YMMV.
Guess I was mega lucky.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftillman View Post
Which suggests a solution. If some one posts a rude attack against employees of cryptic or othe posters, ban them instead of tolerating it.
That's already the case. The profanity laced posts in the article are moderated. Profanity laced posts on these forums are moderated. Those rules already exist.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-22-2012, 02:14 PM
I often wonder if in our communities case, if the root cause is that many of us don't understand the development process. Many of us will ask for something, or point out a problem and think the solution is simple. In reality, we're trying to develop in a vacuum.

The process is much more complex and there are many players than we, as a group, see. Once we understand that, then the "simple gameplay addition" or "easy fix" becomes something quite different. Since we don't have that basic understanding, many get frustrated and vent on the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
That's already the case. The profanity laced posts in the article are moderated. Profanity laced posts on these forums are moderated. Those rules already exist.
It's not just the profanity filled posts. It's the rude and self entitled posts. I would propose much more stringent standards.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefram Cochrane View Post
Since we don't have that basic understanding, many get frustrated and vent on the forums.
Not to mention those times where we as consumers want something that simply conflicts with the business goals of making money.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Great article! And I think it's certainty not the whole STO community, just a very vocal part of it. TrekRage is a special kind of Nerdrage.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftillman View Post
It's not just the profanity filled posts. It's the rude and self entitled posts. I would propose much more stringent standards.
Rudeness exists. And has existed. For quite a long time. If a company can't deal with rude customers, they're not doing a good job.

Self-entitlement stems from the act of the customer purchasing goods and services. That will always create a feeling of entitlement. Because the person spent money.

I don't think more stringent standards are needed, nor could they work.

Take out the the profanity laden diatribes from the article and two things happen:

1- The article loses a lot of its entertainment value and people don't link it, talk about it or read it as widely. (Yellow journalism in the virtual world).
2- The actual criticism of what the Bioware person posted is still very robust and still very detailed.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Rudeness exists. And has existed. For quite a long time. If a company can't deal with rude customers, they're not doing a good job.

Self-entitlement stems from the act of the customer purchasing goods and services. That will always create a feeling of entitlement. Because the person spent money.

I don't think more stringent standards are needed, nor could they work.

Take out the the profanity laden diatribes from the article and two things happen:

1- The article loses a lot of its entertainment value and people don't link it, talk about it or read it as widely. (Yellow journalism in the virtual world).
2- The actual criticism of what the Bioware person posted is still very robust and still very detailed.
I disagree.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-22-2012, 02:40 PM
lol gamer entitlement, we get more entitled as content is striped out and sold separately. this has nothing to do with some new trend, she was just the latest target of anonymous, 4chan, reddit, the internet hate machine basically. that's were the angriest of gamers hang out, and they don't like their rpgs being turned into this fetish filled, gay sex dating sim.

that's this helper person's contribution to everything bioware makes, its also proboly why mass effect 3 has this laughable story mode were you basically invincible and could walk through the whole game without firing a shot. is it there because they think they are such good writers that people would rather walk from cut scene to cut scene having no interest in the game play? is that maybe a bit arrogant, or insane? did the angriest people on the internet call them out on it the only way they know how? i think so...

this, the bad handling of the TOR forums, and being absorbed by ea is why people think bioware is going down the tubes. games have been made disturbingly casual, simplified, and just crappy of late. what we love is being destroyed by console shovelware that has no creativity or substance. game companies arent creative places anymore, they are oppressed corporate dungeons.

why are gamers so mad lately? fetchers of previous tiles don't make it into sequels, damnable, insulting day 1 dlcs, pre order bonuses that you cant get all of, and then charging full price for the game after they cut all this out of the retail version. these are single player games, not FTP mmo's, its grossly unacceptable, its vile and slimy and it is the cause of our hate, they should be expecting it. they are generating the hate they are receiving, it didn't come about in a vacuum. and those that are the angriest struck at this soft target.