Lt. Commander
# 61
09-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Well Shatterface, I'll be sure to spot those with the tricked out paint jobs and the blinging uniforms and chuckle that they spent money on looking dumb. Like it or not, sport, this is a star trek game....you read that? star trek game...not the woodstock of mmo's where you can just say "whatever man, let's just do whatever and make it look like whatever and no one's view is right or wrong." There IS a true star trek experience and you don't seem to grasp that. MT's are dumb and poorly veiled justifications by weak reasons. Everyone knows what they're for.

The ships have to look trek, the combat must be trek and the uniforms must be trek. You don't see army officers who have different uniforms at the same level. They can't just add "flare" like bell bottoms and ridiculously tall collars. Get real.
Beyond the multiple Trek and real world examples of uniform (and real work) customization, you actually have the nub of the argument in your statement. This is a Star Trek game. It is not a television series, it is not a movie, it is a game played by players, all of whom have their own desires and expectations for their own 'true Star Trek experience.'

You're right -- the ships do have to look Trek, the combat has to feel like Trek and the crews have to imply Trek. However, your thought that that's anti-customization is, quite honestly, narrow minded. We all have our own image of the 'one true Trek Experience,' and customization lets us get closer to it without majorly impacting the overall look and feel.

The paint options won't make Starfleet vessels stop looking like Starfleet vessels. If nothing else, the IP folks at CBS won't allow it. But there is a broad range of what that can mean -- is the darker grey of the NX-01 out of bounds? What about the near-white of the movie Enterprise or the different white of the TNG Enterprise. Are color rings on the saucer section (which we have, in fact, seen in the shows) out of bounds? If I really like the TOS round nacelles, can I put them on my ship even though they're two hundred years out of fashion? If to me Star Trek means single color tunic shirts, can I have then -- there's a plethora of examples of them in the source material, not the least of which is the massively successful movie that just came out. My wife is the one person in America who loves the "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" style pajama uniforms. Is it okay for her to have them on her crew? What about movie-style uniform coats? What about First season TNG jumpsuits? What about Voyager jumpsuits or DS9/late movie grey paneled jumpsuits with dickies? What about ST: Enterprise ball caps?

Can I put my helm officer in a skirt? Can I put my engineer in a kilt? Can I put my CMO in a Pulaski-style smock or even a teal lab coat like Crusher?

My 'true Star Trek experience' isn't going to match up to yours. We're going to want different things from this game. That doesn't, believe it or not, make me wrong and you right. It makes us different, and makes our response to a decades old franchise different too. But consider this: if many of the more esoteric customization options don't match your idea of Star Trek (maybe you hate TMP style pajama uniforms with a passion), with microtransactions you not only don't have to have them, you don't even have to pay for them. You can vote your disdain for them with your wallet. And if you do decide you want them, assuming their costs are comparable to stuff we've seen in the Cryptic Store in Champions Online, you'd only have to drop at most a buck or two for them -- that's not too far out of hand for almost anyone.
Lt. Commander
# 62
09-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borysthenis
Beyond the multiple Trek and real world examples of uniform (and real work) customization, you actually have the nub of the argument in your statement. This is a Star Trek game. It is not a television series, it is not a movie, it is a game played by players, all of whom have their own desires and expectations for their own 'true Star Trek experience.'

You're right -- the ships do have to look Trek, the combat has to feel like Trek and the crews have to imply Trek. However, your thought that that's anti-customization is, quite honestly, narrow minded. We all have our own image of the 'one true Trek Experience,' and customization lets us get closer to it without majorly impacting the overall look and feel.

The paint options won't make Starfleet vessels stop looking like Starfleet vessels. If nothing else, the IP folks at CBS won't allow it. But there is a broad range of what that can mean -- is the darker grey of the NX-01 out of bounds? What about the near-white of the movie Enterprise or the different white of the TNG Enterprise. Are color rings on the saucer section (which we have, in fact, seen in the shows) out of bounds? If I really like the TOS round nacelles, can I put them on my ship even though they're two hundred years out of fashion? If to me Star Trek means single color tunic shirts, can I have then -- there's a plethora of examples of them in the source material, not the least of which is the massively successful movie that just came out. My wife is the one person in America who loves the "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" style pajama uniforms. Is it okay for her to have them on her crew? What about movie-style uniform coats? What about First season TNG jumpsuits? What about Voyager jumpsuits or DS9/late movie grey paneled jumpsuits with dickies? What about ST: Enterprise ball caps?

Can I put my helm officer in a skirt? Can I put my engineer in a kilt? Can I put my CMO in a Pulaski-style smock or even a teal lab coat like Crusher?

My 'true Star Trek experience' isn't going to match up to yours. We're going to want different things from this game. That doesn't, believe it or not, make me wrong and you right. It makes us different, and makes our response to a decades old franchise different too. But consider this: if many of the more esoteric customization options don't match your idea of Star Trek (maybe you hate TMP style pajama uniforms with a passion), with microtransactions you not only don't have to have them, you don't even have to pay for them. You can vote your disdain for them with your wallet. And if you do decide you want them, assuming their costs are comparable to stuff we've seen in the Cryptic Store in Champions Online, you'd only have to drop at most a buck or two for them -- that's not too far out of hand for almost anyone.
As long as it's starfleet regulation you can! And who knows what starfleet regulation is in 2409? I don't, but apparently all these examples given are part of Starfleet regulation.
Lt. Commander
# 63
09-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorgse View Post
As long as it's starfleet regulation you can! And who knows what starfleet regulation is in 2409? I don't, but apparently all these examples given are part of Starfleet regulation.
Part of the 'feel' of the 2409 Starfleet may harken back to the Original Series -- at that point, there was a great sense of esprit de corps for individual ships, in part reflected by unique insignia for each ship. (The Enterprise 'Broad arrow' was just one of many such logos, as you'll recall.) With the tensions along the neutral zones, the renewed spirit of exploration and the overwhelming sense of danger from other events, Starfleet may have elected to return to such practices, only this time they do it with uniforms instead of insignia.

We may also be seeing greater use of regulations that have always been around.
Lt. Commander
# 64
09-04-2009, 12:52 PM
I'd have to say the discussion concerning the article is a lot more interesting (and insightful) than the article itself!
Lt. Commander
# 65
09-04-2009, 01:29 PM
With all this talk of uniform customization...I am hard pressed to get the image of a burly male Klingon in a chest hair exposing wife beater, mini skirt, and vinyl hooker boots
Lt. Commander
# 66
09-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borysthenis
Part of the 'feel' of the 2409 Starfleet may harken back to the Original Series -- at that point, there was a great sense of esprit de corps for individual ships, in part reflected by unique insignia for each ship. (The Enterprise 'Broad arrow' was just one of many such logos, as you'll recall.) With the tensions along the neutral zones, the renewed spirit of exploration and the overwhelming sense of danger from other events, Starfleet may have elected to return to such practices, only this time they do it with uniforms instead of insignia.

We may also be seeing greater use of regulations that have always been around.
Thank you for an explication that makes sense. All I need is for changes to be explained. If things are to be changed for game play reasons, as a science fiction game it needs an explanation.

Much like in the show, many things like the transporter were created for budget reasons (cheaper than a shuttle scene to each planet). and they created a plausible explanation as to how it worked.

The more time I let these ideas sit in my mind, and the more distance I have from the initial emotional response to seeing a game that didn't fit my preconceived notions, the more I begin to accept what Cryptic is doing.

But I still don't like Micro-Transactions. the monthly fee is plenty to support the MMO, the MT's are just to add to their profits, and I'm not a fan of this profit motivated society. I would make a very bad Ferengi.
Lt. Commander
# 67
09-04-2009, 09:51 PM
i think the game looks awsom so far so there
Lt. Commander
# 68
09-06-2009, 06:28 PM
MMOzine gave Star Trek Online a 65% on First Impressions and then turned around and gave Blizzard a 95% for WoW: Cataclysm. It is very clear what they are doing to 'kiss up' for certain companies.
Lt. Commander
# 69
09-06-2009, 11:23 PM
i'll be keeping my ship and crew attire standard....unless they allow small single color stripe..then that may make an appearance (if it looks good)
Lt. Commander
# 70
09-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieFlatline_01 View Post
then passed the whole game off with an offhand, shallowly substantiated comparison to "Pirates of the Burning Sea".
!

Actually if the ship to combat is as good as PotBS is (without the imbalance of SoL) then STO will have much more interesting combat then most other MMOs.

I just hope that STO doesn't make the same mistake as CO and make the game so soloable that there is no need or reward for teaming up. That makes for a boring MMO. But again if ship to ship combat is comparable to PotBS then that shouldn't be too much of a problem.