Lt. Commander
# 21
09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieFlatline_01 View Post
So, I think I may have misunderstood what was meant by "microtransactions". Is this something to do with a player-based economy, or does it mean that you'll be able to pay Cryptic $5 real-world currency for a new paint job on your ship?
Could somebody please fill me in?
here ya go:

http://www.champions-online.com/store
http://www.champions-online.com/cryptic_points
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofhyrule730 View Post
thanks for the post I did not have both links
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-03-2009, 12:10 PM
yea, thanks for posting those Knight
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Ahh I see. Thanks Dext / Knight.
It seems kinda silly to spend your hard-earned cash on this stuff, but as long as it doesn't create an imbalance in the actual gameplay for people who can't afford this stuff, I don't see what the big deal is.
Haha it's like an MMO boob-job. As long as it's purely cosmetic, it seems like the only people who should be upset about it are purists who can't mind their own business, and people who secretly wanna be squeezing those fakies but just can't afford it, lol! :p
Sorry, I don't mean to flame, I guess I'm just kinda surprised that this is what some of the previously-posted hullabaloo is about.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-03-2009, 12:14 PM
good article ...i love the inferred comment to the starfleet chop shop ..... i can see it now instead of OCC its OCSS (Orange County Star Ships) maybe pauley or Paul senior could do the pinstriping on my Akira Class !!
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieFlatline_01 View Post
Ahh I see. Thanks Dext / Knight.
It seems kinda silly to spend your hard-earned cash on this stuff, but as long as it doesn't create an imbalance in the actual gameplay for people who can't afford this stuff, I don't see what the big deal is.
Haha it's like an MMO boob-job. As long as it's purely cosmetic, it seems like the only people who should be upset about it are purists who can't mind their own business, and people who secretly wanna be squeezing those fakies but just can't afford it, lol! :p
Sorry, I don't mean to flame, I guess I'm just kinda surprised that this is what some of the previously-posted hullabaloo is about.
Jack Emmert has said that "most" of the buyable items are going to be attainable ingame as well. so, even if someone can buy an item that will increase their ship's abilities, you should still be able to obtain whatever items they have bought but through normal game means (and free). it would just take some time.
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemloor
Normally i would never say anything like this and would be all about trying to calm everyone down and getting them to play nice, but WTF!!!!!! ARE YOU THINKING, CRYPTIC!!!? I can tell you right now that if it wasn't for the fact that this game is based on a series of series' that i grew up on i would cancel my subscription before the game even got to beta! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY GAMES I NEVER EVEN TRIED BECAUSE OF THIS CRAP!? Here we are ready to cough up our 15 bucks a month in order to play this game, and you decide that you are going to charge people for those little extra knick knacks that many other games give out for free JUST TO MAKE AN EXTRA BUCK HERE AND THERE! Whatever happened to going the extra mile to make a customer happy? Whatever happened to COMMON COURTESY!? Greedy @$$holes!
Wow

Calm down, man. They're not evil or anything. I promise. In the end, their job is to make money. Just the same as mine and most likely yours as well.

Why are we still talking about MTs, anyway?
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-03-2009, 12:53 PM
People get paid to write that sh*t?
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-03-2009, 12:54 PM
The anti-microtransactions argument seems to come down to one of two positions, it seems to me.

1) Microtransactions will allow people to spend money to get costumes or ship paint jobs that [the complainant] doesn't want other people to have access to.

2) Microtransactions will allow people to spend money to get costumes or ship paint jobs that [the complainant] doesn't want to have to pay for, when they could get it for free.

I'm not worried about the immersion argument -- and I'm huge on immersion -- because I honestly believe that Cryptic will be keeping the paint/costume options within theme. For one thing? I don't think they have any choice. CBS/Paramount are rabid when it comes to the Star Trek IP. (I did some writing for one of the PnP Trek RPGs -- there wasn't a thing we did that didn't have to pass through the home office before it could go live.) CBS Home isn't going to let Cryptic dilute the brand identity or damage the IP any more than is absolutely necessary.

That doesn't mean there might not be some additional splashes of color or different base coats on a given starship -- but that was also true in the series. If you look at the big DS9 battle scenes, you see ships with lots of little 'non-standard' touches, to help with individuality and identification. So yeah, you might be able to put some red or black on your ship, or make your ship Star Trek: Enterprise era dark grey, TOS light grey, TMP white, or TNG white with blue and red bits.

That you don't want someone else to make their ship NX-01 Grey because you don't like it doesn't form a compelling argument for me. My attitude is 'play your own game, and let other people play their own game. If you don't like seeing a non-standard uniform in a spaceport, get back in your ship and go exploring with your own crew.

The second argument has more weight with me... but comes from a faulty set of logic. "I have bought this game, and I am paying a monthly fee for this game. For that money, I should be getting access to everything anyone else gets in this game. There should never be something Bob can have that I can't, just because Bob has more money."

I dunno. Growing up, I bought a lot of Star Wars action figures and playsets. My sister bought a lot of Barbies. At no point did the Barbie Dream House and Dream Car she bought entitle her to get the extra clothing packs she could buy for free. At no point did my owning three different costumed Han Solos give me automatic access to own -- or even buy -- a Boba Fett. I had to make four other purchases for 'points,' then send them in along with money for the Boba Fett.

My entire life, if I have have wanted to improve my toys or my games, I have had to pay for that privilege.

It is the same with video games. If I want to play a Blood Elf in WoW, it doesn't matter how many months of subscription payments I pay -- I have to go out and buy Burning Crusade. Until then, I can't have Blood Elves. Period. My subcription fee gets me lots of content updates and gets me access to the server, but it doesn't give me Blood Elves. To get new content back in the Everquest days, you bought increasing numbers of expansion packs. They might update stuff too, but they expect you to pay for it.

When Romulans become a player faction, they're going to charge us for it (most likely). There will be a new box, and it will open up new areas of the galaxy and new neutral zones between the Romulans and the Klingons, the Romulans and the Federation, and almost certainly a 'neutral triangle' of all three factions. And if we want in on them, we will have to pony up the cash for them. Until then, we can continue to play the game we've actually paid for, which our server fees continue to give us access to.

Those situations will actually change the game, and we'll be expected to pay for them. When we're talking about custom uniforms? Or being able to put a red ring on our Defiant class ship's saucer section like we saw in DS9? If I'm not allowed to do that without paying and Bob is allowed to do it because he paid, that will change my game experience exactly 0%. I will still have the game I paid for, I will still be able to play it, and Bob will not be able to earn a Galaxy Class ship any faster than I can, even if he can add an attractive red ring to it when he gets it.

When did we as a culture start expecting to get everything we want for free? If you want a red ring on your ship, pay the fifty cents for it. If you don't want to spend fifty cents of your hard earned cash, then oh no -- no red ring.

And just because you don't like red rings doesn't mean I shouldn't get to put them on my ship.

Yeesh.
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemloor
Normally i would never say anything like this and would be all about trying to calm everyone down and getting them to play nice, but WTF!!!!!! ARE YOU THINKING, CRYPTIC!!!? I can tell you right now that if it wasn't for the fact that this game is based on a series of series' that i grew up on i would cancel my subscription before the game even got to beta! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY GAMES I NEVER EVEN TRIED BECAUSE OF THIS CRAP!? Here we are ready to cough up our 15 bucks a month in order to play this game, and you decide that you are going to charge people for those little extra knick knacks that many other games give out for free JUST TO MAKE AN EXTRA BUCK HERE AND THERE! Whatever happened to going the extra mile to make a customer happy? Whatever happened to COMMON COURTESY!? Greedy @$$holes!
I imagined what your, and other similar poster's, reputation and credibility looked like after inflammatory remarks like this.

And I saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz65AOjabtM

Yeah. That's about right.