Lt. Commander
# 11
02-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpoman
I mean, really? Their grenades can kill me from full strength, but mine can't even kill a lower level enemy who's at half health with no protection. How, may I ask, is that elite? It's not, is it? It's just hard beyond reason or definition.

I'm sorry Cryptic/PW, but this needs to be sorted. (No, I don't think I'm important enough to demand such things. But the law of averages would state that I'm not the only person having the same problem or feeling the same way.) Either change the name "Elite" (which as I've said, implies the use of superior tactics are needed) to something else (like "Tough"), or tone down these BS "1 hit kill" OP enemies.

/rant
Uh, thats what Elite means. Enemies are extremely overpowered and difficult to kill. It doesn't imply anything else. This is from the days of DOOM and DOOM 2. The enemies were just plain harder. Superior tactics doesn't really come into it.
Lt. Commander
I know a few people out there want it, but unfortunately to me its just an excercise in masochism for no real point. The drop rate of very rares may be 30x greater, but 30 x near zero is still near zero. I never got a purple drop playing on elite...ever. They'd have to make it 100x or 1000x the drop rate to make it worth taking 10x as long to accomplish the same task. It's not that I can't handle elite...it's just not worth the trouble. I do use advanced sometimes but even that has nothing to do with the bonus rewards.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Yet more proof of OP enemies in Elite.

Mission: Cage of Fire (although, tbh, the mission name is irrelevant) - I've just fired my first shot at a Cardie Gul who's first move is to throw a grenade at me in return. The moment I see the speech bubble saying "Photon Grenade out" above his head, I attempt to roll to the side out of the blast radius (and before anyone starts with the BS insults about how lame I must be - yes, my reactions are upto par, I'm an FPS player by "trade" and my reactions are good enough against other players, real people, in those games), but before my character has finished performing the roll animation, and despite having full health and shields, the grenade explodes IMMEDIATELY and kills me outright. A few minutes later, I throw my own (level III) Photon Grenade at a Cardassian Gil (who is lower in rank and therefore a lesser/easier enemy) who has no shields and roughly half health, and he gets back up and keeps fighting with about 10% health left.

I mean, really? Their grenades can kill me from full strength, but mine can't even kill a lower level enemy who's at half health with no protection. How, may I ask, is that elite? It's not, is it? It's just hard beyond reason or definition.

I'm sorry Cryptic/PW, but this needs to be sorted. (No, I don't think I'm important enough to demand such things. But the law of averages would state that I'm not the only person having the same problem or feeling the same way.) Either change the name "Elite" (which as I've said, implies the use of superior tactics are needed) to something else (like "Tough"), or tone down these BS "1 hit kill" OP enemies.

/rant
The grenade thing can happen. Sometimes they'll get you, but other times you can dodge out of the way. What you need to do is spread your away team out so that you don't all end up going down from the grenade. Having one or two people in your away team go down (including yourself) is pretty common on Elite. You just need to get them back up. And also you need to use cover and cover shields.

Optimal bridge officer skill selection is also necessary. At a minimum you need a dedicated medic and a dedicated engineer with nothing but shield heals. Having a tactical officer or two with Overwatch and Surpressing Fire is also a good idea.

It also helps to take defensive weapons. For example the Pulsewave assault will knock the enemies down, reducing their damage output for a few seconds. Polaron weapons will proc weapons malfunction on the enemies, reducing their damage output.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
I know a few people out there want it, but unfortunately to me its just an excercise in masochism for no real point. The drop rate of very rares may be 30x greater, but 30 x near zero is still near zero. I never got a purple drop playing on elite...ever. They'd have to make it 100x or 1000x the drop rate to make it worth taking 10x as long to accomplish the same task. It's not that I can't handle elite...it's just not worth the trouble. I do use advanced sometimes but even that has nothing to do with the bonus rewards.
Purples are really rare. I've only got one purple drop in all the time I've played on elite. It was a MK VIII Photon Torpedo launcher, which I promptly sold for a million on the exchange (the person who bought it relisted it for 4 million, which I don't think it was worth, but who knows).

The extreme rarity of purple drops is kind of out of line with how easy it is to get purple equipment from dilithium/crafting/etc. Purple drops should be 10-20x more common than they are to be at more parity with the purchasable purples.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-25-2012, 11:28 AM
I find the challenge of elite varies a lot. Sometimes, it is just slightly harder, and then, there are opponents who are just not woundable. Example: Try "Assimilation" on Elite. The Undines where simply unscratchable (literally: not even their shields went vsibly weaker by my four Mk XI [Dmg]x2 Phaser arrays with two phaser relays in place), when I tried this, while the Borg in that mission are quite manageable at Elite. At Advanced, no problem with both factions.

Of course, I largely ignore ground combat, as itis "bwah must do this to finish mission somehow" for me. A captain's place is on the bridge.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-25-2012, 11:58 AM
The harder difficulty pre-pares people for the Elite STF's
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
The grenade thing can happen. Sometimes they'll get you, but other times you can dodge out of the way. What you need to do is spread your away team out so that you don't all end up going down from the grenade. Having one or two people in your away team go down (including yourself) is pretty common on Elite. You just need to get them back up. And also you need to use cover and cover shields.

Optimal bridge officer skill selection is also necessary. At a minimum you need a dedicated medic and a dedicated engineer with nothing but shield heals. Having a tactical officer or two with Overwatch and Surpressing Fire is also a good idea.

It also helps to take defensive weapons. For example the Pulsewave assault will knock the enemies down, reducing their damage output for a few seconds. Polaron weapons will proc weapons malfunction on the enemies, reducing their damage output.
You're not telling me anything I don't already know matey, sorry. In the occurance I was refering to, my away team wasn't taken out by said grenade, I was behind cover, I have bridge officers with optimal skills selected (albeit not the exact ones you mention) and I have a Pulsewave Assault for the very reason you stated.

I'm moaning because, despite all of the above you mention and the skills I bring over from other games, being killed by a single attack (whether it be a grenade from a Cardassian, dual pistols from a Klingon Sword Master or a torpedo volley from a Jem'Hadar Battleship) when it takes us 20, 30 or 40 hits to kill the same enemy, smacks a bit at taking the ****.
Lt. Commander
# 18 Elite is like an STF
02-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Hi boys and girls!

Can I just ask, is there any benefit what-so-ever to playing the Episodes on the Elite setting? Better drops and mission completion rewards?

I only ask because I've only ever played on the Elite setting, but I'm now getting really tired of the stupidly over-powered enemy ships that can take me out in a single torpedo volley. It seems to me that there is no affect in upgrading one's ship with better protection and more damaging weapons, as all this does is increase the damage and punishment the enemy ships can take and dish out. If I had a tank and you had a tank, and I fitted my tank with thicker armour and a bigger gun, the purpose behind doing so would be so my tank would take less damage when your shots hit me and my shots would do more damage to you... but if upgrading my gun and armour magically made your armour and weapons better without you needing to do anything, where-as not upgrading didn't, what's the point in upgrading?

So is it worth dropping down to Normal (or even Advanced) to get away from these BS OP enemies without losing any of the rewards?

Thanks.
That difficulty is pretty much designed for five players like an STF. If you notice, normal STFs are actually pretty easy once you get the tactics down. It's not AS hard as an Elite STF, but it's meant for five players and advanced is meant for more than one
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Well, I guess I don't think it's perfect, but for the most part I don't think it's as bad as all that.

I guess you probably weren't around before the ground combat revamp. Now that was hell. Some of the ground enemies on elite were bugged so they killed you faster than they do now, but they had 10,000 hitpoints. It was literally impossible to kill them as you'd be wiped in about 10 seconds, and they still had 99% of their life left.

So, after that experience, the current system looks great. Sure, some enemies still can kill you pretty damn fast, but at least now you can do the same to them.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Live strong, fight well.

I use epic setting to help with immersion and to better myself as a warrior.