Lt. Commander
# 41
09-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Good on Cryptic for not hiding or ignoring the reviews that aren't the most shining and praising.
Lt. Commander
# 42
09-03-2009, 04:06 PM
The writer of that article seems like he based his opinion of the game from whatever he's seen online of it and what he's read on the STO forums; basically, he's another glorified forum poster writing for an overproduced webmag using poorly informed opinions as the basis for his review.

Anyway...

Quote:
sssooooooooooooo...... is there going to be a logical reason as to why the federation and the Klingon defence force are allowing their captains to custom paint their ships and uniforms?????

This makes NO SENCE.

plus one of the reasons I like MMO's is that with a low monthly fee, your in a world where everyone is equal. (besides those who cheat and buy gold) and there is no difference between someone who has $20/mo of free spending money that he spends on the subscription, and someone who has hundreds of dollars to spend.
Since I don't play WoW, I don't know what they have to offer, but other games I play offer a lot of content to purchase with real money. EQ2 sells whole characters on their Station Exchange that people have created and built up over time and, for whatever reason, have decided to get rid of. You can buy potions and items on their Station Cash system that can provide great boosts for your characters. So, where's the "everyone is equal" part come in? Sure, they're equal if neither one spends any money on items that enhance their characters, but if they have the werewithal, I'm sure they'd at least consider it.

Quote:
Micro-transactions gives those with superiority in wealth in RL superiority in customization in game. and this takes away from the equality and enjoyment of the MMO. its also not what Star Trek is about. Star Trek is about a society that has moved beyond money as a means to measure success. and Micro-transactions drags the whole game back a few centuries.
Try telling that to the Ferengi; see how far it gets you.

It only takes enjoyment away from those angry that they can't afford to spend the money for micro-transactions, and I'm sorry, but if people are really going to allow themselves to let that poison their interest in STO, then I'd bet they weren't that interested in it to begin with.

[quote]Your not sticking to the promise of making a universe that us Trek fans can experience a "TRUE" trek experience. Comon guys its not that hard.[/QUOTE}

What YOU define as "a TRUE Trek experience" is not necessarily the same for anyone else, so that statement doesn't really hold any water. Sorry.

Quote:
Stick to the laws of Science Fiction. Make everything plausible. Make the game feel as if this could actually be the real future.

THIS IS NOT A FANTASY GAME ITS SCI-FI. no future society would allow captains to decide how their uniform will look, or the paint job of their ship, unless it directly pertains to a mission objective. Get real guys. My cryptic love meter drops even further for this one.
There are no "laws of science fiction". Any true science fiction fan would attest to that. Personally, I think the idea of different uniform styles actually adds to the "sci-fi" element. I could do with a change to the Unitarian style. It's not the uniform; it's the officer wearing it, after all.
Lt. Commander
# 43
09-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borysthenis

And consider the real armed forces -- can you imagine soldiers in the field altering or decorating their uniforms, painting their helicopters or tanks. I know, let's go nuts -- can you imagine someone painting a pinup girl on the nosecone of a bomber?
oddly enough, i never even thought of how real world soldiers customize their uniforms (or vehicles). you are totally right. im glad weve found a real world example of ship customization.

http://img229.imageshack.us/i/z2jo4....eeth%20painted
Lt. Commander
# 44
09-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Quote:
(Sense.)

Rule of Acquisition #75: Home is where the heart is, but the stars are made of latinum! Just because you hoo-mon-centrics think you own the twenty-fourth century's economic underpinnings doesn't make it true!
Nice.

ok, you got me. You also stated your views without insulting me. We all have faults and calling me less intelligent for my personal views on the way Cryptic is taking the game is childish.

Anyway, you have a good point. I personally want a bridge commander form of fighting, and I want to be immersed in the star trek universe that feels like the TV shows I grew up with. I understand that not everyone shares my opinions, but they are still valid.

My arguments are emotional in nature. ever since I was a child I dreamed of captaining my own star fleet ship. This game is the first real chance I have at fulfilling that dream. And personally I don't want to see Pink star fleet ships flying around. Or captains in decked out uniforms.

I think what would be interesting though is if they offered personal living quarters on a planet or space station that you could decorate. and your ready room, or quarters on your ship.

also allow you to buy a captains yacht to decorate, and civi's to decorate. but keep the ship and uniforms in standard colors.

If you wanna have micro-transactions to buy civilian cloths, and personal vessels that would be awesome, I would completely support that. In fact I think the ability to take off your uniform, and leave your ship behind, and walk around on leave as a civilian for a while would add a lot to the game for little effort on the devs side. as well as having a personal living quarters where you could entertain guests, play some 3d chess or other trek games, ect. and a ready room to show off your trophies.

I know that not the whole community agrees with me, but I really think that this is taking a step away from the star trek universe. I know its just a game, but I've dreamed of a game like this for 15 years, and I have high, probably unrealistic expectations, and I'm going to voice my opinion when I feel its necessary. I respect people who have other view as mine, so tearing me down for my opinions is rude.

I've been following the development of STO since 2006, and I was a very active poster on STOnet. but recently I've reserved my opinions for when I felt I actually had something to say that hasn't already been said adequately.

As a sci-fi fan I watch these shows and movies because they seem plausible. I can't stand most movies these days because they ask me to believe ridiculous things. Many modern sci-fis fall flat on their face because they take too many liberties with science without explaining it with science fiction.

If captains are going to have control over the paint job of their uniforms and ships, it outa have an explanation. and it should make sense. (I spelled it correctly that time)
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
There are no "laws of science fiction". Any true science fiction fan would attest to that. Personally, I think the idea of different uniform styles actually adds to the "sci-fi" element. I could do with a change to the Unitarian style. It's not the uniform; it's the officer wearing it, after all.
Further, there are tons of examples of people wearing different uniforms than their fellows in Star Trek. I mentioned Kirk's weird girdle-shirt and Picard's grey shirt and red suede coat before. Consider Pulaski in the second season -- her uniform was entirely unlike anyone else. Consider the number of Starfleet personnel who continued to wear the Season 1-4 uniforms after the fifth season, largely because Paramount wouldn't want to spend the money to replace all of them. Consider Counselor Troi, who for six seasons typically wore a low cut lavender lycra bodysuit -- even when she was beaming down to planets on Away Teams as part of a contact team.

And consider how in Deep Space 9, the DS9 crew initially wore jumpsuits while starship crews wore tunics and slacks, even though they were all part of the same organization -- implying that Starfleet has willingly embraced 'alternate' uniforms based upon missions in the past.

For that matter, consider Scotty's later movie vest and coat combo, which didn't look like anyone else's uniform. Or the various women from the movies through TNG who could choose to wear skirted uniforms or slacks as they chose.

Starfleet seems entirely happy to give captains and (often) crews discretion in how the uniforms of a given ship are implemented.
Lt. Commander
# 46
09-03-2009, 05:06 PM
i dont understand how people can put so much faith in the negativity of a game preview on a game that is slightly more than have complete, and not even in closed beta yet

i think each of these reviews that we've seen pop up of late should be taken with a grain of salt...dont get too high with the highs or too low with the lows kinda deal

i agree with a previous posters assessment of this one being a "forum-gripe-like-review" i got a certain juvenile feeling from it after reading it
Lt. Commander
# 47
09-03-2009, 05:06 PM
It's funny you'd think that since I've been on these forums awhile I would have seen some of these "Nerd gone wild" about these microtransactions they spent half the article talking about. But I think I've only seen one maybe two threads on the topic, I never read those because honestly I don't care. I'm a huge trekker so I'll probably spend a lot of time on an RP world, if they leave PvP in those, so I'm not going to "trick my ride." I was just fine with the stock costume selections in CoH I'm sure the same will go for STO, anyway I only plan on rolling the old school light grey, with black lettering.

I'm sorry but people who care about having a "sweet paint job" on a Star Trek vessel should have to pay.
Lt. Commander
# 48
09-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frojoe2004 View Post
I think what would be interesting though is if they offered personal living quarters on a planet or space station that you could decorate. and your ready room, or quarters on your ship.
Recognizing you and I have different opinions about the micro-transaction issue, we can both come together in peace and brotherhood over a continuing desire to be able to customize our quarters and ready room.

(I know -- not at launch, but at some point after. I can be patient. Really.)
Lt. Commander
# 49
09-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorgse View Post
It's funny you'd think that since I've been on these forums awhile I would have seen some of these "Nerd gone wild" about these microtransactions they spent half the article talking about. But I think I've only seen one maybe two threads on the topic, I never read those because honestly I don't care. I'm a huge trekker so I'll probably spend a lot of time on an RP world, if they leave PvP in those, so I'm not going to "trick my ride." I was just fine with the stock costume selections in CoH I'm sure the same will go for STO, anyway I only plan on rolling the old school light grey, with black lettering.
On my side, on the uniform side of things... while I'm glad I have the option whether I add money or not to adjust my crew's (and my characters') uniforms... I have to admit, I really like the new Cryptic Era uniforms we've seen in PC Magazine.
Lt. Commander
# 50
09-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Quote:
On my side, on the uniform side of things... while I'm glad I have the option whether I add money or not to adjust my crew's (and my characters') uniforms... I have to admit, I really like the new Cryptic Era uniforms we've seen in PC Magazine.
Exactly, Cryptic always has crazy good character creation variation. You know this will carry over to STO. I don't need teeth on the nose of my BoP, or flames on the saucer section of my Akira. If you want them, that's great, cough up 5 bucks for extra uniform or paint job options.