Lt. Commander
# 121
03-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
The main clue for me is the decking and windows, which are basically how the designers (retroactively) figured out scale anyhow after they designed the ship.

There are more decks, total, on the Excelsior Class than there are on the Ambassador Class. To me, that says one of two things:
  • Individual decks on the Excelsior are smaller than they are on the Ambassador. Or..
  • The Ambassador is in fact smaller than the Excelsior, just designed with more rounded, filled lines, and thus looks bigger.

I tend to go with the smaller Ambassador, just because bigger decks doesn't make much sense to me.
The problem lies with the too small decks of the Excelsior, which is a known issue of the model.

The alternative is that the Galaxy and Ambasador are actually both wrong:

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2442/galambcomp.jpg

which I seriously doubt.

The curved windows on the saucers and on the Galaxy's secondary hull are obviously distorted and are not such a good way to measure the decks but when you look at the nearly vertical windows on both ships's necks you'll see their size and distance is almost identical.
So I'd say the Galaxy and Ambassador have the same deck structure and also rather similar-scaled windows.

With regards to the Excelsior:
there are some additional oddities about that ship as the MSD of the Enterprise-B shows a ship with some 34 decks.

This article sheds some light onto this matter.
I'd like to ask that you at least read the part called window rowswhich explains what I mean:

http://ex-astris-scientia.org/articl...lsior-size.htm
Lt. Commander
# 122
03-19-2012, 05:24 PM
here's the problem i see the devs having with coming out with the ambassador class. they usually come out with the original/replica than a refit or retrofit. since the enterprise-c is lower tier then the galaxy class. what tier would they put it in. i know they should of came out with it sooner but wouldacouldashouldas don't help now. how do they resolve this key issue.

P.S. don't say just make ambassador class tier 5 cause technically it's weaker compaired to the other tier 5 ships. and if they came out with a tier 3/4 ambassador class would u still buy it.
Lt. Commander
# 123
03-19-2012, 05:37 PM
As far as viewing scale goes, I disregard the window placement entirely. I go with how the trophy wall in Picard's Ready Room displays all the Enterprise's next to one another. As I believe that to be far more reliable.
Lt. Commander
# 124
03-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi'a Meese
As far as viewing scale goes, I disregard the window placement entirely. I go with how the trophy wall in Picard's Ready Room displays all the Enterprise's next to one another. As I believe that to be far more reliable.
The problem with that is the Ambassador seen on the wall is not the same as the one on screen, same for the B I believe.

The reasons for that are real world of course, but that does mean the wall hanging should be taken as an abstract and not scale.
Lt. Commander
# 125
03-19-2012, 06:02 PM
According to what I understand of Stahl's previous comments, the Ambassador will be put in-game when they can exploit it for as much cash as possible (i.e. a Featured Series or some major game event where they can ramp up the hype) and not before.
Lt. Commander
# 126
03-20-2012, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaarashi
here's the problem i see the devs having with coming out with the ambassador class. they usually come out with the original/replica than a refit or retrofit. since the enterprise-c is lower tier then the galaxy class. what tier would they put it in. i know they should of came out with it sooner but wouldacouldashouldas don't help now. how do they resolve this key issue.

P.S. don't say just make ambassador class tier 5 cause technically it's weaker compaired to the other tier 5 ships. and if they came out with a tier 3/4 ambassador class would u still buy it.
I would still buy it, but i'm boycotting the C-Store for the time being...
Lt. Commander
# 127
03-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
According to what I understand of Stahl's previous comments, the Ambassador will be put in-game when they can exploit it for as much cash as possible (i.e. a Featured Series or some major game event where they can ramp up the hype) and not before.
I have to laugh, if only because... why do they NEED to exploit it? I mean, hello... it is arguably the most asked for ship since beta! I find it difficult to believe that they wouldn’t make more money by simply releasing it to the C-Store, rather than, putting all the effort in to include it in some halfhearted FE.

My point is… given how often it has been asked for, it will sell itself.
Lt. Commander
# 128
03-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Well, they could put her at least on the same tier as the current Excelsior (in both versions) because unless Starfleet was having a case of "let's make a ship that's useless" they probably woulnd't have bult the Ambassador nor given one of them the name "Enterprise" but would have repeated what they did with the Enterprise-and Enterprise-A and just assigned the name to another Excelsior.

Quote:

That is correct insofar that all non-native T5 ships are weaker in their base version than T5.
That is however not true for their T5 incarnations.
Lt. Commander
# 129
03-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Quote:

P.S. don't say just make ambassador class tier 5 cause technically it's weaker compared to the other tier 5 ships. and if they came out with a tier 3/4 ambassador class would u still buy it.
I don't think what "tier" the lower version of the Ambassador should that big of a deal. As long as there's an end-game version, who cares if the initial one is T2.5, T3, or T3.5. If that's the biggest problem, then they are over-thinking and over-complicating things.

BTW....Who says they "need" to make (2) versions? Could just make one T5 and say Starfleet Fleetyards just completely refit the Ambassador, like they did with the NX-01. Then give it 2-3 alternative skins. K.I.S.S.
Lt. Commander
# 130
03-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Well, they could put her at least on the same tier as the current Excelsior (in both versions) because unless Starfleet was having a case of "let's make a ship that's useless" they probably woulnd't have bult the Ambassador nor given one of them the name "Enterprise" but would have repeated what they did with the Enterprise-and Enterprise-A and just assigned the name to another Excelsior.

That is correct insofar that all non-native T5 ships are weaker in their base version than T5.
That is however not true for their T5 incarnations.
ok true /10char