Lt. Commander
# 1 Away team question
02-22-2012, 12:19 PM
I searched and found some old threads over a year old but wanted to find out, is it still a issue where custom maps always beam a full away team with the player?

My first foundry mission is coming along great then hit a brick wall when the captain's vacation of Risa ground to a halt when he went to a 'private resort' to relax and 4 security officers appeared. This completely throws my story for a loop and pretty much ruins the entire thing.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica View Post
I searched and found some old threads over a year old but wanted to find out, is it still a issue where custom maps always beam a full away team with the player?

My first foundry mission is coming along great then hit a brick wall when the captain's vacation of Risa ground to a halt when he went to a 'private resort' to relax and 4 security officers appeared. This completely throws my story for a loop and pretty much ruins the entire thing.
About the only thing you can do is try to trap your boffs outside of the map by spawning in a corner.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
About the only thing you can do is try to trap your boffs outside of the map by spawning in a corner.
LOL ok. Hard to do on a beach!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Hey...this isn't a perfect solution but you can make it work.

You can instruct the player to set a waypoint for the away team when they beam in (maybe an in initial structure of some kind to keep them out of sight). They the player's character can go on about his/her business somewhere else on the map. (Maybe with some dialogue about "go off and have fun of your own now.")

One downside is that if the player ends up respawning, the whole team will respawn with them (but if you don't have a lot of combat or any serious combat at least that's probably not a big issue).
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-22-2012, 02:39 PM
@mygod_itsfullofstars

off-topic: I LOVE your signature
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygod_itsfullofstars
Hey...this isn't a perfect solution but you can make it work.

You can instruct the player to set a waypoint for the away team when they beam in (maybe an in initial structure of some kind to keep them out of sight). They the player's character can go on about his/her business somewhere else on the map. (Maybe with some dialogue about "go off and have fun of your own now.")

One downside is that if the player ends up respawning, the whole team will respawn with them (but if you don't have a lot of combat or any serious combat at least that's probably not a big issue).

Yeah, this is what I did in "Slaves and Seductions." There was no combat, so it worked OK. However, I do wonder how many players out there didn't know what "waypoints" were and how to set them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Yeah, this is what I did in "Slaves and Seductions." There was no combat, so it worked OK. However, I do wonder how many players out there didn't know what "waypoints" were and how to set them.
When I had the player do this in Atlas Affair, I actually described how to do it, just in case. One person actually mentioned in a review that they learned how to do it from the mission, lol. Actually, based on that, probably a lot of people have.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
When I had the player do this in Atlas Affair, I actually described how to do it, just in case. One person actually mentioned in a review that they learned how to do it from the mission, lol. Actually, based on that, probably a lot of people have.
LOL, maybe I should do that. How did you describe it? "Put your cursor on the button next to blah blah blah" or did you add an additional button that was like "I don't understand how to do that."
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2012, 06:32 PM
I just put it all in one dialogue box. If someone already knows how to do it, I figured they could just skip the description. It only takes about 2 sentences to describe the process.

Here's my dialogue box: http://www.nagorak.com/waypointdialogue.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I just put it all in one dialogue box. If someone already knows how to do it, I figured they could just skip the description. It only takes about 2 sentences to describe the process.

Here's my dialogue box: http://www.nagorak.com/waypointdialogue.jpg
Yeah, that seems clear and useful. I will edit mine to do the same when I have time.